Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I did not have the skills/balls to hit that then, but I am pretty sure I would nail it now. And I attribute that to the newer bikes...
    IIRC, JC was on a 180 36 on a bike intended for a 150 or 160...super slacked out...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

When did this thread turn into the old Coots guide to how awesome Moab used to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    When did this thread turn into the old Coots guide to how awesome Moab used to be?
    Fuck off, Junior!

I’m not old, I’m seasoned

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Hmmm.... The times I got to ride it were circa 2009-2010 and the subsequent destruction was carried out by a private landowner.
    I didn't buy a DH bike until 2005 so no I didn't ride it. What happened to the super short DH trail that started barely above Kens Lake? I haven't ridden it for awhile and it's not on Trail Forks. We would hit it when Moab was so windy it was the only thing protected. Might have ridden it last 5-7 years ago...

Memba when Sand Flats was wide open free camping anywhere you wanted to go? I memba.

And Lions Back was still open for Jeeps?

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    I've been road-tripping to Moab since '98, and have had the privilege of riding a bunch of locals-only stash with a certain Moab ER nurse, but I've never heard of that one. And I guess the opportunity is lost. Gonna be heading back that way early December and have my fingers crossed that the crowds dissipate after Thx-giving.
    This! Great stuff!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I didn't buy a DH bike until 2005 so no I didn't ride it. What happened to the super short DH trail that started barely above Kens Lake? I haven't ridden it for awhile and it's not on Trail Forks. We would hit it when Moab was so windy it was the only thing protected. Might have ridden it last 5-7 years ago...

Memba when Sand Flats was wide open free camping anywhere you wanted to go? I memba.

Yup and yup.

Memba when every single bush, scrub brush, and cactus near a campsite might have had used toilet paper in it?
    And you had to get ‘sponsored’ by some old drunk at Woody’s in order to get a drink?

Ha, coming from MT the sponsored thing was so confusing. We just wanna have one quick drink before pedaling up to our camp site on Sand Flats, and we need to do what?!?

Well, apparently, the etiquette was to buy the ‘sponsor’ a drink. Or something.

Exactly, to buy a desert rat one drink so my broke-ass college dirtbag could buy one drink and leave was stupid.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    We got to ride from Koko down yesterday. Still sick, but I know it doesn't count cause I'm not 50 years old and we didn't take a time machine to 1995 and do it on steel hardtails

Weather started moving in and I bounced. Lots of campers got nailed with storms last night. Glad I made that call.

Moab vanlife advice?

Megalodon was awesome. The upper part was cool terrain and I love that super steep stuff.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

What happened to the super short DH trail that started barely above Kens Lake? I haven't ridden it for awhile and it's not on Trail Forks. We would hit it when Moab was so windy it was the only thing protected. Might have ridden it last 5-7 years ago...
    That's actually an excellent question. We'd hit that at the end of Megalodon, though I'm not sure if it was actually considered part of Megalodon. After I heard about Megalodon being destroyed I completely forgot about that part until your post. That would be worth checking out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I’m not old, I’m seasoned
    😎
    I'd be willing to bet that I'm probably the oldest guy on this thread

I did Lion's Back in my built Cherokee back in the day

��
    I'd be willing to bet that I'm probably the oldest guy on this thread
    Humble brag?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Humble brag?
    No humbleness at all. That's pure brag😎

No humbleness at all. That's pure brag
    Pipe down, Old Man!

I was looking for the dude who was staying at Arches last year, I recommended him going to Klondike Bluffs from the north entrance of the park, all dirt roads...who was that and did it work out? I'm going to do the same in a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I was looking for the dude who was staying at Arches last year, I recommended him going to Klondike Bluffs from the north entrance of the park, all dirt roads...who was that and did it work out? I'm going to do the same in a couple days.
    I went in to the NP from the back way off Willow Springs the other day on the moto. I went out to Tower arch. I think if I had turned on Salt Valley rd I could have made it to Klondike or further north maybe? Also looked like it went to I70. Need to explore some more of that stuff.

Heard from a friend that there were only a handful of sucky sandy stretches on Willow to the park last week. Not sure how long that stuff holds up after precip or when the last stuff fell from the sky.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Heard from a friend that there were only a handful of sucky sandy stretches on Willow to the park last week. Not sure how long that stuff holds up after precip or when the last stuff fell from the sky.
    True statement. The rain has been great for traction

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I went in to the NP from the back way off Willow Springs the other day on the moto. I went out to Tower arch. I think if I had turned on Salt Valley rd I could have made it to Klondike or further north maybe? Also looked like it went to I70. Need to explore some more of that stuff.
    Yes you would have. I'm driving Salt Valley road today to skip the long lines at the main entrance, looks like a mellow washboard road on Google, and I'll probably check the access the Megasteps on my way. Looks real simple on a map for access.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Yes you would have. I'm driving Salt Valley road today to skip the long lines at the main entrance, looks like a mellow washboard road on Google, and I'll probably check the access the Megasteps on my way. Looks real simple on a map for access.
    IIRC there were some more technical spots on the road from Salt Valley into the park and high clearance/4wd was recommended. I was on a motorcycle so had no issues but I could see it being tough in a less than ideal vehicle (AKA a Spinter).