Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    FYI, Cyber Monday sale on this one at REI for $71 today only.

https://www.rei.com/product/896928/c...quoia-fire-pit
    Itís back on Outlet, now itís $107. Still a good deal.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Nice. Does it cool down pretty quick? Like,can you have a fire in the morning then put it on the raft? Thatís one of our primary use cases.
    Quick enough. Like, once you start to pack up camp, turn off the fire and break down the hose/etc. Let the box sit while you pack up kitchen etc. Once you're done with the kitchen it should be cool enough to handle. And if not, it's an ammo can - dunk it in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    It’s back on Outlet, now it’s $107. Still a good deal.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    And REI is doing their 20% off one item sale -- "MEMBER20" - for March 18-28.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Finally decided to get one of these. My partner has asthma and hates normal campfires.

What's the consensus? Cheapest one you can find on sale? Any brand better than others?

Is the ammo can setup worth it? This will mostly live in our sienna camper so compact is nice.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

We have a cheap outbound propane campfire that does what itís designed for. Just about time to replace the lava rocks. If you are out for a few nights, think about a larger propane tank than a 20lbs.

Any opportunity to test your wifeís asthma with a solo stove? It might burn clean enough once it gets going. They would be better if you want heat as the propane rings are 80% ambience unless in a very sheltered location.

I just went cheapest I could find, it's not tiny but not as big as some (camp chef compact size). Works great.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

Really kills the bugs on river trips with fire bans. That is all I can say from experience. The ammo can ones are kinda easy to make, but worth it for the plug and play no brainer engineering and to support some cool builders.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat

Propane fire pit for camping

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Finally decided to get one of these. My partner has asthma and hates normal campfires.

What's the consensus? Cheapest one you can find on sale? Any brand better than others?

Is the ammo can setup worth it? This will mostly live in our sienna camper so compact is nice.

Thanks!

I ended up purchasing the big ammo can version from lavabox. Itís impressive and functional for groups of all sizes. Altho it goes thru the Dino juice extremely quicklyÖ.I now have a dedicated 35lb tank to run it. Pretty happy w it overall.
    Last edited by jmedslc; 10-10-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    We have a cheap outbound propane campfire that does what itís designed for. Just about time to replace the lava rocks. If you are out for a few nights, think about a larger propane tank than a 20lbs.

Any opportunity to test your wifeís asthma with a solo stove? It might burn clean enough once it gets going. They would be better if you want heat as the propane rings are 80% ambience unless in a very sheltered location.
    I have been trying to convince my neighbor to get a solo stove with the hopes that we could test it out but so far no luck. I'm definitely curious about them. Even a hint of smoke smell is pretty upsetting to her though since it reminds her of not being able to breathe...

Tradeoffs for the propane stove of not getting soot all over the car and more flexibility with fire bans (we are in California) might be worth the lower heat output. I guess in an ideal world we'd have a solo and a propane one...

Sounds like the ammo cans are working out well for people and I'm happy to throw a little extra cash at those folks, may end up going that route.

The only thing Iíve found with the propane fire pit is it uses a lot of propane.
    We usually have 3 bottles on our trailer, but I was still surprised at how quickly it went through it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot