Smile BCA and Nerfball

BCA has issued a new video about four methods to do pre-season transceiver search practice.

I invented the "Nerfball method," which they now call the "foam football method." In the video they show a guy hucking the ball way down the field. In my first article about Nerfball (published in the ISSW proceedings) what I recommended was standing at the top of a slope and tossing the ball (with the internal transceiver on transmit) over your shoulder and letting it pinball down the slope. This way you can do solo transceiver practices.

https://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-sci...SW16_P3.48.pdf

https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/...M5ZFYifQ%3D%3D
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

that's a pretty cool technique! Sweet bump and nice innovated technique I hadn't heard of.

not surprised to see that BCA messed up your specific technique, but I cool bump/idea regardless.

Except the playground sand technique..... I'd like to see a TR about someone doing that on a Saturday afternoon.

I'm all about the transceiver (s) buried at the beach in two ziplock baggies. Our rule is that you can't bring your transceiver below your waist while searching to simulate a deeper burial.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

it's a good idea

not to burst your bubble, but we were introduced to a nerf ball toss in my avy 1 in 2009, and it wasn't presented as new then

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    not to burst your bubble, but we were introduced to a nerf ball toss in my avy 1 in 2009, and it wasn't presented as new then
    Not to burst your bubble but Hacksaw cites himself in the article he posted from 2016.....

"Morris, H. 2005. First and Ten Beacon Practice. The Avalanche
    Review. Vol 24, No.1, October 2005, page 9."

Halsted Morris = Hacksaw.

I actually had an article in the old CAIC newsletter: The Beacon about Nerfball in 2004 I think it was.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

well, that would explain that