Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    most of my discussions hit at least 1000 words. But I think the effort is worth it - you should read my piece on Minecraft. It really explores the deeper context of my choice to not pay for apps that don't provide value to me. While on the surface it may come across as a personal diatribe, the underlying themes touch on how capitalist structures both enliven and burden society and the greater good.
    Do you like Phil Collins?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Do you like Phil Collins?
    You like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

OT.

I admin three areas here in Vermont and want to admin a fourth that has really fucked up mapping and the only real way to fix it is to delete some of the stuff and basically start over again. Who do I contact to ask for this? For the other areas I was reached out to, and when I message that account I get no response.

Even though I got free pro, I still payed them. I use it so much when I am working remotely that it just makes sense.

^ Who set you up as an admin? They can make u admin of anywhere and that next level can delete trails also. I'm the only admin for a few areas and I would not be able to add you. You'd have to go thru the guy who set me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    OT.

I admin three areas here in Vermont and want to admin a fourth that has really fucked up mapping and the only real way to fix it is to delete some of the stuff and basically start over again. Who do I contact to ask for this? For the other areas I was reached out to, and when I message that account I get no response.

Even though I got free pro, I still payed them. I use it so much when I am working remotely that it just makes sense.
    I usually just message Trevor May directly, although, I do know him and have ridden with him a few times but had traded TF related messages many times before we actually met in person

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Do you set a home location, or is it 38 (is that a rounder number in klicks?) of your current location?
    If you stick with the free version, you set it the first time you open the app, and you can set it to anywhere you want.

I bet if you go into the app properties and hit CLEAR DATA you can start it over again. 60km is nothing.
    Maybe. Or maybe it's tied to your user account.

I can just see @trustfund99 pulling up in their $50k sprinter, with their $5k bike, pulling out their $1k phone to reinstall the app so they can avoid paying $0.05 per day.

I can just see @trustfund99 pulling up in their $50k sprinter, with their $5k bike, pulling out their $1k phone to reinstall the app so they can avoid paying $0.05 per day.
    Whatever man. They stole his data.

And he's starting a thread on pinkbike right now!

I'm in the I like buckets of Rainier camp, so I don't mind supporting an app that I use, but don't need. But I do wonder if they've overplayed their hand a little. The casual rider with kids that keep outgrowing and breaking everything is (rightly) watching the pennies. The well-networked rider just messages their local friends before drifting into town.

And are people going to start withholding data?

I don't use it all that often but paid for it anyway so that when I want it I'll have it available. I've been playing with it on the computer and found layers I didn't know were there so I may find myself using it more often. Ehh, whatever, for $18/yr it won't hurt.

And he's starting a thread on pinkbike right now!

I'm in the I like buckets of Rainier camp, so I don't mind supporting an app that I use, but don't need. But I do wonder if they've overplayed their hand a little. The casual rider with kids that keep outgrowing and breaking everything is (rightly) watching the pennies. The well-networked rider just messages their local friends before drifting into town.

And are people going to start withholding data?
    honestly, Im going to pay for the first year as payback for the handful of times the free app has gotten myself unlost. After the first year though, IDK. I pretty much know the lay of the land at all the good riding spots within a 2 hour drive of me (so i can get unlost easily), and the backcountry rides where i could get lost are typically easy enough to navigate as they arent dense trail networks and I can bring a paper map.

IDK, i think it would be a better model to let me activate the mobile app for $2/day when i need it and then shut it down the rest of the time and not pay. Would probably work out to less than $10/yr for me though. That said, it would be really helpful if the backcountry skiing functionality ever became as useful as the bike trail data.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Admins get free accounts.
    Well, I got booted, so I'm not sure how they determine who gets free and who doesn't.

Meanwhile, I worked on cleaning up the track of the new trail we just built on TF.

Whatever man. They stole his data.
    Using a burner phone with username 7s@+1ak4,Nc1 so they can't track me. Gotta be smart about these things.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Well, I got booted, so I'm not sure how they determine who gets free and who doesn't.
    I got nothing there. Is there someone at TF you can contact?

Me? I didn't start a thread on Pink Bike. Never posted there.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I got nothing there. Is there someone at TF you can contact?
    Yeah, no worries. I didn't expect you too, was just letting everyone know. Yeah, I have a contact.

Again, I don't mind paying. It's not about the money, it's just the principle of it. Pinkbike has enough money these days.

The old tech model of “let’s give customers this product for free, don’t worry we’ll figure out a way to monetize it later...” is dying.

These apps take a lot of money to develop and maintain.

There are two options now.

You are either paying for their service.

Or

They are selling your data to advertisers.

Trailforks is an app I’ll happily pay for... we need less advertisements on these little screens in front of our faces....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I was just informed. You can qualify for free if you have enough points also. This is a good thing imo.

Good deal on the free account for major contributors. I’d heard they would probably do that so I’m glad to see it. I’m an admin but all volunteers burn out eventually. I have over 13K points from adding content over the years, so that should cover me. Not that I mind paying for a service I value, but I have sunk a lot of time into it.

The shift to a subscription is going to hit the back end more. It won’t cut down on trail additions since casual users don’t add much content. And when they do it’s often shit- I’ve wasted a lot of time cleaning up GPS tracks. A lot of people don’t even bother clipping an out-and-back track when adding a new trail. I eventually started rejecting those with an ask to clean up the data. But anything that reduces the amount of users will cut down on the trail condition reports and make the statistics page much less useful. If they’re robust enough those stats are really useful for planning/management discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    But anything that reduces the amount of users will cut down on the trail condition reports and make the statistics page much less useful. If they’re robust enough those stats are really useful for planning/management discussions.
    Agreed. Although most of our local trail updates come from local riders, so hopefully the free "home base" area in TF will mean updates still happen.

Agreed. Although most of our local trail updates come from local riders, so hopefully the free "home base" area in TF will mean updates still happen.
    This is my concern. We lose content because people either don't want to pay, or are mad because they started charging.

I don't think it will impact local reporting much at all since it will still be free for most users in those areas. Reports are generally local based riders anyway most of the time.

Yeah, it's not like paying for subscriptions isn't the new thing with everything...

https://shop.tetongravity.com/pages/tgr-premium
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Yeah, it's not like paying for subscriptions isn't the new thing with everything...

https://shop.tetongravity.com/pages/tgr-premium
    Lonely Planet has changed tgr a bit, but we still have this place.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    There are three options now.

You are either paying for their service.

Or

They are selling your data to advertisers.

or

Both
    FIFY