Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Moab vanlife advice?

I'm dragging the ladyfriend out to Moab in a psuedo-stealthy Promaster-based camper van. Our plan is to ride the "greats" for a day or too, but otherwise boondock it somewhere on blm land. Any tips for the area? Good vistas for bedding down vanlife-style?

Check what's open before you go. Moab is usually a shit show and will be more-so if/when only some camping areas are open. A lot of it was closed not too long ago and I haven't seen much news on what was re-opening. I think one of the easiest dispersed areas was out by Klondike or Willow Springs. FYI a poop bucket or other portable toilet is required even for dispersed camping, I've heard a few times rangers doing checks on campers. But a home depot bucket with garbage bag should suffice.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Klondike seems like a free for all. Even in May when the Covid lockdown was hard I saw like 10 vans/RVs out there who literally just drove around the "no camping" signs and it didn't seem like anyone was bothering them at all.

A van hasn't been stealthy in Moab for at least 20 years. Look at the maps of where dispersed camping is allowed because you're not going to get away with stealthing it illegally there. Like someone else said, portable toilets are required in most places.
    I've always stayed in campgrounds there because it was just easier. Of the places I've stayed, I liked the designated sites out Kane Creek the best.

I'm no expert but I camped at willow springs in July. It was a free for all but I found a nice spot and I just spent one night on my way from Ketchum to Durango. Lots of trails right there according to trailforks. Pretty views.

Lots of rv running the generator all night but I went q little further down the road.
    There are spots that a big rv cannot access due to clearance which are more chill.
    I suggest arriving while it's still light out.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Personally, I don’t like staying at willow springs or Dalton wells. So many people.

I like to stay up by Navajo Rocks on Dabinky Wells road.

Do they still allow pull-offs on Sand Flats Road?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

4WD?
    If so, I have a cheap stealthy campsite location that looks and feels like you're out in the middle of nowhere but is literally 50yds from bathroom and showers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	339525

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Do they still allow pull-offs on Sand Flats Road?
    There's reserved camping up there, not sure what you mean by pull offs but you cannot just pull off and camp on the side of the road. At least not till you get past Porcupine Rim TH. I've camped in the Juniper campground in the past and it was always pretty mellow and higher up out of the heat somewhat.

This site has some options: https://freecampsites.net/#!moab

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    A van hasn't been stealthy in Moab for at least 20 years. Look at the maps of where dispersed camping is allowed because you're not going to get away with stealthing it illegally there. Like someone else said, portable toilets are required in most places.
    I've always stayed in campgrounds there because it was just easier. Of the places I've stayed, I liked the designated sites out Kane Creek the best.
    This.

We're trying to figure out a trip for end of September/early October. Trying to figure out what's open for camping or not has been... fun.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

4WD?
    If so, I have a cheap stealthy campsite location that looks and feels like you're out in the middle of nowhere but is literally 50yds from bathroom and showers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	339525
    That's a dope spot that I may have to PM you about
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    That's a dope spot that I may have to PM you about
    Yeah, how many PMs you already get about this Roxtar? Will be down there in October and like me a semi rustic place to park the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yeah, how many PMs you already get about this Roxtar? Will be down there in October and like me a semi rustic place to park the truck.
    Always willing to share the love with maggots.

There are some cool spots out at behind the rocks. I've always had good luck there but I usually don't venture over peak season or if I do I crash at some friend's places in town. It's south of town out by the old 24 hours of moab route. Also gives you some fun uncrowded biking if you have a plus size or fatty(super sandy). Other than that I like poking around up off 313 kind of across the road from dead horse sp.

Always willing to share the love with maggots.
    Funny thing is that spot looks like an old go to for me..... But, now with the kids may be too 'extreme'.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Been a few years doing this (so ymmv I guess), but when I’m rolling in late and don’t want to fuck about, my goto has been: drive up kane creek road. You may luck out and get one of the plush spots in the canyon. But if not, just drive over the pass and out of the canyon to flat land. Pretty quickly becomes no-mans-land, with plenty of pullouts and no one in sight

Will be down there next week. Reccos for campsites with cell signal? Need to be able to answer emails and stuff for work. I know out near Horsethief I have had signal. I really like Kane Creek, but I'm almost certain you lose signal when you are only like 1/3 of a mile off pavement.

Will be down there next week. Reccos for campsites with cell signal? Need to be able to answer emails and stuff for work. I know out near Horsethief I have had signal. I really like Kane Creek, but I'm almost certain you lose signal when you are only like 1/3 of a mile off pavement.
    You get a bar on Kane Creek in the first few Ledge spots... sometimes.

You might try to see if you can get a spot the first mile or so up 128.
    Cell is tough out there. We had better luck with ATT than verizon last week.

I actually found this site very useful.

https://www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds/
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Stayed near Horsetheif recently in the campground and down the road from the campground, coverage (verizon) was obtainable but slow internet and messaging at times, some dude had a 20 ft tall antenna and said he got full bars, he had a family and three kids were online schooling.

It's pretty crazy how folks are camped nuts-to-butts everywhere with big satellite dishes, I assume it is for WFH.

Sand flats has cell signal.

Man... brave heading to Mojab in October, esp this year. From all 1st hand reports I've heard, it's been an *extra* special shitshow this autumn.

Then again, it's Moab... so fun will be had regardless of the shitshow.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Man... brave heading to Mojab in October, esp this year. From all 1st hand reports I've heard, it's been an *extra* special shitshow this autumn.

Then again, it's Moab... so fun will be had regardless of the shitshow.

yep. DOT has all of downtown under construction, it's been taking people hours to get into town from 70. Been seeing lots of reports that Moab is busier than ever right now. Their COVID rates are getting bad, too.

Hmmm, I got so lucky in May. Parks were closed, MTB trails were empty. It was glorious.

Hmmm, I got so lucky in May. Parks were closed, MTB trails were empty. It was glorious.
    Expect the opposite of that this time. If I were you, there's no way I'd consider going back next week... it's a total clusterfuck of a shitshow.

im here now, camping at North Klondike. its been absolutely fine, barely any people on the trails so far ( Klondike, Navajo rocks, Mag 7/Portal). We only saw 8 people total on all of mag seven and blue dot. But we havent been south of Potash road. Gonna go through town at 7am tomorrow for TWE...