Prius catalytic converter theft

Just out to run an errand and saw two Prius' that were raised on paver blocks within a block of each other. My assumption is the catalytic converter a were stolen by the same tweeker. What is the market value for a stolen CV ?

$37...

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

In CA you can't buy/use a used CC, so it sucks for those owners it isn't the same in CO.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Prius cats have more precious metals in them. The cat ain't used as much in a Prius.
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/...eves-roadshow/
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Their going for $1000 to $1500 used/scrap on ebay.

My CA Cat was about $1,800 new. Just recently replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The thing is, if they're being stolen for precious metals, people will just cut it out if it gets harder to remove. I hacks-all or saws-all would probably make pretty quick work of it. Shitty.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MESH View Post
    Their going for $1000 to $1500 used/scrap on ebay.
    WTF ? Maybe I need to get some some pavers and a light floor jack to fund a new covid quiver.

They are easy to steal. Prius is the new Suburban. Some folks around here have lost more cats than the crazy cat lady.

On the plus side, a Prius sounds mighty powerful with headers

With practice, I bet you could do it without the jack.

It used to be 2nd gen 4runners getting cats nipped around the bay area.

I had the cc stolen from my first gen 4 Runner. Middle of the day on a saturday. Took about 30 seconds. They did it on one of the neighborhood clean up days when you could put your junk out on the street to be picked up. I guess strange cars are less noticeable in the neighborhood on those days what with the scavengers--that's why they did away with scheduled pickup days. A passerby took a photo of the guy driving away (in a much nicer car than mine). Good shot of the license plate. The cops weren't interested. I guess they were too busy killing Black people. A few years ago they got a portable GPS from my old Forester. I didn't think there was still a market for those.

Is your town located in 2003?

Sheeeeeit.. this kind of bullshit is so old in the Detroit area they don’t even really steal them anymore... it’s out of style.

I’ve been in a bunch of situations where’s cats were stolen and I know a few dudes who did time for stealing them... and a few more that had large operations employing junkies TO steal them... and those guys did time too.

People still steal cats? Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    Is your town located in 2003?

Sheeeeeit.. this kind of bullshit is so old in the Detroit area they don’t even really steal them anymore... it’s out of style.

I’ve been in a bunch of situations where’s cats were stolen and I know a few dudes who did time for stealing them... and a few more that had large operations employing junkies TO steal them... and those guys did time too.

People still steal cats? Wtf?
    That wave came and went 20 years ago but there is a new wave for specifically Prius'. I saw a local place selling some anti theft plate a few months ago and laughed about it but I guess the CVs on Prius' have much higher content of precious metal than normal cars.

Stealers gonna steal I guess...

One criminal was actually complaining to me that young people don’t know how to use the tools to steal cats anymore...

Kind of funny in a way...

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    In CA you can't buy/use a used CC, so it sucks for those owners it isn't the same in CO.
    Yeah, but they're getting stolen here in CA for sure. Definitely something that's going on in the more urban parts here. Easy to remove, Toyota supposedly uses a high quality part, and the Prius uses it lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    That wave came and went 20 years ago but there is a new wave for specifically Prius'. I saw a local place selling some anti theft plate a few months ago and laughed about it but I guess the CVs on Prius' have much higher content of precious metal than normal cars.
    Waves come every downturn. There was a “wave” in 2009-10 there’s one now. I was at the grocery store the other day and a cashier had had hers stolen from the grocery parking lot while she worked.