Thread: What bike?

What bike?

We just got a bunch of snow in the hills, so for some strange reason, I’m itching for a new bike. This is a long read.

I’m currently riding a SC Hightower CC. It’s a great bike and just about perfect for me, but it’s getting a little clapped and I like shiny things. It’s 2018. Recently had Diaz make the Fork (fox 36) amazing. I also have LB carbon wheels that I can’t live without.

I ride a fair amount and don’t really ever shuttle (aside from point to point sorta stuff) and don’t spend time in the bike park. Many of my rides are 60-90min in-town hammers. And weekend alpine/high country rides. Durango livin. I don’t huck but i do like smallish airs and crushing chunk. 42yo.

If i could change one thing about the Hightower it would be that I’d want it to climb better. But I also know that the travel saves me from disaster, often. And I only say “climb better” because I want it to be easier. Duh.

Leaning toward a GG Trail Pistol. Thoughts are I’ll swap my wheels and fork (and maybe cranks?) onto new bike and then sell the Hightower with “OMG nEw WheEls and FoRk!!”

What else? Ripley? Smuggler? Fuel?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Revel Rascal? I’ve been putting my demo through the wringer for the past few weeks and I’ve been super impressed. It’s a pretty perfect Durango bike. The CBF suspension loves the chunk and square edges

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Joe! I keep meaning to come by and say hi and check out the Revel bikes. You keep coming up in conversations lately.

All good I hope! Haha.
    But yeah man, come by and check them out. They are beautiful bikes and work really well. I’m going to work with Diaz this fall to figure out the primo tune on the DPX for the Rascal.

Staying 29, it seems?

I think the trail pistol leaves a little to be desired. It's heavy for what it is, and the suspension is better on various other bikes in that class. The trail pistol really only makes sense if you're planning on mostly using it as a smash (which is a fucking great bike).

If you want a climb-y Hightower that's also a competent descender, maybe an sb130?

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    come by and check them out.
    Which other Revel do you have? I got to demo the Rascal and Rail last winter.

The Rail by far exceeded expectation climbing wise, I thought I might have been on a Rascal until the climbing got really steep then I knew I was on the longer travel bike. But for regular to moderate grade climbing it was a billy goat. Descending was as good as you could expect on a demo without time to dial it in.

The Rascal was good and as expected but didn't blow me away like the Rail did. Didn't seem much better climbing until it got to the really steep bits. Descending was ok but you could tell there was less travel than the Rail.

I'd like to check out the Ranger. Closest shop that will get them is up in LA, but maybe not til end of this month. I've demo'd and liked a Ripley. The other bike I'm looking at is the Spur. Pinkbike billed both the Spur and Ranger as bikes that liked to descend despite shorter travel. Seems like these would be perfect for backcountry exploring where rides should end with long descents. I have a Mojo3 now which is ok but seems more sluggish than I'd like on climbs. Can handle any tech descending as long as I keep speed in check, and not enough travel for big hits or jumps. So I'm thinking of selling off the whole fleet and replacing with something like a short travel 29er and 7ish" travel but pedallable rig for more burly rides. My delirium is close to 40 pounds and doesn't get ridden much since its such a pig. GG is intriguing with the ability to swap parts to have two bikes but honestly I'm too lazy for that.

I saw the Revel van when I was in Silverton last month.

I’ve been in the same situation. Currently debating between evil offering, ibis ripmo and the orbea occam. So many great bikes to choose from these days.

I’ve only got Rascals right now. Waiting on Rangers. Honestly, Rails didn’t intrigue me when I was placing my first order, but after spending time on the Rascal I was a bit more stoked on the idea of a longer travel bike with the CBF.
    Dirty was in Silverton for a while last month while the RFV was full of smoke, bumped into him up on the CT.
    I think the Rascal is a perfect DGO every day bike,I haven’t been too inclined to grab my Rallon for the past few weeks except for DH trails.

Cool, are you in a shop there?

The Rail pedalled well enough it would be in the conversation for a one bike quiver for me, similar to Ripmo, Smash or a few other bikes. Can't get my mind off short travel though as that's what most of my riding is ideal for.

Yep. Durango Cyclery.
    I’d be psyched to try a Rail, but I’m kinda addicted to 29er grip and speed.

Better climby Hightower sounds like you described
    130, rascal, ripley ripmo
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

NS Bikes Synonym might be worth a look. I was lusting for one early season but a new lighter pedally wheelset for my Snabb (and the bike park opening) quieted my urge.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ns-bik...r1-review.html

You didn’t say what shock you are running.

A better climby HT, for much less than the cost of a new bike, is the bike you already have with a custom tuned shock, and maybe double check the LSC tuning on your 36 (is it an RC2 damper?) for out-of-the-saddle hammering that still can provide good breakaway on impacts ...

New bikes will likely be heavier than what you already have, so if you are gonna go that route, you’ll probably wanna go full on bling (in other words, fancy Yeti over the GG route).

Personally I’d wanna know my HT CC was maxed out of potential before replacing it.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    We just got a bunch of snow in the hills, so for some strange reason, I’m itching for a new bike. This is a long read.

I’m currently riding a SC Hightower CC. It’s a great bike and just about perfect for me, but it’s getting a little clapped and I like shiny things. It’s 2018. Recently had Diaz make the Fork (fox 36) amazing. I also have LB carbon wheels that I can’t live without.

I ride a fair amount and don’t really ever shuttle (aside from point to point sorta stuff) and don’t spend time in the bike park. Many of my rides are 60-90min in-town hammers. And weekend alpine/high country rides. Durango livin. I don’t huck but i do like smallish airs and crushing chunk. 42yo.

If i could change one thing about the Hightower it would be that I’d want it to climb better. But I also know that the travel saves me from disaster, often. And I only say “climb better” because I want it to be easier. Duh.

Leaning toward a GG Trail Pistol. Thoughts are I’ll swap my wheels and fork (and maybe cranks?) onto new bike and then sell the Hightower with “OMG nEw WheEls and FoRk!!”

What else? Ripley? Smuggler? Fuel?

The new ones climb a little better, have steeper seat tubes, etc.

So many great bikes in this category. Revel, SB 130, etc.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'd be looking at a Revel Rascal or GG Trail Pistol, personally. You can probably get better value with the GG, but the Revel is a little lighter.

Tallboy cc. I don’t miss the travel I used to have

DW link bike sounds like the way to go. New Pivot Switchblade would be ideal... but is superboost. So maybe Ripley or Ripmo.

You should get an ebike to climb faster. I hear they are totally rad and not controversial at all.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    You should get an ebike to climb faster. I hear they are totally rad and not controversial at all.
    These climb really fast, and cheaper than some of the ebikes.

https://powersports.honda.com/off-ro...re/africa-twin
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thanks all. Numbers on the revel look good so I’ll put that on the list.

I have two ebike commuters so I am well aware of their awesomeness. Two more decades and I’m sure an ebike will be my primary jam.

I tried a switchblade when I bought my HT and didn’t connect with it.

Nothing “wrong” with my HT, but I like to replace bikes every 2-3 years so they have some amount of value in the flip.

You guys are all some smart nerdy mofos.

I love (love) my rascal. It's a little heavy in the GX build is my only complaint. I'm a XC style rider. Swapped the tires to a 2.3 aggressor and a 2.3 DHF. Shaved some weight and I think it handles a little better than the stock 2.4 \ 2.5s

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Nothing “wrong” with my HT, but I like to replace bikes every 2-3 years so they have some amount of value in the flip.
    I can get that.

It’s just that you hadn’t listed any specific complaints about geo or other ride qualities you’d like to improve, just climbing capabilities.

That’s why I pushed back on you first optimizing the HT v1 CC, because if you can stand the relatively short reach, above 17” chainstay length and relatively flexy front end (compared to current bikes in this class) - I truly believe that gen of linkage you have can be made to climb extremely well if you dial in the shock tune and fork LSC.

Personally, those 3 things above were something I felt other bikes in this class could do better with, but few of them are improved with frames of a similar weight to the gen 1 HT CC frame (5.9 lbs). Yeti SB130 Turq frame is 6.9 lbs, and SC won’t even list their HT2 CC frame weight anywhere.

I’ve also personally been complaining for a while that this push for hyper straight tracking stable aggro jump capable trail bikes that can handle rowdy stuff has pushed equivalent build weights up, almost a pound from the pre-boost to post-boost wide rim builds, and then from post-boost to current-gen another half pound or more. At some point, unless you are racing enduro or
    you truly don’t give a crap how long it takes to get to the top, just that you get there without blowing your energy ... the new bikes can be too much for a certain subset of user base. Again, this is for people who have a different perspective on “necessary” or “highly valued” downhill performance of a trail bike vs the uphill or weight etc.

Yes, weight isn’t everything. Just pointing out that you might already be sitting on a bike you might like better than new bikes, or if you can stomach 1.5 lbs of weight gain, then you can get improved pedal platform in addition to the longer reach faster geo more playful rear end and stiffer front end ... if any of those things matter to you ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Trek Fuel EX is the bike you are looking for
    crab in my shoe mouth