Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    God, I hope my new Mindbender 99tis don't ski like my Rustler 11s. Hopefully they plow through chop better.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    God, I hope my new Mindbender 99tis don't ski like my Rustler 11s. Hopefully they plow through chop better.
    What length and what do you weigh? I'm 5'10" 170 on 188s. I find the 11s quite composed in chop, even they provide a slightly bumpy ride. They definitely skip over chop more than plow through it. And if you drive the tips too much they want to come around. But they go where I tell them even at speed in mediocre snow (this is the opposite of the Rustler 10's which only want to turn). After a few days I found myself skiing as fast on the 11's as I would on Cochises. The Rustlers aren't nearly as damp. They don't have the feel of a charger, but they just don't deflect when you're on edge and are so easy to shut down. Plus they generally are less work to ski, and are way fun on lower angle terrain with kids/friends.

That's why I want a skinnier ski with similar qualities but more geared toward hard snow.

Quick vid of me as evidence:

Weird way to dox yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    What length and what do you weigh? I'm 5'10" 170 on 188s. I find the 11s quite composed in chop, even they provide a slightly bumpy ride. They definitely skip over chop more than plow through it. And if you drive the tips too much they want to come around. But they go where I tell them even at speed in mediocre snow (this is the opposite of the Rustler 10's which only want to turn). After a few days I found myself skiing as fast on the 11's as I would on Cochises. The Rustlers aren't nearly as damp. They don't have the feel of a charger, but they just don't deflect when you're on edge and are so easy to shut down. Plus they generally are less work to ski, and are way fun on lower angle terrain with kids/friends.

That's why I want a skinnier ski with similar qualities but more geared toward hard snow.

I find weight and height irrelevant for ski choice but I'm 6' 2" 175ish and ski the 192s. I do agree they mostly go where you tell them even if they are skipping but I would not want them on my feet in Verbier, I'm no Leo. They are not confidence inspiring sometimes but still amazing don't get me wrong. I'm just hoping the Mindbenders are better on hardpack choppy days, soft chop I'll stick to Rustlers.

I needed the stoke. It's been a weird year ...
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

My 2020 Enforcer 104 Free specs are exactly -8mm narrower each of the the tip-waist-tail measurements vs my 2019 Rustler 11s.

I'm 5'7", 165lbs.

2019 180cm Blizzard Rustler 11: 142-112-132

2020 179cm Enforcer 104 Free: 134-104-124

R11s mounted at +1cm = -6.70cm from center
    104s mounted at +2cm = -6.75cm from center

Should work!

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-16-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    My 2020 Enforcer 104 Free specs are exactly -8mm narrower in the tip-waist-tail vs my Rustler 11.

2019 180cm Blizzard Rustler 11: 142-112-132

2020 179cm Enforcer 104 Free: 134-104-124

R11s mounted at +1cm = -6.70cm from center
    104s mounted at +2cm = -6.75cm from center

K
    How do you like them?

Own both the Enforcer 104 and Fisher 102 FR as well as being on most of the skis mentioned in this thread.
    When I read your initial “wants” I thought either the a Fisher 102 or Enforcer 104 would work but the “good in moguls” comment puts the Enforcer 104 ahead. More forgiving flex and it’s tail rocker makes it super easy to pivot. Mount plus one or 2(mine +2) for a more playful feel. Very fun ski off piste and pretty damp.

I (5’11”, 155 lbs) have a pair of 186 Enforcer 104s, mounted on the line. Find them plenty quick in bumps, so if your Rustler 11s are mounted on the line, I don’t think you’ll need to mount the 104s forward. I was making the same call between the Enforcer 104 and the Fischer 102 and went Enforcer for the same looseness and dampness reasons as you.

Comps to other skis:
    186 Line Supernatural 108: the enforcers turn with much less effort, particularly at lower speeds. The Lines are a bit more stable at high speeds in chop, but the Encorcers are still plenty damp. The Enforcers feel lighter and quicker overall.

187 Moment Meridian: the enforcers hold an edge much better and are more damp. The Meridians are quicker to pivot and are awesome in bumps, but the Enforcers are less hooky in weird snow and overall more reliable if you don’t know what you’re getting into.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for the info. Only ski I ever like in front of the line as the OG lotus 120, which just about everybody skied in front of the line. I'll be on the line or a bit behind, which is where I mounted the 11s.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

How do you like them?
    Haven’t skied the Enforcers yet. Bought them from Fanatyco in Whistler in June for $479CDN delivered. Couldn’t turn down that price. I’ve owned Nordica Patrons and Helldorados in the past and liked Nordica’s build quality. So I will feel at home with that Nordica blunt nose.

I've also been interested in the Mindbender 108Tis......pretty far back mount at -9.75cm...and I've read Enforcers ski great at -6cm - 7cm too (rec - 8.75cm)...didn't really see going forward on the MB108 as much.

The Enforcer 104 is kind of like the R11 and the MB108 had a baby? Plus its blue. I like blue.

Also really like the shape/profile of the Enforcer Frees. Should be strong/damp/pretty stable but still playful/forgiving?

Will try to post some side by side profile shots of the R11 and E104 shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    But the Corvus is nasty if you can ski.
    I don't know whether I can ski or not, but the Corvus is the best ski for me that I've been on. Super friendly but can fucking mach when you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I don't know whether I can ski or not, but the Corvus is the best ski for me that I've been on. Super friendly but can fucking mach when you want to.
    I'll snag a used pair cheap at some point. It's an intriguing ski. My concern is whether I can get enough energy out of the tail. Most people seemed to prefer the gen 1 Cochise to gen 2 because gen 1 was looser. But I liked gen 2 more because I could get a little more rebound out of the tail on steep, hard snow. My question about the Corvus is "can I get that rebound?" Doesn't need to be much, but it needs to be there. I've posted questions about it in the past, but I think I need to get on a pair to know for sure.

If you ski at Luv this season and have a boot in the 305-325 range -- you can take some 188s I'm mounting up for a spin.

^^^^^Cool. I'm 302. Would love too on the off chance my boots fit.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Haven’t skied the Enforcers yet. Bought them from Fanatyco in Whistler in June for $479CDN delivered. Couldn’t turn down that price. I’ve owned Nordica Patrons and Helldorados in the past and liked Nordica’s build quality. So I will feel at home with that Nordica blunt nose.

I've also been interested in the Mindbender 108Tis......pretty far back mount at -9.75cm...and I've read Enforcers ski great at -6cm - 7cm too (rec - 8.75cm)...didn't really see going forward on the MB108 as much.

The Enforcer 104 is kind of like the R11 and the MB108 had a baby? Plus its blue. I like blue.

Also really like the shape/profile of the Enforcer Frees. Should be strong/damp/pretty stable but still playful/forgiving?

Will try to post some side by side profile shots of the R11 and E104 shortly.
    Thanks for the info. Only ski I ever like in front of the line as the OG lotus 120, which just about everybody skied in front of the line. I'll be on the line or a bit behind, which is where I mounted the 11s.

Agreed, the line is always a great choice but wanted to point out it is an option to move up a hair to make them pivot even better and more balanced in the air. As mentioned, the Enforcer 104 mount is a hair over 1cm back from the Rustler 11 mount and even .7cm back from the Enforcers 100mm and below. So some that like their old 100s back a bit might be fine on the line of the 104.

Don’t think I’d go over plus 2cm on the Enforcer 104 or Mindbender 108 as their carving performance will suffer. Quite a few going further forward on the Fisher 102 FR as it seems to have a bit flexible mount area before washing out.

My Enforcer 104s/Fisher 102Fr/27 other recent pairs all came with edge or base high spots which needed to be stone ground flat before tuning the edges. Enforcers and Fishers are commonly edge high which causes them to be stuck in a turn and hard to pivot. See people detuning the edges when they should be getting the bases flat and they won’t have to detune.
    So remember to check base flatness before touching the edges. Have my Enforcers and Fisher sharp tip/tail and are grip great when needed and pivot easily when flat.

Which ski is a skinny Rustler 11?

I own the 186 Enforcer 104 (mounted on the line) and the 188 Rustler 11. I think the 104 will work well for what you are after.

The 104 skis a little stronger than the 100, and is definitely looser off piste, without giving up much on the groomers (same sidecut and turn radius between the skis). But the 104 is still an Enforcer and nothing close to a Mantra 102 or a Blizzard Cochise.

The 104 floats well enough for its width and is helped by the rocker in the tail, but seems to submarine compared to the Rustler 11.

My 140-lb 16-yo fell in love with the 104’s in Whistler this past season, so I don’t expect to ski them much. I picked up the MB108TI which feels like a hybrid between a Rustler 11 and Enforcer 100. Yeah, it’s got a soft tip, but it is so versatile and fun. Glad I took a chance on it last spring when prices were low.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Reviving this thread to share how my search has gone:

I tried the 186 104 Frees early season. I understand why they're popular, but they weren't for me. They're fairly damp and stable, but they don't like to be driven. I found if that when I got into the front of my boot they would bend into a too-small radius. Just not a good fit for me. Sold them.

I skied 181 2019 QST 106's (with Techtons) a handful of days. I bought these to leave in the Dolomites (where I have family) for lift assisted touring, but the pandemic has kept me from traveling there. I like the shape, and they ski good snow well, but they are too short and light for a resort ski. I think I'd like the new, heavier version in 188.

I've recently put a couple days on the 188 Corvus. This is the best fit for me so far. They do have a smaller sweet spot than the QST's or the Enforcers, but they have by far the highest top end and they are no less maneuverable than the others if you have a forward stance. With a centered stance they're meh. It's the opposite of the 104 Frees. They also ski longer than the others when you get them on edge, which has been good. Skiing open terrain at Loveland and Abasin this spring my 188 Rustler 11's can feel a little short, but the Corvus don't. I expect the 183 Corvus and 188 Rustlers would "feel" like they're the same length.

My favorite thing about them is that not only do they pivot easily on all sorts of firm snow because of the flat/reverse camber, they still have some energy in the tail for snapping off quick turns (unlike the OG Cochise, for example). I think the good qualities outweigh the small sweet spot if your preferred stance aligns with what the ski demands. They aren't a ski I jumped on and connected with right away, but I could feel the potential, and part way through my second day on them I was feeling it. My only concern is that if I don't ski them regularly I'll need to relearn them all over again. We'll see.

Right on. It’s a solid ski.. I was more jazzed about it in seasons past, this year didn’t have clamps on mine, so no laps recently. I guess they have a polarizing response. Went off and tried new skis, found some winners and losers. Still have them tho. Grabbed the K108 late season. I’d say if you’re looking for more sweet spot and can handle/want the added 250-300g per — should be on your short list.

Why? Rustler rails groomers

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

i would agree that they rail groomers for their width but I would still prefer to be on a skinnier ski if it's a groomer day.
    I did the reverse process a while ago, I was looking for a fat Rustler 9 and considered the R11 for a while but ended up buying a Wildcat.
    Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Why? Rustler rails groomers

Quote Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
    i would agree that they rail groomers for their width but I would still prefer to be on a skinnier ski if it's a groomer day.
    Yeah, if I'm mostly skiing on snow instead of in it I prefer a 105ish waist. For mostly groomers and zipper bumps sub 90 (I don't do this much and don't own a skinny ski at the moment). I think the Rustler 11's actually carve up groomers better than plenty of narrower skis I've been on (nothing like a ski designed for it, of course), but getting significant edge angles on a 114 waist doesn't feel that good if I do it all day whether i'm really tipping them over on groomers or skiing firm steeps. I know some people complain about their knees using wider skis on firm snow. For me it's my feet. They get sore/ tired from the added torque after a while. With a 105 waist I don't feel the torque, but still keep the smooth ride and maneuverability of a wider platform when snow is a little funky.

Anyway the Corvus has a nice combo of the ability to carve and pivot as well as a fairly ride dampness with just a bit of energy when you need it. I still want to try the Katana 108 and Mantra 102, but it doesn't feel urgent anymore. I expect they'd be damper and have a bigger sweet spot than the Corvus at the expense of being less maneuverable in tight spaces.

R11s and M102s are not two sides of the same coin, albeit one side being narrower (yeah, that doesn't make sense but you understand what I am trying to say). M102s do not have the low swing weight, in air balance and effortless release of R11s. No, M102s are not all that demanding, but they are very different skis imho. M102s are really fun across a lot of conditions and absolutely slay groomers for their width, but narrower r11s they are not imho.

I love R11s, I think M102s are great too, but I might replace my m102 with something closer to a narrower r11 re below.

R10s are not the ski you are seeking either, too turny on harder snow if a lot of fun in soft snow. R9s are supposedly R10 just even more hard snow optimized, so def not the narrower R11 version you are looking for.

MF108s are too similar wrt width too make much sense imho (though a shit load of fun and a great ski, more forgiving than R11s just with more mass) while MF99 just seem too light to be in contention.

Ranger102s might have been the golden ticket, but I never resolved their horrible tune before moving on - so can't provide much insight on them other than that they usually get pretty much universal praise.

My bet for this quiver slot for 2022 if I make changes to my quiver will be Woodsman 102 with titanal ordered through custom. I think the 2022 version of the ski will have ironed out some of the shortcomings of the past two seasons. ON3P's rocker lines and layup together with a mid long sidecut and titanal should be a shit load of fun across most conditions. Also, there's the custom offer during summer where you get 100usd off the base custom price (essentially you can get a stock ski with your choice of top sheet for the standard price, so nice). So no, not as affordable as 2021 skis on sale by any metric, but still good value for money imho.

I have old camber Corvus for true low tide. Have not tried the new flat version

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Yeah, I agree that the Corvus is close in some ways to the R11...but the Corvus tail is a lot less forgiving. Maybe an Atris shape with the Corvus' metal would be closer? And anyway, I'm looking more at something sub-100mm.

I still think the Mindbender 99ti is a pretty good compliment to the R11. Maybe the new Serpo from Black Crows might fit the bill too. Not interested in custom BS from Merica.

Fuck it, I see one of my local stores has a pair of old green R11s in 180cm - I'll probably pick em up and slap some touring bindings on them for the hell of it (for the days when the 188s arent required).