Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    So, we beat everyone down by miles (but we were the first people to Burro Pass). Glorious day, just us.
    Advice?
    Get up at the butt crack to do anything. Or do speed and stay up all night, your choice.
    Thanks for the birthday wishes, B-Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    well glad to hear it is not as busy at camping spots and trails as it seemed when we passed through last week.
    s
    It's absolutely fucking packed for camping and parking at trail heads, ha. People are straight up lying on here or are oblivious to their surroundings or what 'crowded' means. The weather change might clear some people out soon, maybe.

i think i heard it was estimated that 1000 people rode porc yesterday. The cars parked at the bottom were INSANE.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Work getting in the way and 8-14 day outlook showing above average temps. Warm and dry first week of Nov, so maybe let the weather there now blow out most of the crowds and head down after Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    i think i heard it was estimated that 1000 people rode porc yesterday. The cars parked at the bottom were INSANE.
    Jesus. I haven't ridden it in years for various reasons and really want to again, but fuck that.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Good thing that it is mostly one way. I did see a guy attempting to ride up it, at ~3pm, with a hardtail loaded for bike packing. Even if he was a badass, the volume of people coming at him would make it impossible.

Moab vanlife advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Good thing that it is mostly one way. I did see a guy attempting to ride up it, at ~3pm, with a hardtail loaded for bike packing. Even if he was a badass, the volume of people coming at him would make it impossible.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1603648561.347706.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	342.0 KB 
ID:	344823
    Last edited by bagtagley; 10-25-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    It's absolutely fucking packed for camping and parking at trail heads, ha. People are straight up lying on here or are oblivious to their surroundings or what 'crowded' means. The weather change might clear some people out soon, maybe.
    I'm aware of what crowded means. Moab is crowded right now. It's been "crowded" every time I've been there in the past 10yrs. I typically don't spend much time in town and camp 30-45m away. On this trip I stayed in the same free, uncrowded camping spots I have been staying at for 5+ yrs (and one new one) and rode the same trails I always ride (Mag 7, Ahab/Jackson) and some new ones (Navajo Rocks, Pipe Dream) without issue (except WE - hate self shuttling that one and didn't want to ride in a COVID shuttle). My experience was largely the same as it has been in past years, aside from the traffic which I was warned about and consequently spent 0 minutes sitting in. I have a more flexible setup than most so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Jesus. I haven't ridden it in years for various reasons and really want to again, but fuck that.
    Don't ride it on a Friday or a Saturday, and especially not on a Friday or Saturday during a global pandemic in which all outdoor recreation has seen unprecedented levels of participants, and I think you can still have the experience you're after.

I saw a bunch of camping vans parked in front of rental condos last night, so maybe everyone isn't leaving like I thought, ha. Moonflower Canyon waterfalls yesterday were jaw dropping, I hope more run in a couple days with warmer weather.

I haven't gone to Arches in decades, with all this snow I'm gonna go right now and hope for the best crowd-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Warm and dry first week of Nov, so maybe let the weather there now blow out most of the crowds and head down after Halloween.
    This exactly what thousands of others are thinking and planning to do.

Be at the trail head at dawn or dusk, and you are set. Be at the trail at 10:00, and you'll have lots of other friendly people having fun.
    Kind of like Arches or Zion.

I went in early March this year and it was perfect. Perfect weather, not many people. Stopped through in late aug/early Sept this year and it was still great. Hot, but not that bad.

anyone here done the seasonal worker vanlife thing in Moab? Was thinking about doing the bike shop thing for a spring or fall, but it seems like housing is impossible and the vanlife in the desert for months would get old.

I saw a bunch of camping vans parked in front of rental condos last night, so maybe everyone isn't leaving like I thought, ha. Moonflower Canyon waterfalls yesterday were jaw dropping, I hope more run in a couple days with warmer weather.

I haven't gone to Arches in decades, with all this snow I'm gonna go right now and hope for the best crowd-wise.

This exactly what thousands of others are thinking and planning to do.
    That's a good call.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Ride it in July. Won't be empty... but will be nearly so.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    anyone here done the seasonal worker vanlife thing in Moab? Was thinking about doing the bike shop thing for a spring or fall, but it seems like housing is impossible and the vanlife in the desert for months would get old.
    A friend did that this summer. He got a job as a raft guide and bounced around living in his van. Seems like he has had a good time. He definitely confirmed that finding housing is really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Ride it in July. Won't be empty... but will be nearly so.
    Touche.

Jet boats will be popular

I went in early March this year and it was perfect. Perfect weather, not many people. Stopped through in late aug/early Sept this year and it was still great. Hot, but not that bad.

I'd guess it t would get real old. Satan won't visit Moab in July and August

I did it about 18 years ago. Free camping was still a thing in a lot of spots close to town.

If I was you, I’d look to do this in a different town that isn’t a complete and utter shitshow. Maybe a summer in a Mtn town somewhere? Plenty of seasonal shop jobs and fewer sidebysides.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Guess I'm just gonna have to go find out what super fucking busy in Moab is. Remember, I grew up 1 hour from Philly and 1:20 from NYC. I know what actual "busy" and "traffic" is.

Guess I'm just gonna have to go find out what super fucking busy in Moab is. Remember, I grew up 1 hour from Philly and 1:20 from NYC. I know what actual "busy" and "traffic" is.
    Yeah, you get in the queue going south on 191 after 3 or so, it's legit stop and go for 100 minutes to get into town.

Hoping it's dying down after the snow.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    fewer sidebysides.

Now you've hit on the real problem.
    The cost & expertise of building a real 4X4 used to be a nice gatekeeper. Now $300 gets any idiot a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    That's a good call.
    it was closed due to ice and snow, d'oh!

Apparently you don't know what we are talking about at all, what has NYC got to do with camping in Moab? Moab busy is like Yellowstone summer busy. But if you are stuck in traffic for a half hour in Moab, loving every minute of it as you are thinking how worse it would be in NYC, good on you. If you ride the trails where you have to ask every 2-3 minutes to overtake people, and realize, hey, it's not as bad as Philly traffic, great! Personally I go camping to get the fuck away from people, not to share the desert with a thousand like doppelgangers as if I'm in a dispersed Burning Man city. Shit is gross. I also like to sleep in until the sun wakes me, cook breakfast slowly, and hang with friends before riding as the sun warms everything up, not wake up at 6 or 7am and go ride at 8am like it's my job every day, just to strategically avoid shit-shows.

I'll still visit Moab every year and deal with it all, but I'm pretty tired of chippy people here man-splaining on how to do Moab right, it's not a big secret how-to guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Now you've hit on the real problem.
    The cost & expertise of building a real 4X4 used to be a nice gatekeeper. Now $300 gets any idiot a day
    PREACH!!

I'll still visit Moab every year and deal with it all, but I'm pretty tired of chippy people here man-splaining on how to do Moab right, it's not a big secret how-to guys.
    ha! thought the same thing. I know how to do it, but it's still busy AF.
    let me lament about it
    skid luxury

it was closed due to ice and snow, d'oh!

Apparently you don't know what we are talking about at all, what has NYC got to do with camping in Moab? Moab busy is like Yellowstone summer busy. But if you are stuck in traffic for a half hour in Moab, loving every minute of it as you are thinking how worse it would be in NYC, good on you. If you ride the trails where you have to ask every 2-3 minutes to overtake people, and realize, hey, it's not as bad as Philly traffic, great! Personally I go camping to get the fuck away from people, not to share the desert with a thousand like doppelgangers as if I'm in a dispersed Burning Man city. Shit is gross. I also like to sleep in until the sun wakes me, cook breakfast slowly, and hang with friends before riding as the sun warms everything up, not wake up at 6 or 7am and go ride at 8am like it's my job every day, just to strategically avoid shit-shows.