Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    I've been following the Izzy Mandelbaum program, it's all about taking it up a notch.

Cleared for re-entry to the slopes, no brace needed, will ski this Sunday, will post back update to feed the rehab stoke.

I been struggling with the PT cuz the normal stuff wasn't quite getting it but I think i found my holy grail,

Gym is shut down so get a mop pail fill it with however much weight i need and bend zee knee

skiing today the knee was taking shocks better and i can see the end of the tunnel
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

XXX-er, is that like a straight up squat motion or pistol squat or something else?

What are y'all doing re: brace or no-brace for activities? At my final doc appt. my doc asked me if I wanted a brace, I said no, and he said cool, and I skied yesterday without the brace and felt great, granted it was mostly groomers but my doc said if you can mentally handle no brace you'll continue to recover faster. After doing some searching seems like there's varying opinions out there, so curious what the collective here is doing and what are your docs telling you?

my surgeon ( in shape, 50+ skier biker ) also has a reconstructed ACL, he said he used a brace for his first year back but doesnt need it now so I didnt bother with the brace

the knee feels good mechanicaly/ never hurts but I think the muscles are not firing properly, the knee doesnt like shocks from bumps and so far the physio I was doing didnt acomplish the job, all the biking didnt seem to help or hinder,

so now I'm just bending at the knee going straight up and down holding on to my bar with one hand and the pail in the other, it seems to work > anything else so far and the gym is closed anyhow,

ymmv
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-10-2022 at 01:37 PM.

No brace it is, I like the idea of no brace unless it's absolutely necessary, so bulky and cumbersome.

Xxxer specificity is generally king. In this case the special skill of absorbing/ landing. I’m no pt but I’d start with some step down box jumps where you jump up to a low box and land on both legs (step down from the box don’t jump down - ALWAYS). You can then progress that to a 2 leg to 1 leg box jumps where you land on your weak leg. The reason for the box is you minimize the amount of force to your landing because you are landing higher than if you landed on the ground. Your landings should always be “soft and quite”.

You can then do 1 leg box jumps jumping and landing on your weak leg (and do an equal amount on your good leg). Once you can do several sets of these with good form and comfortably, you can start doing some jumps and landings on flat ground. Two and one legged hurdle hops, do them both forward and laterally.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Question for the gimp collective: did any of you start skiing with some degree of atrophy of the surgical leg still present? I lost a ton of mass off my surgical leg post surgery (~10 lbs of muscle, couple inches difference in circumference when compared to non-surgical leg), and there is still about an inch difference between the two legs. I'm about 7.5 months post-op at this point and feel more or less normal--I'm running 20-30 miles/wk with significant elevation gain/loss, climbing hard-ish (5.12/V7) with no pain, and doing a plyos and strength routine similar to what grskier posted on the previous page 2-3 times/wk. I saw a PT earlier this month, but he didn't have any suggestions with respect to returning to skiing. There is little to no difference in static strength between my two legs (e.g., I can do single leg squats or goblets with equal weight), though I'm still missing a bit of explosive strength in the surgical leg (e.g., triple hop distance on my non-surgical leg is about 6 m and about 5 m for my surgical leg)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb McHardman View Post
    Question for the gimp collective: did any of you start skiing with some degree of atrophy of the surgical leg still present? I lost a ton of mass off my surgical leg post surgery (~10 lbs of muscle, couple inches difference in circumference when compared to non-surgical leg), and there is still about an inch difference between the two legs. I'm about 7.5 months post-op at this point and feel more or less normal--I'm running 20-30 miles/wk with significant elevation gain/loss, climbing hard-ish (5.12/V7) with no pain, and doing a plyos and strength routine similar to what grskier posted on the previous page 2-3 times/wk. I saw a PT earlier this month, but he didn't have any suggestions with respect to returning to skiing. There is little to no difference in static strength between my two legs (e.g., I can do single leg squats or goblets with equal weight), though I'm still missing a bit of explosive strength in the surgical leg (e.g., triple hop distance on my non-surgical leg is about 6 m and about 5 m for my surgical leg)
    Yes, I definitely started skiing before gaining back the lost muscle mass that I had built up through 30 years of skiing, climbing, mountain biking and hiking. Five years later I still don't know if I've regained all the mass, but the leg feels strong, in some ways stronger than the uninjured leg, so I don't worry about it anymore. If you really want to regain that mass you need to hit the gym hard. I hate gyms so I decided I would just ski, bike, and hike uphill as much as possible (several days a week at least) to get the leg strong. That is a very sloooooowwww way to gain mass and I'm probably too old to ever go back to what it was before the accident, but like I said it feels strong and solid no matter what I'm doing. So get out there and start ripping groomers. I was at 8 months when I started skiing, so you're right in the ballpark.

YMMV but IME I took close to 2 yrs off so I gota do weight training, I did a fair mount of mtn bike/ touring but I felt myself backslidin so i went back to the gym and i should have done more weights

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yes, I definitely started skiing before gaining back the lost muscle mass that I had built up through 30 years of skiing, climbing, mountain biking and hiking. Five years later I still don't know if I've regained all the mass, but the leg feels strong, in some ways stronger than the uninjured leg, so I don't worry about it anymore. If you really want to regain that mass you need to hit the gym hard. I hate gyms so I decided I would just ski, bike, and hike uphill as much as possible (several days a week at least) to get the leg strong. That is a very sloooooowwww way to gain mass and I'm probably too old to ever go back to what it was before the accident, but like I said it feels strong and solid no matter what I'm doing. So get out there and start ripping groomers. I was at 8 months when I started skiing, so you're right in the ballpark.
    That's good info. I have a similar hatred of gyms and have been prioritizing building back functional strength through running, climbing, and cycling rather than strength for its own sake though lifting. Luckily the plyos and strength routine I've been doing only requires a couple of weights or heavy rocks, so I can do it at the end of a run or after climbing. I did ski today and felt better/more confident than expected. Started super mellow and slowly moved up to steeper runs and longer turns.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    YMMV but IME I took close to 2 yrs off so I gota do weight training, I did a fair mount of mtn bike/ touring but I felt myself backslidin so i went back to the gym and i should have done more weights
    I've definitely felt that backsliding feeling. I was feeling really good around 6 months and started to drop certain exercises but had to add them back into my routine after I started feeling some tweakiness in the knee. You really can't get complacent with this particular rehab process

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb McHardman View Post
    I've definitely felt that backsliding feeling. I was feeling really good around 6 months and started to drop certain exercises but had to add them back into my routine after I started feeling some tweakiness in the knee. You really can't get complacent with this particular rehab process
    That backsliding is normal, especially at 4-6 months. Time will heal the knee, and eventually those backslides will fade. Just don't re-injure it in the meantime. Lap the groomers, at least it's skiing. Don't ski in shitfuck conditions or flat light. You're almost there.

Just checking in as a recent member of the club.
    Closed medial tibial plateau fracture, complete ACL tear, damage to both menisci, partial PCL sprain/tear, and "a whole lot of collateral damage".

Doctor, surgeon, and PT all remarked about how I really managed to mess up just about everything (though fortunately not quite).

Surgery is schedule for two weeks from yesterday. Shittiest part is I left a longterm career last fall to take some time for myself this winter and ski as much as I could. Guess I found that limit quicker than I expected.

About to order an ice machine for recovery, thinking of the Breg Wave that includes compression. It's more expensive than most models, but I can own one for the cost of a 3 week rental of the GameReady. Just want to do whatever it takes to get back out there next year.

A buddy ( OR nurse) lent me her cryo cuff, a unit that looks like the Breg, the small cooler with cuff that recircs the ice water but i'm not completely sure of the brand , it didnt do enough to bother trying it more than once but YMMV

I just used icepacks but the meds are the big thing at least for the 1st week, do yerself a favor and be on the meds/ laxitive post-op, we wrote about it back in this link

good luck

^ I have one. Back in the day of my 3 knee surgeries I was broke broke and a $100 knee cooler was the bee’s knees to me.
    https://mycoldtherapy.com/collections/aircast

Checked out the Breg Wave and it does have some nice features over the Aircast.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    ^ I have one. Back in the day of my 3 knee surgeries I was broke broke and a $100 knee cooler was the bee’s knees to me.
    https://mycoldtherapy.com/collections/aircast

Checked out the Breg Wave and it does have some nice features over the Aircast.

Good luck!
    Forgot my dad has gone through multiple knee surgeries, so I'm borrowing his Aircast. Sounds like the place I might do PT has a Gameready, so I can get the compression benefits then. Pretty strapped for cash so it's nice to save however possible.

I left my job of 10+ years in the fall to take a winter for myself and ski bum while I could still enjoy it. Was working a couple days a quick to cover bills, but my whole plan pretty much blew up with my knee. Likely some skis headed to Gear Swap real soon...

Hey ACL'ers, I remember this post, my old Ireallyliketoski account got all jacked up, renamed with a 2, hacked whatever, I gave up and created my new, more efficient, Irlts moniker.

Anywho, coming back 2 years after the surgery, this year skiing has been awesome, feeling like my old self again, launching off of cliffs, skiing out of control, making bad decisions. Some folks say you should slow down, I say "everybody lives, but not everyone really lives that nice of a life" or something like that. The knee doesn't feel like it used to, weirdness around the quad graft feels funky, it makes crunchy noises and the cold makes it ache, but no pain and in full send mode!

peace
    seeker of sastrugi