Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which ski is a skinny Rustler 11?

First why I love the Rustler 11:

-If you ask it to go straight through some shitty snow it does what it's told without deflecting. It doesn't feel like a full on, damp charger, but it sure does stay composed.

-If you ask it to go sideways to scrub speed in that same shit snow it listens, whether you're hauling ass our picking your way carefully through a crux or tight trees. The range of speeds it feels comfortable at is the largest of any ski I've used.

-It'll carve different radius turns without any of the annoying personality that some wider, heavily rockered skis display. Plus it'll transition between carve and slarve easily (the Cochise is also great at this but it is.

-It's oddly good at skiing bumps.

What ski that's 96-106 underfoot comes the closest to fulfilling these same criteria? Bonus points if I can get it cheap.

Corvus?
    Enforcer Free 104?
    Updated (heavier) QST 106?
    Ranger 102 FR?
    M-Free 108?

I want to ski with kids and family for a couple hours, the go play by myself without switching skis.

Edit to add: I used to want a narrow GPO but the Rustler is a better all around ski, notable at slow speeds and on hard snow. It's just a more natural carver and more willing to pivot going slow. GPO wins in chop slightly but I'll take the trade off.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 09-11-2020 at 06:30 PM.

the 2 skinnier models of the ON3P Jeffrey line.
    I've never skied the Jeff, but I have Caylors, which are Jeff predecessors, and thought they skied really similar. Not much time on R11 for me though.

I'm on the same page - R11 is such a great ski.

The Corvus does not have the same user-friendly quality of the R11. And whilst you can pivot it easy, it feels like there's less of a sweet spot.

Im partial to the Mindbender 99...I felt like that and the R11 had me covered for pretty much most of my skiing. And Mindbenders are playful enough not to feel like Bonafides or stuff like that.

If you are in that 108-ish category, the Atris isnt a bad choice either...more on the surfy, playful end than the charger spectrum.

As for sub-100mm....Fischer Ranger FR 94? Bentchetler 100? Im curious to hear other people's ideas.

And it sure as hell isnt the Rustler 9.

Last season I went with a shorter (180) and narrower (112) Rustler 11 in that spot. Wasn't a bad call.

Atris, M-Free 108 and Völkl Blaze 106 all might work as well - I like them all.

The atris is like a noodle if you ask me. I take it out to ski when the mtn is packed with Jerry’s. And it’s a 107 or 108. Corvus is the same width. Way more bomb proof. I love that ski. It’s my daily driver. The 2020 model. Best ski I’ve been on in years. I just ordered the justis by black crows. That sounds like it is a narrower version of the Corvus. But the Corvus is nasty if you can ski. I’ve never had a problem pointing them in a tuck or scrubbing speed in the woods. I dunno. I could just suck though. I love the Cochise. And the bodacious. And the spur. It sounds like you may ski a lot like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    the 2 skinnier models of the ON3P Jeffrey line.
    I've never skied the Jeff, but I have Caylors, which are Jeff predecessors, and thought they skied really similar. Not much time on R11 for me though.
    Caylors can be driven though, unlike the Jeffreys.

I’d say the Moment Wildcat 108 is close to a thinner Rustler, just less directional. Still just as drive-able tho.
    Last edited by IrieIbex; 09-12-2020 at 09:40 AM.

M102 ticks all those boxes. Especially the different radius turns. It’s insane.

Well, if we can score some demo MNC binders for that pair of demo 187, CD 104s that came my way from the land of magic underpants, you could try them.

You broke down and got a pass?

They're sitting here, just waiting to mounted (that's what she said).

They're a much burlier ski than the burgundy pair I sent to @mall walker. In that sense, they appear to be more like a narrow CD 114. They're a touch over 2100g.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    M102 ticks all those boxes. Especially the different radius turns. It’s insane.
    Are they any fun going slow? I love the Cochise because it is so maneuverable with just a little momentum, but it is boring on lower angle stuff. From reading about the M102 and new Katana I'd expect them to share those qualities while being superior carvers in general.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Well, if we can score some demo MNC binders for that pair of demo 187, CD 104s that came my way from the land of magic underpants, you could try them.

You broke down and got a pass?

They're sitting here, just waiting to mounted (that's what she said).

They're a much burlier ski than the burgundy pair I sent to @mall walker. In that sense, they appear to be more like a narrow CD 114. They're a touch over 2100g.

... Thom
    I'd love to try those Downs.

I think we're getting Loveland passes. Closest place that isn't Eldora. Got to keep the boy skiing.

OP, find a Dynastar X106, it does exactly what you are looking for and can be had super cheap.

OP- what size ski are you looking for? I have a 184 Piste Jib (heavy hitter core, carbon, verneer, flex 3) that could fill this spot in your quiver. I have ridden it much the past few seasons. It has 1 mount (STH 2s) for a 305 bsl @ -1 behind the line. Skied between 50-60 days.

PM me if you're interested. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112034.jpeg 
Views:	166 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	339825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112310.jpeg 
Views:	155 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	339826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112254.jpeg 
Views:	151 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	339827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112147.jpeg 
Views:	141 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	339828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112138.jpeg 
Views:	134 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	339829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112108.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	339830

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Are they any fun going slow? .
    I don’t know. The 3D side cut they call it is real. They do arc little arcs at low speed with a roll of the ankle. Traditional, light camber allows them to ollie easily. But I’m a fast skier and not very jibby. I’m always bored at low angles.

It doubles as my family ski now, over my OG Gotama, which was lighter and more boring in the flats.

/shrug.

It’s super versatile. But I wouldn’t call it fun or playful at low angles. It’ll arc.

Here’s a low angle shot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1E409E1-B3B8-4813-B5C7-3A598AEDA29C.jpg 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	339833

Rustler 10... kinda softer not quite the same but neither are any of the others.
    Rustler 9... pretty awesome.

.....?

If not those, woodsman 96 has been pretty awesome for me.

Are they any fun going slow? I love the Cochise because it is so maneuverable with just a little momentum, but it is boring on lower angle stuff. From reading about the M102 and new Katana I'd expect them to share those qualities while being superior carvers in general.

I'd love to try those Downs.

I think we're getting Loveland passes. Closest place that isn't Eldora. Got to keep the boy skiing.
    I'm thinking you want Kopi's PJs (or maybe that's me ). Only 2 more holes to drill for a pair of Wardens .

So far, I've done a Super Senior pass at Monarch. My first year qualifying for a whole $20 (plus a small donation to the Forest Service). Dunno if I'll get another pass this year.

When we hit the first frost, I'll revive my Gear Swap request for some binders.

If that doesn't work, then screw it, I'll mound my Wardens that are currenly on my Goats. Since your Hawx XTDs are 304 and my Freetours are 296, we'll both fit. Anyone who wants to borrow 'em 'll have to have dainty feet ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Rustler 10... kinda softer not quite the same but neither are any of the others.
    Rustler 9... pretty awesome.

.....?

If not those, woodsman 96 has been pretty awesome for me.
    Quick comparo of 9s vs 96s?

MOMENT PB&J
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Since your Hawx XTDs are 304 and my Freetours are 296, we'll both fit.
    302mm if they are 26.5 Ultra XTD, 305mm if they are Prime

Thanks for all the responses. I'm interested in many of the skis mentioned, but not enough to buy them without trying. Here are some reasons why:

Volkl Blaze 106: 146mm tips! That's just silly. And very light. Maybe it works, but I'd want to try them or at least hear reviews from people who I know have similar taste/style to me.

Praxis Piste Jib: Super short running length. But I'll read some more reviews and think about it.

PB&J: Same thing as Piste Jib plus a progressive mount and full twin, neither of which is something I need. Again, would try but wouldn't jump in. I think the Commander is more my style. Same Goes from Wildcat 108. I might end up loving that ski, but it can't be found cheap and wouldn't take an expensive chance.

ON3P Jeffrey: Mount too forward. Maybe too soft snow focused. Probably too much $$ for my cheap ass.

Black Crows Atris: Likely not sturdy enough for me.

Rustler 10: Too turny. Didn't like. I'll read about the 9 though.

Dynastar x106 and M-Free: These intrigue me (especially the M-Free) but I hated the Cham series. The newer ones clearly have improved, but all that camber and taper along with the wonky tail design make me nervous. Two more skis I wouldn't try before buying.

Minderbender series might be a good call... Any thoughts on 99s vs 108s? Lengths? My gut is 184 99ti could be a good fit.

Mantra 102: Might be my pick if I never skied with kids, but a looser, Mindbender-type ski is probably a better fit.

180 Rustler 11: Interesting idea, but the 188's never feel big to me. Adding some 192's is appealing, but utterly impractical.

I probably should have mentioned this earlier: this ski will replace the 185 Cochise for me. Last time I sold my Cochises I regretted it. But now because of skiing with a kid, and because there are so many skis that deftly combine stability and maneuverability, I think it's time to move on. I'm also a big fan of the 178 Zero G 108, which I've used quite a bit for skiing with my boy, but something longer with more mass, a bit more sidecut, and alpine bindings would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by IrieIbex View Post
    Caylors can be driven though, unlike the Jeffreys. I love On3p skis, but the kartel and jeffrey skis are some of the least drive-able skis I’ve ever skied. Probably makes sense so their freestyle athletes can push boundaries, but I thought they were terrible. They couldn’t hold an edge on firm off piste to save my life either. Jeeeeesus christ that was a bad day. I love Wrens and BGs tho, on firm. I’ve never skied a Blizzard you couldn’t lean into or that didn’t work well in frozen ocean or coral reef conditions.

I’d say the Moment Wildcat 108 is close to a thinner Rustler, just less directional. Still just as drive-able tho.
    Fuck me!
    That's no bueño!
    I mostly skied Caylors last season. I was struck by how similar the R11 skied(for me anyway), just slightly less fun factor and not near as quiet in shitty snow. Good thing I was woke enough to hoard a 2nd pair.
    XavD is correct that Woodsie is probably a closer match spec wise, and I love mine, but they don't quite have the Caylors fun factor either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    OP- what size ski are you looking for? I have a 184 Piste Jib (heavy hitter core, carbon, verneer, flex 3) that could fill this spot in your quiver. I have ridden it much the past few seasons. It has 1 mount (STH 2s) for a 305 bsl @ -1 behind the line. Skied between 50-60 days.

PM me if you're interested. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112034.jpeg 
Views:	166 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	339825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112310.jpeg 
Views:	155 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	339826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112254.jpeg 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	339827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112147.jpeg 
Views:	141 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	339828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112138.jpeg 
Views:	134 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	339829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200311_112108.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	339830
    May be interested if OP is not, sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    May be interested if OP is not, sent you a PM.
    All yours.

The ranger 102 fr is a very good ski and can be found on sale right now. It carves very well, it has tons of pop out of each turn, it can still slarve well especially if you detune the tails a bit. I think it would check all the boxes for you.
    The enforcer 104 is very versatile, deflects less in weird snow and feels more damp than the 102 fr. But it is not near as lively or quick as the 102. Both do well in bumps. The 102 is stiffer overall and more precise.
    The ranger 99 ti is also a very good ski, especially if you like a more traditional tail on your all mtn ski. It is not as easy in bumps as the other skis, but carves well and has good energy out of each turn. Also the tight turn radius and reasonable weight make them ski well at slower speeds. I demoed these last year on some steep firm chalk, and they were probably the most fun ski I have ever been on for those conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

180 Rustler 11: Interesting idea, but the 188's never feel big to me.
    True enough. I did two days with the three year-old on 188's and it was fine. Maybe you don't need another ski after all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magicmaxbluewood_1000.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	684.9 KB 
ID:	339892

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Maybe you don't need another ski after all.
    What a horrible thing to say to someone. Isn't that a banable offense?

(That's a great pic)

Went with Enforcer 104 Frees from Ptex1. Price was very good and the skis sounds like the best match. I'm a little nervous since I had mixed feelings on the Enforcer 100's, but it sounds like they fixed my gripes by stiffening the tips and loosening up the tails on the 104s.

I seriously considered Ranger 102FRs, Mindbenders 99ti and Mantra 102s, but decided to go with the loosest of the bunch. I used to love more energetic skis like the 102FR, but my preference has moved toward the damp end of the spectrum on harder snow since moving from the NE to CO. Don't need to make so many turns to avoid shit these days.

Mindbenders have have a wide, soft tip and a stiff tail- something that I tend to dislike. Reviews make it sounds like they got the design right, but I'm still wary without trying first.

And the Mantra is the ski I want to need, but is clearly the worst for family skiing. I think I was correct to resist. I'm lusting after those Mantra 102s, I think I'd just leave them at home a lot, just like I left the Cochises at home the last couple years.