Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Helmet advice

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Don’t fall for the MIPS bs (don’t make me cite it, but it is well and truly debunked - only marketing faff keeps it alive). E.g. Poc was an early adopter, then bailed.

Get it or don’t, but don’t let it rule anything out that fits. Oval melon here, and Poc Tectal Race works great for me.
    POC tried to do it themselves with their proprietary SPIN system. Makes sense from a cost standpoint.
    However, they're going back to MIPs in new styles.

I have a Giro Manifest. As a sweaty pig it's been good. Much better than POC helmets. I also think it's more comfortable than traditional MIPs helmets where you can feel the anchor nubbins.

It is, however, Expensive AF.

Disagreed that mips is pure marketing fluff, but the situations where it'll do anything are very specific and very limited. And none of the certification standards test those sort of situations, so there's that. And mips will make any helmet significantly hotter than a non-mips equivalent.

For an oval head, giro reigns supreme. Leatt and poc are decent.

Need a new helmet - preferably with removable chin bar.

Supply seems thin (like everything else bike related) - any insiders 1) have a sense when 2021 stock would normally be shipped to stores and 2) is covid impacting that significantly like everything else?

Bumping this since I'm in search of a decently affordable full face for the bike park this season. I have never put my bike on a lift before but I have ridden a handful of lift served trails as part of trail rides and would've felt a lot more comfortable in a full face based on the speed and my poopy jumping skills. This year I plan on riding the park a couple days a week since I finally live near one so I want to invest in some face protection. I got a lead on a cheap Fox Rampage which seems to be well liked but I don't love that it doesn't seem to have MIPS or a spherical equivalent. I'd rather not spend more than like $150 but I also don't want to cheap out on head protection if there really aren't any good options for less than that. Ventilation and weight aren't of huge concern since I'll just be using this for lift served laps. Any recs are appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Bumping this since I'm in search of a decently affordable full face for the bike park this season. I have never put my bike on a lift before but I have ridden a handful of lift served trails as part of trail rides and would've felt a lot more comfortable in a full face based on the speed and my poopy jumping skills. This year I plan on riding the park a couple days a week since I finally live near one so I want to invest in some face protection. I got a lead on a cheap Fox Rampage which seems to be well liked but I don't love that it doesn't seem to have MIPS or a spherical equivalent. I'd rather not spend more than like $150 but I also don't want to cheap out on head protection if there really aren't any good options for less than that. Ventilation and weight aren't of huge concern since I'll just be using this for lift served laps. Any recs are appreciated
    Fit is, if anything, even more important with a full face, since they're generally less adjustable, and there are more variables that matter, since it interfaces with more of your head and face. Really recommend trying stuff on if you can.

MIPS or equivalent for under $150 is going to be tough. Good full face helmets are spendy.

Bumping this for general helmet advice, as I need a new lid and hoping to find a deal:

I know that Giro fits (size L) and know that Smith doesn't fit well. Are there any Giro codes out there like there are for Smith?

I try not to do the "go into shop, try things on, then search for deal online", but fuck, how do you know what fits? And should I feel compelled to buy there just because a shop has some helmets in stock?

I'm broke AF plus I am trying to buy my first new bike in 14 years, so shelling out a couple hundred for a helmet is hard to swallow.

I guess when it comes down to it, I'm mostly just whining. But if anyone does have advice or a hookup, I'm all ears.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Honestly even the lower end the giros are great. You don't need a $200 helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Bumping this for general helmet advice, as I need a new lid and hoping to find a deal:

I know that Giro fits (size L) and know that Smith doesn't fit well. Are there any Giro codes out there like there are for Smith?

I try not to do the "go into shop, try things on, then search for deal online", but fuck, how do you know what fits? And should I feel compelled to buy there just because a shop has some helmets in stock?

I'm broke AF plus I am trying to buy my first new bike in 14 years, so shelling out a couple hundred for a helmet is hard to swallow.

I guess when it comes down to it, I'm mostly just whining. But if anyone does have advice or a hookup, I'm all ears.
    If you have a round head fit, the Bell Helmets are pretty good (in my opinion). You can find the Bell 4Forty MIPS for between $60 (smaller sizes) to $100.

Also, looks like you can find older Troy Lee A1s for less than $100. Also fits a round head.

For oblong heads, then go with a Giro or a lower end POC (POC Tectal or POC Axion Spin)
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

I have been happy with my Specialized Tactic for my large oval head. I have the older model though. The new style is not for everyone. It is worth noting that the $100 helmets are generally just as safe as the $200 ones, but might have a little less ventilation or fancy stuff like sunglasses holders, but I sweat no matter what and just cram my glasses in the vents anyway.

Do you have a larger retailer brick and mortar near you? REI? Evo? Etc…. Hunt for online deals, get them shipped to the brick and mortar, try it on when you get there and if they don’t fit return it immediately at no cost.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Short answer: Yes.
    What’s your brain worth? What’s your time worth? Go to one of the 40 bike shops within a half hour of your house, find a $150 Giro helmet in a neutral color that will not clash with your wardrobe or future-bike and buy it.
    Or dick around on the internet searching for nebulous fit advice and a 15% off code and cross your fingers.

FTR: I’ve always thought I had a very Giro head, but have comfortably worn Smith, POC, Fox, TLD and even a Bell DH endurbro…so go put some helmets on your head and see what feels good and buy it.

^^ Absolutely worth going in, no need to buy most expensive helmet in stock, but one that fits is best. So no reason to shy away from the ~$100 helmets. I have a Lazer Impala and bought my kid a slightly cheaper Lazer Chiru as it fit and she liked the colors. It's a great helmet with just a few less features than my Impala. Both MIPS etc, but hers doesn't have adjustable visor, NBD.

I've had both Giros (Super/Super R) and Smiths in Large. Fit seems similar for my head. Never spent more than $100 on them as you can usually find good deals on decent $150-200 MIPS helmets with desirable features.

Giro Montaro MIPS, Large Matte Black for $80 - https://www.steepandcheap.com/giro-montaro-mips-helmet?

Giro Giro Radix MIPS, Large Black for $85 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/36378029200...4AAOSwnk9iQkTa

Troy Lee A1, M/L for $75: https://www.steepandcheap.com/troy-l...1-helmet-drone

while yer at it check out the elbow & knee padz or any other piece of gear that requires you actualy try something on to see if it fits

as opposed to asking a bunch of strangers who can't see you what to buy as if they know what you look like
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The "what's your brain worth" pitch has always been the way to up sell the expensive helmets, which don't protect any better on impact - they're all more or less equal in safety, it's just a matter of fit and ventilation. MIPS may be worth the extra $, or may not.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

If you want to see safety ratings look up the Virginia tech helmet tests. You can quickly see which affordable helmets scored better.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Short answer: Yes.
    What’s your brain worth? What’s your time worth? Go to one of the 40 bike shops within a half hour of your house, find a $150 Giro helmet in a neutral color that will not clash with your wardrobe or future-bike and buy it.
    Or dick around on the internet searching for nebulous fit advice and a 15% off code and cross your fingers.

FTR: I’ve always thought I had a very Giro head, but have comfortably worn Smith, POC, Fox, TLD and even a Bell DH endurbro…so go put some helmets on your head and see what feels good and buy it.

good points. will do.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Helmet advice

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The "what's your brain worth" pitch has always been the way to up sell the expensive helmets, which don't protect any better on impact - they're all more or less equal in safety, it's just a matter of fit and ventilation. MIPS may be worth the extra $, or may not.
    In the past it’s how I’ve generally upsold from $40 helmets to $80-100 helmets because I do think it makes a difference in fit and retention. Cheap, universal fit helmets in that range are great for rentals, but not suitable for frequent “enthusiast” use. Beyond $100-ish, it’s weight, venting, picky fit/safety details…retention, pads, spherical MIPS, etc
    $120-140 has always been a pretty sweet value spot IMO.
    I was really just trying to tell Danno that fit/comfort is paramount and by the time he goes to a shop to try on a few helmets, he should just buy the one he likes because he’s a lawyer and a dad and his head and time are valuable.
    We don’t even sell helmets in the shop because they’re bulky and expensive to stock at a diverse and effective amount.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    In the past it’s how I’ve generally upsold from $40 helmets to $80-100 helmets because I do think it makes a difference in fit and retention. Cheap, universal fit helmets in that range are great for rentals, but not suitable for frequent “enthusiast” use. Beyond $100-ish, it’s weight, venting, picky fit/safety details…retention, pads, spherical MIPS, etc
    $120-140 has always been a pretty sweet value spot IMO.
    I was really just trying to tell Danno that fit/comfort is paramount
    Agree with all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I sold some full coverage helmets as xmas presents for the juniors out there, the sales pitch to the dads was that the chin guard was a great way to protect that orthodontic job he paid a lot of money for and it worked pretty good
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ended up with a Giro Radix. Tried a Troy Lee Designs, a Bontrager, and a POC, and the Giro was the only one that fit well. Paid full price.

Ended up with a Giro Radix. Tried a Troy Lee Designs, a Bontrager, and a POC, and the Giro was the only one that fit well. Paid full price.
    Can u compare the fit for us?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Not really. 1 was pretty comfortable, 3 weren't that much.

Biggest thing for me is that for the Giro, the adjustment knob was below that point on the back of the skull, while the others pressed against it.

Sometimes that’s adjustable up and down.

Just picked up an IXS helmet that I am really digging. I have been on Giro Hexes for at least ten years, I think this one fits a little better. The camo is not my style, though.

https://ixs.com/us/bike/mtb-equipmen...mips-grey-camo
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident