Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Snow bikes have their advantages in certain types of terrain and snow conditions .... and as a gross generalization, the areas snow bikes shine in are areas that the sleds have a harder time (and visa versa).

As far as the cost argument goes, thats a challenging equation. You could you pick up a 2014 Summit for around the same price as your conversion. and depending on how many other mods you need to do, maybe even a newer machine.

I have ridden a sled forever, but often in the spring or in areas with tight trees I wish I had a snowbike in my quiver. I think if you are using them for access, its a 6 to one, half dozen to other kinda thing.... I cant see tandeming or shutteling being that easy on a bike.. but with that said the local snowbike pros tell me its no big deal.

the rate the tech is advancing, bikes are getting way better and sleds are starting to become more like bikes.... its the ski vs snowboard argument / pins vs frame bindings all over again.
    For sure. I could see that.

Then again the age-old problem becomes a crew with which to both ride with and sled-access skiing. I also go back to storage space; a sled needs a lot more room than a bike. And a bike is something that can be used with the snow melts. Right now I have neither, so it's moot....

Interesting discussion though on the tandem/shuttling thing. In my mind, a sled would be to get you back into a zone quickly and then skin or hike your zone as necessary vs shuttling. A discussion for a different thread, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Interesting discussion though on the tandem/shuttling thing. In my mind, a sled would be to get you back into a zone quickly and then skin or hike your zone as necessary vs shuttling. A discussion for a different thread, though.
    This is mostly what we do, but there isn't really a massive amount of shuttle terrain around here and the main spots are packed with goobers most of the time.
    Seems like most people here have a sled or skins, not both, so having both is a really good tool for getting away from people.

The sled is a more versatile tool, and versatility is a big advantage for touring. I throw all the gear/toys on the rack and see what I get into. Can shuttle, skin, vert (for powsurfing), throw on the chainsaw, a 30-rack and some gear to camp, or haul the keg to the hut. I'm generally shuttle averse, but certain zones are really set up for it - no reason to eliminate that option on purpose. I have never witnessed or done a snowbike tandem but it seems like it would be harder.

Storage-wise I don't think there's a big difference. The bikes are super long and awkward. Sled is a a bit fatter. Different aspect ratios. $$$-wise I think it's a wash. Neither are fun to ride in ski boots, worse on a bike. I ride in snow boots and rack the alpines unless shuttling.

On the point of the bikes being usable in all seasons - yes this is true in theory. In practice, all of my snowbike buddies would ring out the bike all winter and sell it. I'm not up to speed on the current advancements, but as recently as 3yrs ago doing the snowbike thing was really hard on the bike.