Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Propane fire pit for camping

I've looked at these on occasion, and borrowed one for a trip last year. We mostly do dispersed camping and fire restrictions usually prohibit campfires outside of designated campgrounds, so not many campfires for us in the last several years.

I broke down and bought one. I think this is the same one Costco usually carries in the spring, at the same price. So, PSA, if anyone's looking:

https://www.amazon.com/Outland-Fireb...IKX0DER&sr=8-1
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

bought one in the spring after last years camping trips with no fire.... they work great. used it last week up in the foothills during level 2 fire ban, great time around the fire pit with whiskey and guitars.

They do work nicely and beats sitting around a LED lantern... Just been resisting, as I've been trying to avoid having to haul around a fake fire and another 20# propane tank camping.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    I'm sold after staring at my buddy's last weekend during our statewide fire ban. It's still cowboy TV, you can still roast marshmallows, and it doesn't make the kids stink like smoke.

These are great!! Use it all the time during the fire bans!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've been to several beach fires where they just use one of those turkey frying (or crab boiling) burners.

Tape up the air intake, and its a licking flame.
    dig a hole in the sand, and bury the legs.

those camping units seem pretty cool for non beach fires.
    . . .

I've been thinking about picking one up for summer camping trips. I could see using it at the ski hill parking lot too.

used one during the big fire years up here, it was nice to look at and we didnt get hassled by the CO who would have given us a healthy fine

you do need the room to transport it so the retired wild fire fighter brought it along in his 5th wheel
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Got the Outland 19 inch. Love it. For a chump like me that usually just buys firewood at the campground or on the way, I’m paying $5-6 per bundle. A $20 propane tank is way smaller than 4-5 bundles of wood and way cheaper. Plus I get 11+ hours of fire out of the tank.

No campfire stink or hot ash burning holes in stuff.

Can’t really cook on it though except for jiffy pop or s’mores.

Nicest part is in the morning you just fire it up and drink coffee being warm. Wife’s and small children enjoy the heat too.

Here is the flame at low setting. The lava rocks get red hot and give more heat too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1644.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	339578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1581.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	339579

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Got the same one and use it both at home and camping frequently over this summer. We built a little ring/stand for it at home out of a wine barrel so it looks nicer and sits a little higher to go with our swing/patio furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I've been thinking about picking one up for summer camping trips. I could see using it at the ski hill parking lot too.
    I like that idea of bringing it skiing, and especially this year, where Covid isn't making hanging out in the lodge sound that attractive. Parking lot beers even in the dead of winter, gathered around a warm fire...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I like that idea of bringing it skiing, and especially this year, where Covid isn't making hanging out in the lodge sound that attractive. Parking lot beers even in the dead of winter, gathered around a warm fire...
    That's what I'm thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    crap, has not even crossed my mind yet. great idea

Would it be relatively easy to add a low pressure fitting to one of these and to the hose so I could run it either straight off a tank or off the low pressure line in my camper?

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Would it be relatively easy to add a low pressure fitting to one of these and to the hose so I could run it either straight off a tank or off the low pressure line in my camper?
    It looks like it already has a regulator, so its already set up to run straight off of a standard propane tank.

I have a T fitting I added onto the propane tank on my truck camper, to be able to attach a stove to it (cooking outside whenever possible). That T fitting would also work for attaching to the hose to the fire pit. Make sure you get the right fittings on the T.

I think the fire pit hose is only 10' or so - attaching to your RV may not be convenient.

We bought one during the 2017 fire season, outbound(?) model I think. It pairs extremely well with the 10X10 pop-up, especially with the bug screen installed. Gets toasty warm in there, and no embers to burn the fabric 8' up.
    Not everywhere allows them, though, which surprised us. The Salmon Arm muni fire chief banned them from Roots & Blues music fest, which was a bummer when tasked with kid minding when the other adults caught the late shows.

We've had one for a bit, a camp chef that's pretty compact. It's great for for fire bans or places like White Rim that never allow fires. And we just started using it in the backyard too.

But holy shit never thought about the ski area, that's a great idea, especially with covid.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Propane fire pit for camping

How is it transporting it with the lava rocks? or are they attached somehow?

Great idea for a tailgate while skiing. the only issue I see is how tight parking regs are going to be and finding a space to set it up.

The rocks just sit inside the ring which goes in it's carry bag, they're not attached but they stay put (just don't turn the bag over). Of course, can't put the whole thing away until it's cool.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

https://farslen.com/products/bonfire...PEqvYqL3GJ6RYM

this has been appearing in my FB

doesnt say if you can use it during fire bans
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ours in the backyard before building a little stone fire ring to elevate it a touch. Use it a few times a week when weather is nice. Takes about 2min to pack up for camping during fire bans.

The ski area idea is legit.

Name:  119201419_631191337540956_4897527617398660897_n.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  176.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://farslen.com/products/bonfire...PEqvYqL3GJ6RYM

this has been appearing in my FB

doesnt say if you can use it during fire bans
    That's a wood-burning fire pit, so it's banned like any other wood fire.

For primarily backyard use, how does the heat output of this compare to your more standard column-shaped propane patio heater?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Ours in the backyard before building a little stone fire ring to elevate it a touch. Use it a few times a week when weather is nice. Takes about 2min to pack up for camping during fire bans.

The ski area idea is legit.

Name:  119201419_631191337540956_4897527617398660897_n.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  176.0 KB
    Nice. The wife wants one for the new house and I was thinking we could kill two birds with one stone.