Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Treadmills - Complete Waste of Money?

Wife is advocating for a treadmill but from the reviews I’ve read they seem to be hit or miss. Local shop only sells True which have a long warranty, the shop has been around for a long time and has service teams, however, there aren’t many reviews online.

The online stuff like Nordictrack, Sole seem to be the higher rated brands but are hit and miss on reviews, especially if you need customer service.

Long-term reviews are non-existent. Any input would be appreciated.

They are only a waste of money if the airplane doesn't take off.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I suspect that treadmill warranties are rarely the problem because people end up just hanging clothes over them. If someone can't motivate themselves to run outside, I think it's going to be a hard sell to run inside.

I have a Sole elliptical and use it 3-4 times a week.

It’s a life saver. I fucking hate running.

Had one issue and the warranty covered it, guy even came out to repair. Had another issue after warranty and was sent a free replacement part and just did it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I had one, bought from ? Dick's? Probably 10 or 12 years ago. It got used a lot - my wife ran almost every day on it and I used it for "cool down" walks after I lifted weights in my home gym - six days a week. It just recently crapped out - I think the motor is still OK but the computer/display is fucked up, so its not working.

But yeah, it worked great for over a decade, with daily use. Just some ~$800, consumer-grade crap from Dick's. Looking for a new one as we speak as well - but I'm thinking maybe find a "used" one - like Mr Brody said - that someone bought, used once, and has since been used as a clothes hanger.

If you're reasonably fit and healthy and have access to somewhere where you can hike, run, ski, etc there's no point in a treadmill. But since back problems keep me from running, I have found walking on a treadmill set at a steep incline is a good substitute. I did it a lot in the 3 months between my heart surgery and being allowed to ski. The bells and whistles turn what would be an intolerably boring workout into a barely tolerable one, as I can monitor my heart rate, mileage, calories burned, etc. and see if I'm making progress. I use the one at the Truckee Rec Center (pre covid)--hard to beat 30 bucks a month and only for the months when I can't get my exercise outdoors. Owning one would make it more convenient to use of course. If you use a gym only for the treadmill than owning one is certainly cost effective compared to most gyms.

Consumer reports lists these as the top rated, in descending order (they didn't have any long term reliability data, and I don't know how current the models are; the review was undated.): Peloton Tread, Sole tt8, Precor TRM 243, Sorts Art T615, True M30, Sole F80 (a best buy), Bowflex BXT 116, Nordic Track Commercial 2450, Bowflex BXT T216, Nordic Track C1650 (a best buy), Proform smart pro 2000, Spirit Fitness XT 1485, Nautilus t616, Sole f63 (the last 2 are considered budget models--under 1K)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    They are only a waste of money if the airplane doesn't take off.
    But what if I don't want to lose my plane if there's a windstorm? Tie it down like some kind of animal?

I think not!

There is a solid rule for things like this. Ask the wife. Can you have sex on it? Do you want to?. If the answer is no. It does not belong in your house

Buy used.
    Then when you sell it it’s not too painful
    . . .

We had/have a Proform 500 that we got used for free and it was nearly flawless for 5 or 6 years. Recently it started slipping and the belt is pretty worn but after both daughters and my wife using it 3-5 times a week each I'm not surprised. We are trying to decide whether we get something basic similar to what we had or jump in with both feet and get a nice smart one. I just saw today that Peloton will be dropping the price on their current one to something like $1900 soon but I bet you're stuck having to subscribe to their app. A couple of them only work with their own app but they want one that will work with the same as the bike smart trainer so we're still looking.

COVID hit and my wife wanted a treadmill. I tried everything to talk her out of it........I lost. I told her it would just sit in our basement collecting dust. She did her research and picked the Nordic track with automatic incline and shit and you can hike/run all over the world with people. Here we are 6 months into it and the fucking thing has been used maybe 5 times. I would sell it to you if I could. Wait should I be posting in that thread about I love my wife but...........

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    COVID hit and my wife wanted a treadmill. I tried everything to talk her out of it........I lost. I told her it would just sit in our basement collecting dust. She did her research and picked the Nordic track with automatic incline and shit and you can hike/run all over the world with people. Here we are 6 months into it and the fucking thing has been used maybe 5 times. I would sell it to you if I could. Wait should I be posting in that thread about I love my wife but...........
    Ha! We have an exercise bike in the basement that my wonderful, caring better half brought home several years ago. After 6yrs, it has maybe 100km on it. She wants a new mtn bike (and does need one, her old one makes my 2008 enduro look modern), but then I remind her of the equipment downstairs, with a smile of course.

Why is it more convenient to walk to a treadmill and walk on that than it is to just keep walking? Or run, whatever. I just don't really get treadmills. Just for the record.

I have had a Proform for 8 years and love it. I work at home; in any weather, I can crack off 3 miles on my lunch break. YouTube on the iPad, headphones, and off I go. But it does take dedication.

Pre-covid I bought a nice high end used one from someone that was moving and wanted it gone for $300. Damn thing weight 300 lbs or so. I'm happy with it for the $$. Used it for a walking desk this winter, run on it once in awhile.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Why is it more convenient to walk to a treadmill and walk on that than it is to just keep walking? Or run, whatever. I just don't really get treadmills. Just for the record.
    marathon runner on/off for about 15 years now and I of course prefer to run outdoors....but the treadmill has its place. I now have a Life Fitness model that’s found in gyms....it has held up for 1,000’s of miles....

My main reasons for having a treadmill are.....
    -can crank out mileage while watching TV
    -adjust/increase speed for interval training
    -control water intake on long days.

My weekly routine is:
    5 miles a day/interval training x 5 days a week (Saturday off)
    Long run (marathon pace) on Sundays.....this Sunday is 16 miles.
    (I build a mile each Sunday until I get to 26 miles...).

This program takes me to ski season...then I shut it all down and ski.

I use them at the gym,

for the drop-in fee I can use the weights/ take a core class/ run for 30 or 40 minutes on the tread mill and somebody else fixes it when it breaks.

Tread mill is ideal way to get some cardio when its fucking cold and there is snow/ice on the ground you don't want to slip on
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

mrs tgapp is a die-hard treadmill runner.

she hikes 3x a week, lifts weights, and runs on the treadmill 2-3x a week on top of that.

we got a sole f64 used for $300, with a full replacement motor and PCB included. i would follow the advice of others on the thread and buy used, definitely the way to go. our treadmill was a clothes rack in it's earlier life, but now it gets put to good use.

she absolutely love the thing. i tolerate it because of how big it is, but also because i know how tolerant she is of my 6+ pairs of skis.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hills. On a treadmill they only go up. Outdoors you waste half the distance going down. ; - )

The weather isn't always agreeable for going out for a walk. There's also places, like this, with no streetlights so walking after 4 is sketchy for a few months each year which means no walking after school or work. Then there's the icy months where walking up and down the hills is not necessarily wise if you like your ankles, etc.

They're great if you use them, but absolutely buy used. Got a 1600 dollar sole for 500 a few years back. It only collects dust half the time, and was a lifesaver during early kid era.

Personally I loved having one for Montucky winters. We had a fancy Norditrack unit that would hit different inclines mid-work out for some great cross training.

At first it felt like being a hamster in a wheel and was pretty boring, BUT the game changer was when I put a TV with a Roku in front of it. Next thing you know, I accidentally ran for like 2 hours as I watched a full movie or marathoned a few episodes of a good show back to back. You won't even notice you're running after a while. Ultimate way to binge some TV while not feeling like too much of a couch potato. I actually ended up looking forward to running on the treadmill just so I could sneak in whatever TV I wanted to without the spousal unit giving me grief. Haha.

I'd still have it if it didn't suck to move so much. Those bastards are HEAVY and just super awkward to move!!! Once assembled, they're no fun to take out of a basement. After move #3, it finally had enough and the shell broke on me so I disassembled it piece by piece chunked it in the trash. That motor must've weighed like a hundred pounds. I'll buy another though when I have a home with enough spare room to put one in without being cluttery. I miss having a basement for just that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    They're great if you use them, but absolutely buy used. Got a 1600 dollar sole for 500 a few years back.
    Quite true. Or a display unit too. Ours was a Sears (RIP) demo unit that was ALSO a return. Got a steal on it, and they even delivered and set up for us. Fully warrantied. Saved at least a grand.

Let’s get real. Any device to keep our wife’s asses looking good is a smart investment.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums