Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2021 Kastle MX98 Thread

I know that there are a bunch of us who have been skiing the MX98 since 2010. Luckily, Kastle knew of a cult following and re-introduced the ski in 2016. MX98 lovers were underwhelmed when Kastle changed the ski into the less demanding, softer and somewhat tamer MX99. Getting whim of this, in 2021 Kastle has returned to the MX98; however, it appears that the ski has been modified from its original versions (and I don't mean just the paint job).
    My 2016s have about 125 days on them, and still have plenty of life, but this new MX98 intrigues me. Has anyone ridden it? Anyone willing to place a review here? I have not even hand flexed a pair, and have only read marketing blurbs from places like Powder7.
    Is this going to be the next great Kastle, or a watered down version of greatness?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Happy to see they now offer a 178, sad to see they tightened up the radius.

I love my 2016's (their second go around with the square/flat tail) so I'm intrigued too. The descriptions I read about the MX99 that replaced it didn't excite me but I didn't get a chance to try it. I like the sizing of the new skis but not sure about the tighter turn radius. I also don't know how I feel about the lighter/easier marketing speak for the 2021.

From realskiers:

...Inside, the MX98 switched silver fir for poplar, which made the ski lighter, and dropped the top layer of carbon, allowing the inherent springiness of its top and bottom fiberglass laminates to shine. The result is ski that feels quicker both on and off the edge, and while it remains a long-radius ride, it feels more maneuverable than its earlier incarnations...

...Because the MX98 is at heart a technical ski, it’s best appreciated on the feet of a skilled skier. No question the new MX98 is a more forgiving, easier to manage model than its ancestors, but it’s still not a set of training wheels. Jim Schaffner of Start Haus, the embodiment of a strong technical skier, assesses the MX98 as a “huge improvement over last year’s model. This answers the question about the quality of the new factory. This is a must-have on the ski wall for next season.” Footloose Sports’ Larry Rhoads concurs, whimsically noting that to properly score describe the MX98, “I need an 11 on the Realskiers scale.”
    Last edited by utagonian; 11-19-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Sounds fun, but I do wish had it had a tad bit more camber. As described, it seems a bit less precise than its predecessor mx98. Also, that tip looks a bit large. I bet that tip needs detuning prior to hitting the snow.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

They also switched the silver fir for poplar in the ZX108 (vs BMX105). I wonder what’s the effect on the skiability besides being lighter. I think that silver fir is more expensive than poplar, right ?

The new boards are in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kastle 2021b.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	345483

The 98 seemed flexible, def softer than the 99 without the carbon in it. Not the charger it was, it'll work well for a lotta advanced skiers.

What is your .02 on the ZX?
    curious how it compares to the BMX 105 HP

The ZX is one of the easiest technical skis I’ve been on. It has that firm softness that the second MX 98 (red tip not cherry tip) had, but with more float and a bit easier to turn. I was really impressed with the ZX. But (always a but?) I did ski the FX106 the few runs before and anything would be an improvement over that piece of junk.

The new 98 looks interesting. I’m set for a few years with red 98s, so I don’t want to get on the new one, but I curious. It will probably be too short, but if for some reason a 194 appears, it could be a replacement for the red 98s.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Any ski out there that skis similar to the new Kastle 187 mx 98 without having to throw all that cash down on one ski
    or is this my one ski for railing groomers and ripping the front side in good conditions ? already have the ZX 108 188

Quote Originally Posted by mtbcat View Post
    Any ski out there that skis similar to the new Kastle 187 mx 98 without having to throw all that cash down on one ski
    or is this my one ski for railing groomers and ripping the front side in good conditions ? already have the ZX 108 188
    I’ve heard really good things about the 189 Blizzard Bonafide 97.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Demo'd these for the first time today. Really liked them. Don't have a lot of new ski experience to compare them with, but vs the fx95 hp I've been daily driving this year, and like pretty well, they were damper, more predictable, ski a bit longer ( but mount still seems a bit too forward). Less energy which could be a good or bad thing. If I see them on sale this spring will probably make them the daily driver next year. Curious what you all have thought and what else to try that's similar profile (traditional, not too much tip rocker, some metal). Apart from the rec above

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

What size were you on? I am interested about the mount as I have a new set of MX98's and the mount does seem a bit far forward.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Demo'd these for the first time today. Really liked them. Don't have a lot of new ski experience to compare them with, but vs the fx95 hp I've been daily driving this year, and like pretty well, they were damper, more predictable, ski a bit longer ( but mount still seems a bit too forward). Less energy which could be a good or bad thing. If I see them on sale this spring will probably make them the daily driver next year. Curious what you all have thought and what else to try that's similar profile (traditional, not too much tip rocker, some metal). Apart from the rec above

I'm on the 187s. Picked up a demo set for cheapish and now they are mine. I can play with the mount a now. Skied them regular today for the first spin

Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Mudroom at jhmr has the smaller sizes 60 percent off right now, up to 178cm, holler if you are in need

Any more feedback on these? Looking for a camber/metal crud buster. Don’t usually go for big sticks but am thinking the 187 in these… anyone have a bit more experience with them at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Looking for a camber/metal crud buster. Don’t usually go for big sticks but am thinking the 187 in these…
    GIT SOME

Any more feedback on these? Looking for a camber/metal crud buster. Don’t usually go for big sticks but am thinking the 187 in these… anyone have a bit more experience with them at this point?
    I've got five or ten days on mine. I don't grab them when I'm skiing with the wife or kids or intermediate friends because they want to go fast. Real fast. Feels like a wider radius than 23m listed, compared to FX95s or other mid waisted skis I've ridden. They are as stable as anything I've ridden but not overly heavy or punishing. I remember the first day I demoed them thinking, these aren't so tough. I just had a pass comped group lesson and was chasing the instructor all over JHMR in soft but bumped up conditions and they crushed it. The itty bitty tip rocker works for me. I never skied the OG MX98s but for me these work great when I'm skiing fast, steep, technical, and < 6 inches of fresh. I'm 6-4 195# and on the 187s.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Do they make that pingy / carbon sound on hard snow?

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    So tempted. These boards scare me, but I can’t figure out if it’s in a good way.

So tempted. These boards scare me, but I can’t figure out if it’s in a good way.

Do it if they speak to you. If they turn out to be too much, I'm sure they can be offloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by utagonian View Post
    Do they make that pingy / carbon sound on hard snow?
    Yes. Though I've stopped noticing very much

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    Do it if they speak to you. If they turn out to be too much, I'm sure they can be offloaded.
    I’ve had that thought too. I’ve got a few other pairs that probably should go first. We’ll see, just grabbed a pair of clamps that are sitting in the box, it’s like the peanut butter and jelly of a flat ski

Edit: pulled the trigger on the 50/50 thinking maybe that’s a reasonable compromise.

Good on ya!

Just picked up another pair of these. I have three in the wrapper and this is my 15 Th pair
    Best ski ever made.

Name:	Image1697215699.014221.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	472619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71890363903__24478809-9C50-4CBC-A54F-BE49524EDF54.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	472620

Name:	IMG_3921.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	472621

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Just picked up another pair of these. I have three in the wrapper and this is my 15 Th pair
    Best ski ever made.

Name:	Image1697215699.014221.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	472619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71890363903__24478809-9C50-4CBC-A54F-BE49524EDF54.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	472620

Name:	IMG_3921.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	472621
    Dude... hat's off. If they only imported 50 pairs of 194's, you own 30% of them!

Did you wear-out those two pairs for the chair? How many days until they call it quits? Mine seem to keep getting better. How many days do you think it takes to "break-in" a new pair?