Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Nice!
    Congratulations, ACL recovery is no cake walk.
    You should be good for the upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Congratulations, ACL recovery is no cake walk.
    well possibly but in my situ while the 9 month rehab is a bit of a bit of a long haul

looking back thru the posts if you just play along with the PT and don't be a dumbass

its gona work at least it did for me but I didnt know this at any point right up til the last day
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-03-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm now 4 weeks out from surgery. Everything is feeling good--full extension, flexion to 90 (not supposed to go further due to meniscus root repair), minimal swelling, incision is clean and closed. I've only seen my PT twice since surgery but I know what to do and am not lacking for motivation, so it hasn't been an issue. Two more weeks on crutches and in the locked brace, but that's all become very manageable. Hardest thing so far has been regaining quad function: didn't fully get it back until a week ago, and it took a lot of effort to get there. Pain has not been an issue. I went off the oxy two days after surgery and the naproxen five days after that. Still taking a small amount of aspirin before bed.

The worst part of the recovery process thus far has definitely been the sitting around. It fucking sucks and no amount of reading, writing, and sax or guitar playing changes that. I've also developed dandruff, which is unpleasant. Thankfully my doc cleared me for swimming, which I started today. Limited to freestyle with a buoy and no flip turns, but damn does it feel good to do something again.

I thot the thing to do was get back at it but seriuosly THE hardest thing to do IME was nothing

Listen carefully to the PT, consider the conversation with the big auz PT early on where I said " so what yer saying is I am really just an incubator for a chunk of patellar tendon trying to become an ACL ? "

"yeah ! yeah mate thats it ! "

so you MUST disconnect with your inner male's propensity to fuck shit up by coming back early and let the ACL reconstruct which takes a full 9 months IME

I didnt really have the option due to covid lockdown but doing other PT would be good, so keeping ever thing but the leg exercised at the gym would be good, just don't fall and fuck up the leg

I'm climbing back out of being sedentary for a year by hitting the gym, biking, paddling, drinking beer
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-06-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Word. I think the swimming is a good option since it's non-weightbearing and works the entire body (minus the legs for now). I should be cleared for the stationary bike in two weeks as well, so that will provide a nice balance. I figure any skiing I get in this coming season is bonus--9 months for me will be beginning of March, and I'm spending March and April getting my EMT so won't have too much free time then.

Is that a kitten covered in buds?

That's FKNAwesome.

Yes it is. Unfortunately neither the kitten nor the buds are mine

What's up fellow ACLers? Irls checking in with his 5 month post op update. Situation improving, biked 17 miles with 1500 vert the other day, felt good to be out for that long. Continued working on strengthening the quad/glutes, squats, pistol squats, leg presses (single and double), wall sits and what not. PT has also recently introduced some hopping and jumping which felt weird, like almost fell down the first few times, but after a few gos was right back at it doing agility drills, felt like the old two a days back when I was a starting tail back for my high school football team.

Mentally doing much better these days as well, getting out almost daily for walks and rides (breathable air helps), feeling pretty solid getting around, barely need a brace anymore, just really wear it in public more as a warning for other folks to stay the heck away from me or else. Next post op doc follow up is at the 6 month mark, hoping to get cleared to maybe play some golf or do some jogging, need a little more activity and a little less beer to lose some pounds, but who wants to cut down on beer, I'm up about 8 pounds, but kind of holding steady at that for the last month or two.

Overall, things looking up, which is good, looking forward to skiing some peaks next spring ski season and going for record number of descents of Schoolmarm in a season this winter.

That's great to hear. Sounds like you're making good progress. Are you road biking or out on the trails?

Listening to the PT is a really good idea IMO, 5 months is far from out of the woods, the knee really didnt feel that good til exactly 9months post op

I've been following the PT instructions pretty much from the get go, I figure they've got this ACL reconstruction/rehab thing down by now. Knee definitely doesn't feel even close to 100%, more like 60% at this point, I did the return to running test last PT and passed 4 of the 6 tests, was completely gassed and couldn't finish all of the last two, having to do that at the PT with a mask on is torture, but progress is good. For the biking I've been biking on the dirt trails around my house, and did a ride up the service road at winter park once, nothing harder than gravel/dirt as falling is out of the question, still feels good to just be out and doing something. All I want to see is progress, and a full recovery so I can ski Wilson Peak this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    I've been following the PT instructions pretty much from the get go, I figure they've got this ACL reconstruction/rehab thing down by now. Knee definitely doesn't feel even close to 100%, more like 60% at this point, I did the return to running test last PT and passed 4 of the 6 tests, was completely gassed and couldn't finish all of the last two, having to do that at the PT with a mask on is torture, but progress is good. For the biking I've been biking on the dirt trails around my house, and did a ride up the service road at winter park once, nothing harder than gravel/dirt as falling is out of the question, still feels good to just be out and doing something. All I want to see is progress, and a full recovery so I can ski Wilson Peak this spring.
    I doubt they'll clear golf, but jogging on level ground should be a go.

I'm 7 months out and I did my first big bike ride test a week ago:
    Distance
    32.72 mi
    Elev Gain
    3,585 ft
    Time
    3h 15m

Felt great until the last 3-4 miles. Still sore a week out with just a few small rides in between. It seems the last 2-3 weeks I'm starting to level out strength, so I'll up my weight again on squats etc.

Been dabbling with the MTB, I feel way better on that then I would have thought, but just know I can't dab, so it's just taking the dogs for a walk and a little pump track action.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Biked 20 miles on Sunday, only 800 vert, but still a good day in the saddle.

Had the 5 1/2 month follow up with the doctor today and it went well, he said "Ireallyliketoski, great job so far on the PT, leg muscle improving, still much work to do, but on track, you can start jogging a little now and playing some golf at the 6 month mark on 9/26, keep up the PT, focus on the pistol squats, eccentric something or other, and stay out of the gnar"

Couldn't have gone any better, most pleased at this point.

The stoke on this thread the last couple weeks has been great. Definitely keeping me motivated.

I hit the 3 month/13 week mark this Monday and had my first PT appointment since then earlier today. PT wanted to give me a preview of the return to sports/running tests, so she had me try out all 6 of them. Ended up passing all of them, which was totally unexpected but very rad. PT and I agreed that it would be best to hold off on jogging until I get some more mass back in my quad, but that backpacking, gravel biking, and super easy singletrack should be ok. I'm still pretty circumspect about pushing the knee in any way, but passing the tests and hearing her assessment of my progress was very gratifying and a huge morale boost.

Just got back from 500km of bad road peddling my ass across interior BC on forestry roads, ever thing else hurt but the knee worked flawlessly

1 yr post op

Wow!! 500,000 miles is insane!

Km = kilometer eh

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Km = kilometer eh
    ah, ha ha ha ha, pardon my english.

shouldnt that be "pardon my American" and BTW if you are American no apology is necessary ... just radio for an airstrike

9 month update.
    I'm doing all the jumping protocols now. Not amazing, but they are getting done. I found these two workouts to be tremendous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaFv...IaYs5f&index=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWu9...index=6&t=543s

I haven't finished the 6 yet in 1 go.
    Could I.. sure... but I'm so sore after these and I don't want to push it too much....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

so 13 months post op I havent done any PT in the gym, just blasting around the bike area on the new E bike cuz they are so much fun but in spite of > a thousand kilometers of biking since sept oneth half of it off road I can feel my knee is slightly back sliding and so its back to the gym til snow flies fer me .

I thot with a 500 kilometer bike trip and a bunch of mtn biking I would never look back but I would have to say such is not the case SO more work to do before the snow flies eh

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so 13 months post op I havent done any PT in the gym, just blasting around the bike area on the new E bike cuz they are so much fun but in spite of > a thousand kilometers of biking since sept oneth half of it off road I can feel my knee is slightly back sliding and so its back to the gym til snow flies fer me .

I thot with a 500 kilometer bike trip and a bunch of mtn biking I would never look back but I would have to say such is not the case SO more work to do before the snow flies eh
    Gotta get them one legged squats and deadlifts going! One leg box jumps up and down. I’ve been keeping after mine and it’s better now than the “good” one.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Gotta get them one legged squats and deadlifts going! One leg box jumps up and down. I’ve been keeping after mine and it’s better now than the “good” one.
    Do not repeatedly jump down on one leg from a box, especially when facing the box. #donoharm

Hurdle hops, on one leg or both are a better / safer exercise to train deceleration and stability.

OK, so, PT definitely pays off... duh.
    Those two workouts I posted above are great, I need to keep them on a weekly rotation.
    Passed my back to sport, although had a few things to work on. I was having some cramps in my calves that morning.... a bike ride, workout and hot springs session the few days prior didn't help my case.

Talked to the surgeon, who had just come back from a training camp with WC guy coming off ACL tear too. So our long talk about back to sport was great and we talked about drills and how hard to push, etc. Also saw their back to sport PA and the brace fitter.

Have the Don Joy brace and wore it my first day skiing... It doesn't bother me too much and I can ALMOST ignore it. I need to make sure my phone is in my other pocket, etc. I just skied groomers but opened it up to about 40 mph a few times. It'll be a few skis before I'm back to 60. It'll be 2-3 more days before I'm back to skiing moguls etc... especially with how thin everything is right now.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

The hill was semi open weekend before last, so I gave skiing a try first time in almost 2 years and it was pretty bad to the point I figured skiing ws done for me

So I hit up the physio and he did somework/ gave me some exercises, apparently muscles in my leg were not right so the knee was protecting itself

I tried skiing again Sun/ Mon and I managed 6 easy groomer runs on each day, which all worked ok I would say the knee seems pretty stable but the muscles are kind of whack,

I couldn't stomp down into a Baron binding so a buddy had to help me pull the binding up ... more weight room stuff is required obviously