Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Helmet advice

Helmet advice

Just cracked my giro chronicle in a crash and need a replacement ASAP. Giros fit me pretty well as I have an oval head but the chronicle was too hot. Anything better than a montaro on sale? I want oval fit, good coverage and mips. Would consider a convertible but haven’t tried one on that fits.

I like my bell super with removable full face so I can be safe. MIPS and visor

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Bell super doesn’t fit as it is too round for my long narrow head otherwise they are solid. I have one for my 4yo for the face protection.
    Anyone tried on a leatt helmet? I can get a good price on one but don’t know if it will fit.

Longish/oval head, I like my Troy Lee A1/A2. You can find them with Mips under $100

I have an XL Giro atlas cuz I have a big head so its hard to find a fit

the LBS had an XL Bell Sixxer that fit really well and it has Mips
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ordered a Kali Maya to try. Seems like a good value and reviews say it fits pretty oval. Going to see if I can get a crash replacement discount from giro as I could use a new commuter helmet too.

New Fox SpeedFrame is really nice. I think the MIPS version is only like $130 and it got good safety scores. Visor is functional, and it breathes great. I also had the Spec Ambush MIPS which is similar, but the overall quality of the Fox is better, and the pads absorb more sweat.

Ya speedframe is nice. Im liking it. I still have my tld a1 in rotation too. Also very comfy. A1 has thicker plush padding and less vents and is hotter. A2 id imagine would fix that. Speedframe or a2 are good choices if they fit

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Speedframe mips non pro is sold out in not small. Would prefer not to spend $150+ for an a2 or speedframe pro.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Speedframe mips non pro is sold out in not small. Would prefer not to spend $150+ for an a2 or speedframe pro.
    I cant recommend anything else. The tld helmet line as a whole in particular but i like the speedframe better than fox dh helmets. I think both the fox proframe and the tld stage are too light for intended usage. In that segment i'd stray and try the leatt dbx 4.0. I think fox and tld the best quality but i am leatt curious, maybe look there. Both fox/tld clothes last a long time and their gloves have the oj fit and dont bunch up. Im hesitant to stray. I have a fox and tld online account so i get the emails and snap up deals occasionally so theyre cheap. They do have labour day deals on now but i guess not your size atm. I just got the tld labour deal package in one day! I forgot theyre just in kamloops. 2 poly/cotton t's, pullover hoody and free hat for 75cad with free shipping. Stoked. I like the cotton poly better than poly jerseys.
    Maybe make an account and you'll get an initial code. Leatt may be worth a check too. Theyve been pushing hard. Quality looking stuff

TLD A1 MIPS fits my giant oval head quite well.

Troy lee a1 is sold out in large everywhere might try an a2. Also looking at a laser impala as it is a Virginia tech 5 star for $140. The Kali maya is only 3* so that might go back.

Helmet advice

A1/A2 fit quite differently, if one fits the other will most likely be uncomfortable.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Thats good to know. My A1 is the most comfy helmet ive owned, so i was considering the A2 with more vents. Speedframe is comfy just not quite as plush as the A1. I havent tried the thicker pads with the speedframe yet though

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Ordered a Kali Maya to try. Seems like a good value and reviews say it fits pretty oval.

The Maya’s just OK.

After a hundred days straight, the liners kinda trashed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	339167

Don’t fall for the MIPS bs (don’t make me cite it, but it is well and truly debunked - only marketing faff keeps it alive). E.g. Poc was an early adopter, then bailed.

Get it or don’t, but don’t let it rule anything out that fits. Oval melon here, and Poc Tectal Race works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Don’t fall for the MIPS bs (don’t make me cite it, but it is well and truly debunked - only marketing faff keeps it alive). E.g. Poc was an early adopter, then bailed.

Get it or don’t, but don’t let it rule anything out that fits. Oval melon here, and Poc Tectal Race works great for me.
    All new POC’s are mips bud

https://journal.pocsports.com/poc-an...helmet-safety/
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Oval head here, check out Leatt.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Well, poc calls it "spin" you see, which is totally different! Except mips didn't think so...

I just bought a giro montaro because it was available in my shop it has a solid gopro mount I can use for a light, and also I wanted a 2nd mtb-specific helmet after breaking one a month or so ago and then needing to go buy a new one the next day to ride.

Haven't even ridden in it yet but it seems nice enough. Fairly light and comfortable. The mips deal does slide around much more easily than what's in my giro road helmet (a cinder), I'm wondering how much I'm going to notice that while riding with a light on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Oval head here, check out Leatt.
    Yup. This oval head agrees.

Oval - second’ded on POC. But I’m a fukboi for poc shit so take that for what it’s worth. Having said that. I loved my tectal race lasted 4-5 years. But I was unimpressed when I reupped with the regular tectal, seemed a bit less refined and fit was off... just ordered a Axion to replace it. We shall see if that works.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Oval head here. Smith, Fox, TLD, & Leatt fit me well. Bell does not at all. POC's shape might be right but their sizing breakpoints don't work for me (their M/L won't even get over my head, their L/XL is so big I can't crank it down enough to stop it from moving).

Large, oval head. I'm really happy with my Smith Forefront2. This is my second Forefront and with the BOA fit, it fits me well. Not too hot (I ride in 90+ heat, often) and MIPS.

I've got a Scott Vivo, super happy with it.

Giro helmet ?

So my head measures at 59 Cm I got a zone helmet in medium and large which one should I go with the med fits rather snug with no adjustment and the large I need to crank all the way and its comfortable and snug I do usually were a hood underneath