Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    What are you even taking about?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Rustler 9

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Rustler 9

That's also my opinion but I did not test many of the skis mentioned in this topic. Someone said that they are closer to the 10 than to the 11 in feel. That's not what I observed, I preferred the feeling of the R9 over the 10. I tested a fair number of skis in that range and my top picks were the R9 and Ranger 102fr. I ended up buying the R9 because they are a bit quicker edge to edge and a better complement to my Wildcat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
    That's also my opinion but I did not test many of the skis mentioned in this topic. Someone said that they are closer to the 10 than to the 11 in feel. That's not what I observed, I preferred the feeling of the R9 over the 10. I tested a fair number of skis in that range and my top picks were the R9 and Ranger 102fr. I ended up buying the R9 because they are a bit quicker edge to edge and a better complement to my Wildcat.
    I agree. The 9 is just dead easy to ski for me. It does just about everything really well. The 10 (in the 188) wasn’t enough ski for me for what I wanted, it needed to be closer to 192 and have the same stiffness as the 9 or 11, but in the 104mm width. It’s weird, I’m not a park skier, not someone who gravitates towards a narrow twin, the 194 Kaestle MX98 is my favorite ski ever, but I find myself grabbing the R9 WAY more then I thought I would, well until I cracked the core on mine.

The Wildcat has been on my short list of skis to try, I’ll have to check them out if they compliment the R9. I thought the Chipotle Bananas would be that ski, but they just don’t float how a 122mm ski should and I stopped grabbing them, instead taking my Kaestle BMX 115s.

I really like the Salomon Blank, and am excited to see how it works as that wider fun pow ski.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I really like the Salomon Blank, and am excited to see how it works as that wider fun pow ski.
    Me too, but at 112mm @ 186 it isn't really narrower than the Rustler 11's 114 @ 188. Maybe when they apply the new construction to the QST 106 in 2022-2023.

How’s the new 98 compare to the blank?

The Rustler 9 isn’t that far off from a mid 90s Rustler 11. Way better ski than the 10. Confused why this is hard for people.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    How’s the new 98 compare to the blank?
    I only skied it for a few runs on very firm snow, but it's good. Edgier and more powerful than the QST 99 for sure, as you would expect quicker edge-to-edge and more precise than the Blank. I still want a Rustler 10.5, regardless of wasatchback's insistence that Blizzard isn't interested.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Me too, but at 112mm @ 186 it isn't really narrower than the Rustler 11's 114 @ 188. Maybe when they apply the new construction to the QST 106 in 2022-2023.
    Agree. I did hop on a pair of 192 R11 to A/B with the Blank. I definitely don’t need both. The Blank just felt better.

I did feel guilty buying the Blank when I have the Sender Squad, but they are SO different I don’t mind. Someone said the Blank is for people who ski with googles under their helmet, Sender Squad for people who ski with googles over their helmet. As an over the helmet skier, this is 100% correct but it doesn’t mean both skiers can’t enjoy both skis.

A 192 R10.5 would be awesome. The R10 just isn’t like the R9 or R11.

Which ski is a skinny Rustler 11?

Love my Rustler 11’s.

And it’s quiver building season.

Just picked up a new pair of 2021 Rustler 9’s from a local shop for a good deal. Considered some Enforcer 94’s, but wanted something a bit more playful. Mounting STH 16’s at +1cm. Think they’ll be good.

Edit I should add I also have Enforcer 104s (that I love) and tried some M102s (which were not for me....M102s ripped but their tails didn’t slither around as easily as Rustlers or Enforcers in tight areas). Which is why I love Rustlers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1092.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	377409
    Last edited by kc_7777; 06-18-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Thank you for re-igniting my annual firm snow daily driver research project.

- guy who hasn't purchased a resort pass in 5yrs and has only skied his Enforcer 100s 3x in 3? seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Thank you for re-igniting my annual firm snow daily driver research project.

- guy who hasn't purchased a resort pass in 5yrs and has only skied his Enforcer 100s 3x in 3? seasons.
    You probably don’t need a firm snow daily driver then but I’d check out the R9, it’s pretty darn good.

Does the Rustler 9 not have a pretty low speed limit? That's the impression I've got from some of the reviews I've read. Light, playful and forgiving but not very stable at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Does the Rustler 9 not have a pretty low speed limit? That's the impression I've got from some of the reviews I've read. Light, playful and forgiving but not very stable at speed.

I find that at higher speed (> 40mph) you can't run them flat but once on edge they are ok. I believe that tune is important but if you want a ski to go straight you can find better than these. Same for the crud, tips are soft and they get thrown in all directions. I like the blend of playfulness / torsional rigidity / maneuverability they have for low tide to ski groomers, tree and jump in the park. When I want to charge more or blast crud I use the Wildcat.

Wouldn't put the m-free 108 and R11 in a similar category. Maybe they can achieve a similar purpose, but I think they do it in different ways - quite a bit more camber in the MF108.

Skis that come to mind:

Faction Candide 2.0 (or older 3.0)
    Kore 105
    Enforcer free 104
    Bent Chetler 100 (maybe too narrow)

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    I don’t find the ski holding me back from going as fast or slow as I want. I just need to be more dynamic on the Rustler 9 then on my 194 Kaestle MX 98s. It’s more of a question of can you ski them at that speed. By that I mean keep the edges engaged, quick edge to edge transfer minimizes the amount of chatter you get running bases flat. Can you look 3, 4, or 5 turns downhill to plan your turns, cause if you try to steam roll through a rough patch, it’s not going to be a smooth ride.

I haven’t had issues with stability on the R9s at any speed. But I tend to be on my edges a lot. If you try to run bases flat on the R9s, you will get the shit kicked out of you, but a little bit up on edge, and you are fine.

My only issue with the R9 was I cracked the core longitudinally on both skis (yes both) at both (again both) sets of heel holes. 4 identical cracks, about 2-4 inches fore and aft of the heel holes, so 4-6in in length with the heel holes right in the middle. I had about 40-50 days on them, had been skiing them a bunch on a family trip to Breckinridge and when I got back to Jackson realized it when I didn’t have edge hold during the Dicks Ditch Banked Slalom. Blizzard warrantied them (and are AWESOME to deal with for warranties, unlike K2 and Rossi), and the only thing we can think of is that I was using them like Brahmas carving super hard, and the core finally gave out. Just was weird it happened in 4 spots. I do have a brand new pair and I will mount them up, and ski them until they are dead. My cousin is getting a pair. My 67 year old mother with two replaced hips demoed them and loves them, she’s getting a pair for Christmas. Yeah I broke them cause I’m a giant, but that’s more because I’m a giant then Blizzards fault.

It’s an awesome ski. Sometimes they just get it right, and they did with the R9. Now if Blizzard could take the R9 and R11 and make a R10.5, I’d be happy cause the R10 isn’t it.

^^^I'm thinkin' R9's have same papier mâchê core of R11?

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    ^^^I'm thinkin' R9's have same papier mâchê core of R11?
    Possibly? They normally feel amazing, and Blizzard warranted them so I don’t care.

Yeah, I'm sure they warrantied a few

Lmao.

On that note, what ski is a burlier Rustler 11?? The Salomon Blank looks good but turn radius makes me go "wtf"

Maybe I'm way off but I consider my 189 Wren 114s to be a burlier Rustler 11...maybe to keep me from buying Rustler 11s...

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Which ski is a skinny Rustler 11?

MFree 118 or OG Bodes…. I find it hard to believe the Sollie Stance would be a burlier Rustler, but it so on my list for next year…. It seems like it would be an updated version of the Gunsmoke..:

Blank is more composed then the R11 inbounds. I don’t find them hooky BUT I took a metal file at a 45 to any rocker section of edge then detuned the shit out of the camber section except for 3ish inches in front of my toe piece to 3ish inches behind my heel piece. I don’t find them twitchy, but mine don’t really have edges to grab. Almost gave WSTDeep a heart attack when I did it too haha. I like mine a lot.

A true burlier R11 might be the Rossignol Black Ops Sender Squad. Big, stiff, damp, but most people don’t look at it because it only comes in a 194.