Kokopelli: Which Direction

Likely heading out in the next few weeks to recon for a "Kokopelli in a day" attempt next spring.
    My riding partner is into doing it from Moab to Loma to get climbing out of the way early. This is essentially opposite of what most people do.

The objective is more about surviving a big day and not so much about epic riding.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the route.
    Any reason to not do it in this direction?
    Last edited by XtrPickels; 09-08-2020 at 10:36 AM.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Also completely unfamiliar, but as an armchair observer when Lachlan did his new FKT I think starting in Moab does make sense. Start at O'dark thirty. Doing the slow hard climbing early while fresh makes more sense than doing it late when tired and hot?

Are you asking for your recon trip or the single day attempt?

For a single day attempt Moab to Fruita is the right direction, no questions. You get the long climb out of the way in the dark, the technical terrain and climb climbing also show up earlier.

The other way is better for multi day trips because you build toward the more interesting terrain and views. It would be anticlimactic doing it Moab to Fruita while touring. Watch out for the Rose Hill section... it will take way longer than you think. Essentially Fisher Towers to the Colorado River is tough, or the opposite direction.

Any other questions?