Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Riding/racing in Ashland, OR?

So I found a registration for the CES race in Ashland first weekend of October. What's the deal with this place? Looks like no chairlift access all shuttles. Park your vehicle up top, ride a trail/stage, then shuttle back up top from town?

Looking at shuttles now many already sold out it seems. Racing on Sunday. 5 stages and I want to pre-ride every stage. Amateur cats race on Saturday, so I guess I should do all my practice on Thurs/Fri?

Hard to tell just from trailforks. Can you ride multiple stages with some pedaling using only one shuttle, or is it the kind of place where you need a shuttle per lap?

Totally in the dark. All I know is that it's sweet and they have real dirt supposedly and I found an extra reg spot this AM.

No chairlift. Shuttles from town up to the ski area for the upper eastside trails (Bull Gap and Missing Links). Shuttle or pedal up from town for the lower stages (Catwalk and below). Shuttles probably mostly full for the race, but what do I know?

You can ride pretty much every stage with one shuttle from the top. Bull Gap, Missing Links, Catwalk, Marty's, Lizard, Caterpillar, and Rabbit Hole can all flow together in one run.

I live and ride in Ashland. If you are coming down for the race - feel free to hit me up for a local's tour of the race lines and a shuttle opportunity or two. The trails here are very fast and not technical (for the most part). It is not unheard of to hit 40 mph on Catwalk! Dirt is mostly DG and if it hasn't rained much it will be very, very loose with lots and lots of braking bumps. We should be getting rain by the then, though (fingers crossed).

Not sure if that answers your questions, but I'm happy to provide more info if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by donetlynx View Post
    No chairlift. Shuttles from town up to the ski area for the upper eastside trails (Bull Gap and Missing Links). Shuttle or pedal up from town for the lower stages (Catwalk and below). Shuttles probably mostly full for the race, but what do I know?

You can ride pretty much every stage with one shuttle from the top. Bull Gap, Missing Links, Catwalk, Marty's, Lizard, Caterpillar, and Rabbit Hole can all flow together in one run.

I live and ride in Ashland. If you are coming down for the race - feel free to hit me up for a local's tour of the race lines and a shuttle opportunity or two. The trails here are very fast and not technical (for the most part). It is not unheard of to hit 40 mph on Catwalk! Dirt is mostly DG and if it hasn't rained much it will be very, very loose with lots and lots of braking bumps. We should be getting rain by the then, though (fingers crossed).

Not sure if that answers your questions, but I'm happy to provide more info if needed.
    Sweet! Thanks. Would love to take up on some local's lines and shuttle if possible. Planning to come in Thurs or Friday and practice one or two days before Sunday's race. Will be truck camping dispersed in the area.

What do you guys think the odds are of this race even happening? I would think bike racing would be pretty low on the priority list after all the fire destruction.....assuming it even rains at all in the next 2 weeks.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    What do you guys think the odds are of this race even happening?
    Greater than zero.

But not by much.

So looks like the race is on, but all dispersed camping is closed. Does anyone in the area know if ALL camping of any sort is closed?

PM schralphmachio.

(Meant to sound like PM rontele, but I'm serious. He lives in Oregon and likes to camp/ride around Ashland.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

There should be private campgrounds in the area that are open. Last time I rode the area almost 10 yrs ago we stayed in a private campground. Couldn't tell you where it was exactly as I didn't organize the trip, but it wasn't too far away. Call Ashland Mtn Adventures, I'm sure they can recommend something.

Anyone know if the race got a special permit to exempt them from the closure or is there an expectation to lift some/all of the siskiyou closure? Heading down soon for rogue trip and was hoping to bring bikes, but not if this is still in effect: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd802358.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Anyone know if the race got a special permit to exempt them from the closure or is there an expectation to lift some/all of the siskiyou closure? Heading down soon for rogue trip and was hoping to bring bikes, but not if this is still in effect: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd802358.pdf
    I'm guessing it's a special exemption for the race.

Race is on. Forest around Ashland is open. MOTR trails are open near Rogue River. Many other trails now back open today. Closure has been rescinded, as of today, for most areas east and north of the Slater/Devil Fires. We got a little bit of rain. More tomorrow, perhaps. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd811274.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    I'm guessing it's a special exemption for the race.
    Last edited by donetlynx; 09-25-2020 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Link to updated closure

Quote Originally Posted by donetlynx View Post
    Race is on. Forest around Ashland is open. MOTR trails are open near Rogue River. Many other trails now back open today. Closure has been rescinded, as of today, for most areas east and north of the Slater/Devil Fires. We got a little bit of rain. More tomorrow, perhaps. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd811274.pdf
    Right on, thanks!

Anyone know of dispersed/stealth camping near Burns, OR? Seems like a good stopping point on my way to Ashland. About 10 hours from home.

Burns: key words “Got any more of them gummy-dicks?”
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yeah I guess it's middle of fucking nowhere. Good BLM close to the road though.

Occupy the wildlife refuge

Ok, so I fully understand pushing business to local private campgrounds and hotels. I may stay in a room one or two nights in Ashland. The email the race organizers sent out says that basically all dispersed camping is forbidden right now, yet I can't find anything on the NF website backing that up. I'm looking in the wrong place? As far as I can tell the forest is open again you just can't have fires....duh.

My interpretation of the updated order on the Rogue Siskyou NF website is basically stay away from the closure area, and don’t have a fire.

You can just call the Siskyou Mountains Ranger District to confirm CG and dispersed camping along NF-20. Phone number here:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/rogue-siskiyou/

There is very limited space up there on 20 so it would be irresponsible for AMA to promote that option. If Emigrant Lake County Park is open, that’s a much more managed system for developed camping.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    My interpretation of the updated order on the Rogue Siskyou NF website is basically stay away from the closure area, and don’t have a fire.

You can just call the Siskyou Mountains Ranger District to confirm CG and dispersed camping along NF-20. Phone number here:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/rogue-siskiyou/

There is very limited space up there on 20 so it would be irresponsible for AMA to promote that option. If Emigrant Lake County Park is open, that’s a much more managed system for developed camping.
    Thanks. Unless I am missing something closure area was fairly far west of Ashland/Mt. Ashland? IDK if it's like it has been around here, but all summer every developed CG has been 100% capacity like Thurs > Monday every week.

Oof, totally didn’t realize that Road 20 and Ashland CG is Klamath National Forest, not Rogue. That’s closed through today. Call Klamath NF Happy Camp Ranger District after today to confirm closure hasn’t been extended.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Mount A is a primitive CG with only graded spots and a shitter - and very full, I was lucky to get a spot there on 3rd of July around 3 PM, and it was 2nd to last spot. Dispersed turnouts up there seemed to fill up quickly- but if all you need is a flat spot to park your truck you should be able to find something up there.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

The old 12-mile Ashland Super D--when it was simply a single top-to-bottom race--was the best race ever. I camped at the Ashland KOA for convenience when I did it in 2010. If, by chance, you ever get a chance to ride with (Wild) Bill--the operator of the shuttle company--do it. The guy is so fast and knows the trails better than anyone. Good luck and have fun. Also, enjoy Ashland's baffling abundance of attractive women.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Mount A is a primitive CG with only graded spots and a shitter - and very full, I was lucky to get a spot there on 3rd of July around 3 PM, and it was 2nd to last spot. Dispersed turnouts up there seemed to fill up quickly- but if all you need is a flat spot to park your truck you should be able to find something up there.
    So I CAN camp up there? Was almost dark by the time I rode back into town. This place is sick. Even super dry and it still runs so good. Can't imagine when there is some moisture in the soil. Didn't want to fuck around in the dark trying to find a camp spot so I splurged for a room tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Also, enjoy Ashland's baffling abundance of attractive women.
    Definitely saw some talent when pedaling back into town.

So I CAN camp up there? Was almost dark by the time I rode back into town.
    It should have opened for camping today.
    Like I said in previous post,

Call Klamath NF Happy Camp Ranger Station to confirm if Mt Ashland and all of NF20 near there is open for camping.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/klamath/alerts-notices

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Phishshow, if you see a guy on a pink hardtail today, that’s me, ask for change

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell