Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    this looks like a copy of the "solo stove" firepits, yes, woodburning, but totally awesome at that......smokeless even with wet wood. Dentists love them.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://farslen.com/products/bonfire...PEqvYqL3GJ6RYM

this has been appearing in my FB

doesnt say if you can use it during fire bans

That Farslen looks pretty small—can’t find dimensions on their site though.

A lot of Chinese ‘stainless steel’ products rust away but that thing is cheap so...

Been bringing my propane firepit to Snowbird on cold days for a few years now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57394819302__AEA7E4D8-7F9B-49EC-BAFC-6689CA031E79.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	340442

I could’ve sworn there was a thread that had a link with a new model that fit inside an ammo-can.

Anyone know what I’m talking about? Search function isn’t working for me

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I could’ve sworn there was a thread that had a link with a new model that fit inside an ammo-can.

Anyone know what I’m talking about? Search function isn’t working for me

Googled this. Awesome idea. I might have to make one.

DIY Propane Firepit
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

A friend of mine is developing an ammo can fire pit, the Volcanno. I just got off a Westwater trip where someone had a prototype. Nice, and packable too.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    bought one in the spring after last years camping trips with no fire.... they work great. used it last week up in the foothills during level 2 fire ban, great time around the fire pit with whiskey and guitars.
    honestly, with all that covid nonsense going on I would give anything just to chill on weekends like this... with guitar, whiskey and a fire pit

None of these really put out any real heat. It all just goes straight up, so if you stand over it it kinda keeps you warm. Nice for ambiance, and maybe some cooking. Kind of a waste of gas IMHO. We get about 3-4 longer nights out of a 20lb when camping.

What about a360 degree infrared heater?

Never seen one. But it would be nice for camping heat. Could also design it with larger vents on top or in the middle for flame ambience

Cravenmorehead I give my idea to your friend so he can patent it.
    . . .

we got our gas one on Amazon for $50 and it’s survived two White Rim trips. Nothing more than ambiance, but it’s been great for the group once it gets dark.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I use a Little Red campfire for camping and a 10# tank. The tank fits in a 3 gal bucket for transport. There's a slightly bigger Big Red too.

If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    None of these really put out any real heat. It all just goes straight up, so if you stand over it it kinda keeps you warm. Nice for ambiance, and maybe some cooking. Kind of a waste of gas IMHO. We get about 3-4 longer nights out of a 20lb when camping.
    So do any of these actually put out enough heat to warm you up on a 40 degree night? What about some of the non-portable options that crank out 75k btu's?

Propane fire pit for camping

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So do any of these actually put out enough heat to warm you up on a 40 degree night? What about some of the non-portable options that crank out 75k btu's?
    Fuck yeah they do! We use one routinely (~ 50k btu) in the morning for fall camping. Heck we had a wood fire going and the propane setup by the kitchen area while cooking dinner on Saturday night (45deg) and it was glorious.

We have had an idea to get another propane fire pit and run two together. It would heat and light up a wide area for several people and run off one tank.

I highly recommend these for no burn areas and morning use.

You can build a hotter, bigger wood fire than you can get out of a propane fire pit. [/capt obvious]

But the point of the propane pit is for when there are fire restrictions, you can usually still use the propane pit. Which beats sitting around in the dark, cold....
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Are you talking fire pit vs heater? Like I said, the fire pits that were being discussed aren't really worth it for anything more than ambiance. A 75,000btu heater, will keep you pretty warm, that's just math right there. Totally different concept than a little fire pit with some lava rocks in it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You can build a hotter, bigger wood fire than you can get out of a propane fire pit. [/capt obvious]

But the point of the propane pit is for when there are fire restrictions, you can usually still use the propane pit. Which beats sitting around in the dark, cold....
    I'm more looking for something I can sit beside for an hour with a drink and then turn off, go inside and not smell like smoke. I love a good wood fire occasionally but they are not convenient for a quick use.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Are you talking fire pit vs heater? Like I said, the fire pits that were being discussed aren't really worth it for anything more than ambiance. A 75,000btu heater, will keep you pretty warm, that's just math right there. Totally different concept than a little fire pit with some lava rocks in it.
    Nah, I'm specifically curious about a propane fire pit being warm enough to comfortably sit around. Heat and ambiance. You say no, other posters say yes?

Works for me, enough to cut the chill and tell everyone how im the best skier on the mountain.

Name:	19261101-AAFC-4A56-B6E4-E0C9A0869956.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	392921

edit: get well chuck
    Last edited by hawkgt; 11-16-2021 at 04:09 PM.

I'm more looking for something I can sit beside for an hour with a drink and then turn off, go inside and not smell like smoke. I love a good wood fire occasionally but they are not convenient for a quick use.
    Nah, I'm specifically curious about a propane fire pit being warm enough to comfortably sit around. Heat and ambiance. You say no, other posters say yes?
    It really depends on what you mean by "warm enough". They definitely do add warmth and enjoyment to sitting around outside. That said, they don't put out insane amounts of heat, so you still need to be dressed appropriately for the weather. So you can't comfortably sit around one when it's 40 degrees and you're in a t-shirt, but if you have a parka and a hat, sure.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think a reflective heat shield setup behind the pit would make a big difference ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think a reflective heat shield setup behind the pit would make a big difference ?
    That plus more lava rock could definitely help. 40ºF isn't that bad, so yeah, the Outland pit could work with a jacket and such. It is 58k btu. If you are getting it to use just at home, I'd go with one of the bigger btu fire wall ones with fancy glass beads and maybe even hook it up to your natural gas line.

Propane fire pit for camping

Maybe. But - Typically folks like to “gather round the fire” which precludes a heat shield behind the pit.

Not sure where name redacted got the idea that these things don’t work. I use a basic propane fire pit all the time and I swear - it works it works!!! Hahah!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It really depends on what you mean by "warm enough". They definitely do add warmth and enjoyment to sitting around outside. That said, they don't put out insane amounts of heat, so you still need to be dressed appropriately for the weather. So you can't comfortably sit around one when it's 40 degrees and you're in a t-shirt, but if you have a parka and a hat, sure.
    ^^^ This. I use mine on my screened porch regularly and have used it on the lawn at BBQ’s and in the parking lot skiing. It’s big plus is convenience. Dress for the weather and you’ll be plenty warm, but it’s no heater.

These things seem like a really awesome way to increase your carbon footprint. I’m sure everyone on this board owns enough puffy jackets to stay warm while drinking beer outside instead of obnoxiously burning propane to stare at and provide marginal warmth.

Name:	IMG_2182.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	392968

Tis the season

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums