Page 49 of 100 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2495
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Void the trade because of lawsuit 23 and 24, but not 1-22? Lol

Browns knew EXACTLY what they signed up for. Fuck ‘em
    I agree with the sentiment, but it's more about the Texans actively helping him in this process and covering it up. If they didn't disclose that it's essentially them admitting they knew what was going on and pretending otherwise.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I agree with the sentiment, but it's more about the Texans actively helping him in this process and covering it up. If they didn't disclose that it's essentially them admitting they knew what was going on and pretending otherwise.
    Our posts must have crossed eachother. This is potentially a huge fuckup for the Texans and/or Watson. You do not make the shield look bad, that's the only rule in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yeah, cause everyone knew about 1-22 and had structured the business deal around that due diligence. The Browns, Texans, Watson and the League had to sign off on the deal.

As impossible as it may be, take Watson's shitbag behavior out of it, 9-figure deals get avoided, adjusted, or offset all the time for a breach of a party's representations and warranties (especially if the rep is deemed "fundimental" as the number and amount of accusers/cases would likely be in this case). I may know shit about what actually happened with Watson, the League, the Texans' or the Browns' diligence in this matter, but its my job to structure deals with that many commas in the purchase price; if Watson and/or the Texans withheld material information, or breached their reps, then you can bet your ass the Haslam's attorneys in Nashville are drafting termination language right now.

I'll add to my previous post that after the NYT article came out there is a palpable anger from fans against the team now. As EWG laid out better than I could, they've endured being crapped on for decades and despite that this may have been a win at all costs move, it backfired, horribly, it appears and they're sick of it.
    I still call it The Jake.

Drink the Depression Away Cleveland Browns Support Group

I don’t buy that the Browns brass are getting cold feet. The contract extension shows they accepted a year long ban as a strong possibility from day one.

They showed their cards - despite Watsons actions, a multi year legal fight, the guaranteed money, the draft picks, pending suspension, they think he’s worth it. What a grave miscalculation

I certainly don't think the Browns have any moral justification for an out. Like hatch said, they knew what they were getting into, so fuck em, I feel no sympathy.

That said, BMills is absolutely correct, if this new stuff was known by the Texans (and obviously some of this was) and it wasn't disclosed, that is very problematic and certainly could be grounds for something (what that something is, who knows).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It would only be grounds for something if the Browns management wants something to change. There is no information that would suggest that they do.

The fan base, however, certainly does.

#bringbackbaker

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    It would only be grounds for something if the Browns management wants something to change. There is no information that would suggest that they do.

The fan base, however, certainly does.

#bringbackbaker
    I heard Stefanski's press conference today and of course he's out there because he has to be, but the people who need to answer questions are no where to be found (Jimmy Haslam and maybe Andrew Berry). What is Stefanski's job? To coach the guys on the roster and on the field, it's not his job to answer questions regarding "what did you know, when did you know it, and what are you going to do about it?".

Shame, it just makes the fans even more upset at the entire situation.

I'm guilty of finding perverse pleasure in a lot of the brown's struggles but browns Twitter is a dark and angry place right now. The fact that no one in that organization is stepping up to explain their thinking or even fall on their sword right now points to a complete lack of leadership and responsibility.

The Washington racial slurs/football team/commanders/sexual harassers must be tickled pink to be avoiding the spotlight right now.

My understanding, which is supported by how the first year of his contract is structured at only $1 million, is that the Browns counted on him being unavailable for up to the entire 2022 season.
    I'm a little confused by this. If he's suspended, doesn't that mean without pay? Because if that's the case it seems like this deal was structured this way because Watson expected to be suspended for the year, not because the Browns expected it.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I'm a little confused by this. If he's suspended, doesn't that mean without pay? Because if that's the case it seems like this deal was structured this way because Watson expected to be suspended for the year, not because the Browns expected it.
    Name:  mutual.gif
Views: 195
Size:  71.9 KB

Are you sure though? Cause if he knew there were more coming and they didn't....

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I'm guilty of finding perverse pleasure in a lot of the brown's struggles but browns Twitter is a dark and angry place right now. The fact that no one in that organization is stepping up to explain their thinking or even fall on their sword right now points to a complete lack of leadership and responsibility.

The Washington racial slurs/football team/commanders/sexual harassers must be tickled pink to be avoiding the spotlight right now.
    I don't do Twitter because I'm of the impression that the entire platform is the worst of human existence. I have to imagine that holds true for the Browns' corner of that interweb.

It is absolutely despicable that the Haslams aren't out there communicating how they got comfortable with the deal and how they plan on handling these latest, unplanned, events. Don't let your head coach go out there and flail in the wind for you. That's not his job nor should it be.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The way I understand it, is both Watson and the Browns expected that he could get suspended for up to the first year and the salary that would have occurred in that period is forfeited by the player and counts against the Browns' cap for that period. $1M benefits both in that situation.

Then again, I'm not a cap genius either, just what I've heard on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Name:  mutual.gif
Views: 195
Size:  71.9 KB
    One of the funniest parts of that movie that gets quoted in our house every Christmas. Well done.

It is absolutely despicable that the Haslams aren't out there communicating how they got comfortable with the deal and how they plan on handling these latest, unplanned, events. Don't let your head coach go out there and flail in the wind for you. That's not his job nor should it be.
    I don’t think “we knew he was a scumbag, we knew more would come out, we just didn’t think anyone would care” is a particularly good PR strategy, and it’s definitely one owners would want no public participatory role in, even if that was the plan.

Who's to say that Stefanski didn't pound the table for Watson? For all we know, he may have been the catalyst for the deal.
    The Browns aren't going to say the quiet part out loud, but they've shown their belief that Watson is worth it.

This could actually turn into a very big deal. There are team disclosure rules in the CBA when it comes to trades.
    Lawsuits 23 and 24 are not materially different than 1-22 right? So would anyone really believe 23 is ok but 24, well now you’ve crossed a line…

Also, even if you can void the trade with the Texans, how do you void the contract with Watson? Unless you can show he didn’t disclose something he said he would or lied.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Lawsuits 23 and 24 are not materially different than 1-22 right? So would anyone really believe 23 is ok but 24, well now you’ve crossed a line…

Also, even if you can void the trade with the Texans, how do you void the contract with Watson? Unless you can show he didn’t disclose something he said he would or lied.
    That is exactly how you void an agreement. Breach of material reps and warranties.

That is exactly how you void an agreement. Breach of material reps and warranties.
    Right, but then you have to imagine Watson lied to his own attorneys too. Seems like the Browns were as desperate as a sailor at closing time on his last night in port and I doubt anything will be significant enough to get them out.

What I heard yesterday is the whatever happened with 23 was known to the Browns and to the NFL, but whatever happened with 24 was not. So that's new data people weren't expecting. My guess is that the Browns have some idea what the NFL was thinking based on the 22 or 23 they expected, but dishonesty from Watson around MORE women could probably move the NFL to make his punishment harsher.

Also the Texans are now included in the discovery for the civil suits, so who know what that could bring to light.

Right, but then you have to imagine Watson lied to his own attorneys too. Seems like the Browns were as desperate as a sailor at closing time on his last night in port and I doubt anything will be significant enough to get them out.
    Win at all costs now is how the Browns got in this mess.

The Texans, and Watson, allegedly withholding material information regarding NDAs and aiding potentially troublesome conduct, is enough to get the lawyers, and more importantly, the League’s lawyers, very active today.

It’s not about civil suit 1-22 or even 23 or 24, it’s that you have potentially big time lies/withheld material information to the league and Browns is what makes this different.

Yeah it's not really about 23 and 24, it's the revelation that the Texans' organization enabled it that matters. If they didn't disclose any of that it's grounds to dispute the trade agreement. We're all just speculating here of course, and maybe they did. Which makes the Browns look even worse if so.

Don't let the Browns off the hook. Under no scenario do they get to pull the "clueless" card. None.

Texans may have aided and abetted, and if so, that's on the NFL to penalize them, but I don't think that changes any of the core calculus. The Browns, and the Browns alone, ignored his actions, sent the picks and spent the cash.

Don't let the Browns off the hook. Under no scenario do they get to pull the "clueless" card. None.

Texans may have aided and abetted, and if so, that's on the NFL to penalize them, but I don't think that changes any of the core calculus. The Browns, and the Browns alone, ignored his actions, sent the picks and spent the cash.
    Yeah, I hope Watson gets 2 years, or a lifetime ban, and the Browns get that anchor of his contract dropped on them. Cause it's so fucking gross to see what's happening and think "I want that guy in my building."

The way I understand it, is both Watson and the Browns expected that he could get suspended for up to the first year and the salary that would have occurred in that period is forfeited by the player and counts against the Browns' cap for that period. $1M benefits both in that situation.
    $9,000,000 of the $45,000,000 signing bonus will also count this year. How are they still so far under the cap? Kind of crazy. Did I see right that someone has disclosed Watson saw 66 different therapists in 17 months? Too bad Myles Garrett is on the Browns, I'd love to see him get after Watson and give him the Mason Rudolph treatment...

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Yeah, I hope Watson gets 2 years, or a lifetime ban, and the Browns get that anchor of his contract dropped on them. Cause it's so fucking gross to see what's happening and think "I want that guy in my building."
    No one is excusing his alleged (likely) behavior, but what you guys need to separate from this discussion IS that behavior. It doesn’t matter.

What matters if the Texans, who allegedly aided in that behavior, and Watson did not disclose those acts. Even more fatal to their cause is if they affirmatively represented and warranted that they have made all relevant disclosures to the Browns and to the League, and even more so if the Browns’ attorney added a “10b-6” catch-all rep to the trade agreement.

This isn’t fantasy football. A deal like this isn’t drawn up on a napkin and a handshake. It’s handled just like an asset or stock purchase.

If the Browns (and League) were told they were buying a bill of goods that was X and it turns out that the Texans and Watson withheld material information and the Browns ended up with Y, then the League and Browns have a very strong interest in enforcing any remedies that were (very likely) incorporated into the trade agreement.

Separate the behavior from the issues that have arose in the past day and a half.

Yep. A non disclosure of this kind of behind the scenes activity is akin to leaving a surgical procedure off of a player chart. It doesn't mean the Browns ownership isn't shitty for even going this route and doesn't excuse them, but them's the rules. It also makes the Texans look even worse. Get your popcorn out, this is going to be interesting.