2021 Kastle MX98 Thread

I know that there are a bunch of us who have been skiing the MX98 since 2010. Luckily, Kastle knew of a cult following and re-introduced the ski in 2016. MX98 lovers were underwhelmed when Kastle changed the ski into the less demanding, softer and somewhat tamer MX99. Getting whim of this, in 2021 Kastle has returned to the MX98; however, it appears that the ski has been modified from its original versions (and I don't mean just the paint job).
    My 2016s have about 125 days on them, and still have plenty of life, but this new MX98 intrigues me. Has anyone ridden it? Anyone willing to place a review here? I have not even hand flexed a pair, and have only read marketing blurbs from places like Powder7.
    Is this going to be the next great Kastle, or a watered down version of greatness?
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

Happy to see they now offer a 178, sad to see they tightened up the radius.

I love my 2018's (their second go around with the square/flat tail) so I'm intrigued too. The descriptions I read about the MX99 that replaced it didn't excite me but I didn't get a chance to try it. I like the sizing of the new skis but not sure about the tighter turn radius. I also don't know how I feel about the lighter/easier marketing speak for the 2021.

From realskiers:

...Inside, the MX98 switched silver fir for poplar, which made the ski lighter, and dropped the top layer of carbon, allowing the inherent springiness of its top and bottom fiberglass laminates to shine. The result is ski that feels quicker both on and off the edge, and while it remains a long-radius ride, it feels more maneuverable than its earlier incarnations...

...Because the MX98 is at heart a technical ski, it’s best appreciated on the feet of a skilled skier. No question the new MX98 is a more forgiving, easier to manage model than its ancestors, but it’s still not a set of training wheels. Jim Schaffner of Start Haus, the embodiment of a strong technical skier, assesses the MX98 as a “huge improvement over last year’s model. This answers the question about the quality of the new factory. This is a must-have on the ski wall for next season.” Footloose Sports’ Larry Rhoads concurs, whimsically noting that to properly score describe the MX98, “I need an 11 on the Realskiers scale.”

Sounds fun, but I do wish had it had a tad bit more camber. As described, it seems a bit less precise than its predecessor mx98. Also, that tip looks a bit large. I bet that tip needs detuning prior to hitting the snow.
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

They also switched the silver fir for poplar in the ZX108 (vs BMX105). I wonder whatís the effect on the skiability besides being lighter. I think that silver fir is more expensive than poplar, right ?

The new boards are in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kastle 2021b.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	345483

The 98 seemed flexible, def softer than the 99 without the carbon in it. Not the charger it was, it'll work well for a lotta advanced skiers.

What is your .02 on the ZX?
    curious how it compares to the BMX 105 HP

The ZX is one of the easiest technical skis Iíve been on. It has that firm softness that the second MX 98 (red tip not cherry tip) had, but with more float and a bit easier to turn. I was really impressed with the ZX. But (always a but?) I did ski the FX106 the few runs before and anything would be an improvement over that piece of junk.

The new 98 looks interesting. Iím set for a few years with red 98s, so I donít want to get on the new one, but I curious. It will probably be too short, but if for some reason a 194 appears, it could be a replacement for the red 98s.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Any ski out there that skis similar to the new Kastle 187 mx 98 without having to throw all that cash down on one ski
    or is this my one ski for railing groomers and ripping the front side in good conditions ? already have the ZX 108 188

Quote Originally Posted by mtbcat View Post
    Any ski out there that skis similar to the new Kastle 187 mx 98 without having to throw all that cash down on one ski
    or is this my one ski for railing groomers and ripping the front side in good conditions ? already have the ZX 108 188
    Iíve heard really good things about the 189 Blizzard Bonafide 97.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums