Sept 2020 Western States Windstorm

I'm guessing a lot of people who post here who are affected by this have no power right now and are too busy to post.

Crazy windy in SLC right now....my question to you all is, there was a transformer blown near work this morning and now the lights are flickering, the garage door only has enough power to open 2 inches.....as if it's a low battery but it's not on a battery. Something wrong at my circuit breaker maybe or an external issue?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I'm guessing a lot of people who post here who are affected by this have no power right now and are too busy to post.

Crazy windy in SLC right now....my question to you all is, there was a transformer blown near work this morning and now the lights are flickering, the garage door only has enough power to open 2 inches.....as if it's a low battery but it's not on a battery. Something wrong at my circuit breaker maybe or an external issue?
    NWS forecasting 60 mph + winds later this afternoon in the Q......Told the Mrs. to batten down the hatches. As to your situation muted, wouldn't hurt to check the circuit breaker, but I'd bet it is a result of the blown transformer. But I'm not a dentist so.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Got hit hard in N. Idaho yesterday, I live in town. Saw the power flicker but no outages. Definitely some trees down but nothing too crazy up here. Cold and clear here now, was in the 30s this morning.

or an external issue?
    hmmm, see thread title for answer

I left Teton Valley at 4am this morning to drive back to Ogden. Wind started to get bad around Idaho Falls. I had two emergency brake and swerves to miss trees falling in the road. At least 10 semi trailers turned over through Box Elder county. At work now in the EOC.

Apparently it's a brown out, I was wondering if my circuit breaker box was damaged from the transformer blowing out.

I'm in Boulder City, outside of Las Vegas. I woke up to some pretty wild winds and a lot of stuff blowing around. The oddest thing I encountered was a plastic dash off a car I couldn't identify.

It dropped 30+ degrees overnight, so it makes sense.

Interestingly looking at the weather map, the high wind warning is for a narrow corridor on the east side of the mountains that separate Las Vegas from where I am now/Lake Mead. When I drive the 8 miles to work and cross the little pass, it will supposedly be much calmer.

Apparently it's a brown out, I was wondering if my circuit breaker box was damaged from the transformer blowing out.
    Yah; sounds like you supply is single-phasing. Big risk of burning things out with weak supply - avoid using anything with moderate to large power draw.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Yah; sounds like you supply is single-phasing. Big risk of burning things out with weak supply - avoid using anything with moderate to large power draw.
    And sensitive electronics?

I’d switch your box off.

been sitting at work for a couple hours with no power. Just send us home already ya fucktards

Sent from a van down by the river
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Big Sandy Lodge in the Winds where we stayed a week and a half ago has a bunch of big trees down. I really hope everybody still in the BC is okay. So much beetle kill.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story...21231704642896

Just saw jax wind post on the gram down south. Holy shit.

The weather is fucked everywhere you turn.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by uglymoney; 09-08-2020 at 12:31 PM.

We had a roughly 60lb steel umbrella pole (collapsed) and base blow across our porch last night and Yeti 125 fly across the driveway.

Alas, my wife's Shitsu didn't get harmed, though. I thought for sure that he'd get blown into the next county but no such luck.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Huge trees down at my kids place in SLC- one that just missed her car but hit her roomate's pretty good. No power, no school.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

After yesterday's wind storm I no longer need to prune my Sycamore tree.

Always interesting when the wind comes from a non-standard direction. Trees that never lose any branches under that same wind speeds from the usual cardinal direction (SW) have a real hard time when it shifts (yesterday's wind was NNE).
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Interesting times in Utah. Put doggles on the dog and he pooped. Victory

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Thanks PB, I appreciate it.

Trees are down everywhere in upper Sugarhouse and beyond. The power lines down did go to my house eventually. They marked it off but there isn't even a crew trying to fix it. Too windy still. Suppose to die down tomorrow morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4294.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	339348

Name:	IMG_4286.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	339349

Name:	IMG_4285.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	339350

Name:	IMG_4293.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	339351

Got the fridge and TV plugged in to the generator at home, so far so fine. Waiting for the big front yard tree to tip over on us though.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Just saw jax wind post on the gram down south. Holy shit.
    Just watched her video. Pretty crazy. Not going to be much of a fall color season. All the leaves are going to be blown off before they've had a chance to change!

Damn, I saw that first pic of a spruce down and was like "eh...spruce always tip over" but then the fucking hardwoods?! Damn!