Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!

Selling a vehicle on Craigslist, advice, good practices...?

I have an old PU truck I'm about to list for sale. On Craigslist. It's worth a few thou.

What are the current ways to do this and not get scammed?

Do I insist on all cash, and see the cash being withdrawn from a bank teller?

One person -- he's a bank branch manager --- told me 'the only way I'd take a check is if I held the title for seven days while the check cleared.' Which at first sounded extreme but as he explained it will vet out the scammers, and the buyer can and you should encourage him/her to contact LE after seven days if you as the seller do not make good. He said this includes a check of any kind, certified, cashiers, money order, etc. Coming from a retail banking guy this makes sense.

CL is the best local/regional medium for doing this, second is www.thepapershop.com:

I already read through this thread: PSA: Craigslist is a cesspool of scammers

Last edited by Nobody Famous; 09-04-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

I bought a trailer from Craigslist several years ago and the seller went to my bank with me, watched me get a certified check, and then deposited it in his account on the spot (we happened to have accounts at the same bank) and signed over the title in the bank lobby. If you post up front that you want to do something like that it will definitely keep out the scammers.

But good luck wading through the BS. I posted a car on Craigslist and had people calling me to pick them up so they could do a test drive. Eventually sold it to a friend for a discount and I think we were both happy with the transaction.

Certified check from a known local bank (that you then can either visit or call and verify may work also and complete the deal in the lobby- if open during this Covid 19), otherwise cash sale and the title is signed over when the cash is exchanged. If you suspect counterfeit, then have him meet at your bank and do the deal as you say with the money can be verified as acceptable with various checks a bank would do on suspicious currency.

I've bought and sold 25+ cars over the last 10 years...

Cash only in my book. No cash, no title.

Have all the documents ready to go, title, 2x copies of the bill of sale, 2x copies release of liability/interest, 2x copies of any documents to report the sale to your state.

Be sure to report the sale if possible. I had a guy buy a jeep from me and didn't transfer the title. He started racking up parking tickets and I got sent the bill. Having that documentation that I sold the vehicle on x date made things easy.

Don't make post sale promises you can't keep.

Don't lie.

Don't blather on about the entire history of the truck either. Be factual about it, but no one really cares about how the dealer screwed you in 2007.

Be early to any appointments to show the truck, especially if the person came from a long distance.

Don't warm the truck up before meeting the buyer if possible. I want to see a cold start.

I have sold 15 -20 trucks on craigslist. Under $5k people fight over garbage. If you have nice stuff and want a decent price it won't happen, even if you write a witty ad my scout just sits there.
    I may try hemmings or pirate 4x4 soon but don't want to deal with shipping at all. I might ship if I got a wire though. Thoughts?

1977 International Harvester / IH Scout II

This scout will scare old people.
    It will make children run.
    Women will scream to go for a ride in it.
    It will make your brother in law jealous.
    It will make Jeep Rubicon owners tell you “nice Bronco.”
    FJ40 guys will tell you they like the motor.
    Doctors in Land Rover Defender 90’s will wonder what it is.
    The Classic Scout guys will tell you “I wish I had that kind of money”
    It’s not a Corvette or Porsche so don’t expect it to drive like one. It is spongy and leans in the turns. Lower it if you want but the wheel travel is crazy long.

I have had this Scout since 2000, if you want to flip it to somebody else for more money just don’t tell me.
    If you are successful enough to give me $35k in cash for it, send me an email titled “I’m awesome” and you can have it. We will not talk about the one you used to have and you may not ask me why there isn’t a radio.

Edelbrock aluminum 350
    Off road carb so even an EMP won’t stop it.
    T727 Transmission
    Atlas II transfer case
    Klune V underdrive
    Art Carr shifter
    1450 U joints
    Dynatrac dana 60’s 1.5” 35 spline shafts
    ARB air lockers front and rear
    AC air compressor
    5 gallon air tank
    Custom bumpers and sliders
    Alcoa rims
    Champion bead locks
    TSL SS 37” tires
    Coil overs front and rear
    Front 3 link
    Rear 4 link
    The horn works
    It doesn’t have air bags but really, how often do you use those?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	craigslist.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	669.5 KB 
ID:	339035

Do folks use on-line email transfers, I'm getting and giving a whole of money by email nowdays ?

I have always ask for cash or certifyed bank check
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Travelers checks work well

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

If its just a few thousand cash only should be expected. In the 10's of thousands I'd expect a cashier check done in person with buyer at their bank.

Craigslist is still a good place to sell despite the BS. Ignore anyone who says will you take $__ (lowball) for cash today or really anyone who makes an offer without seeing the vehicle. A serious buyer will ask to meet to check it out in person and do a test drive and may have cash on them depending on price range. I don't spend much time responding, I put the onus on people who contact me to demonstrate they are serious.

If you have any street level intelect you'll be able to figure out the scammers and bull shitters real quick. I usually list text only and then filter them down to to actual phone calls. A few questions on the phone will let you figure out if they are serious about buying or just want to waste your time. I would follow what "the artist" listed to a T and see what happens. If it doesn't work out you only lose $5...... It use to be fucking expensive trying to sell used anything when you ran classified ads in the local paper pre Craigslist.

I wonder if you can meet the buyer at their bank and have the teller wire the money into your account with no possible claw back? Seems like the way to go if it is to pricey for cash. I am pretty sure once money is wired into your account is isn't coming out by their shady BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Selling my 40 today. Had the guy come look at it already. He knows more about 40s than me so when he started asking questions, I told him to spend as much time with it as he wanted because it's going as is and I don't have all the answers. He wanted to do a cashier's check and I said I would be happy to meet him at his bank with title and he can hand me cash.

I'll check back after a couple hours if it doesn't go well.

Just sold an Outback for ~10k. Had them bring a cashier's check from the CU, met them at our CU. They gave us the check, we signed all the title transfer paperwork, and the CU handled the rest. We had a bit left on our loan, so the bank held the title. If I had the title, I would meet them at their bank, get a cashier's check from the teller and walk away without any worries. Cash works, too for just a couple of k. The odds of getting counterfeit 20s is so low as to not really be a worry for me. Especially if you don't get a weird vibe off the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Selling my 40 today. Had the guy come look at it already. He knows more about 40s than me so when he started asking questions, I told him to spend as much time with it as he wanted because it's going as is and I don't have all the answers. He wanted to do a cashier's check and I said I would be happy to meet him at his bank with title and he can hand me cash.

If it's from the bank, you can get a cashier's check too. Unlike a personal check it's guaranteed funds, so no need to worry about it clearing. Unless you want the cash, then carry on.

I like to meet buyers at neutral sites. I would hate “lookers” coming to my place to scout out shit to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    I like to meet buyers at neutral sites. I would hate “lookers” coming to my place to scout out shit to steal.
    Many police departments allow you to do craigslist sales in their parking lots. Safe for everybody, and scammers are unlikely to agree to meet there.

Good info here. Selling a 11' Outback soon. Thanks.

For small transactions I'll do the PD parking lot, for a car I have them meet me at my bank with cash. I'm not going to have someone come to the house to look for things to steal and I won't meet somewhere that someone can roll me for the cash after I sign over the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Just sold an Outback for ~10k.
    Year/mileage? Thinking of selling our '13.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Year/mileage? Thinking of selling our '13.
    It was a 14 with about 90k. Probably could have gotten 13 for it if we had waited a couple months for the used car market to rebound, but were in a time crunch.

As a seller, I've done cashier's checks and green cash with strangers, paypal/venmo with friends. As a buyer, I've done cash, paypal, venmo, zelle, and cashier's checks.

My best advice as a seller, meet at your local bank/credit union branch. If it's a check or a wire, they take care of it. If it's some kind of online transfer, you can probably do a notarized or otherwise official bill of sale. If it's cash, they can make sure it's not fake and count it really quick and deposit asap. Parking lots should have good camera coverage, good as both a seller and buyer. Only real downside is if someone wants to see a cold start, which may take some advance planning.

Not sure how widespread this is, but my bank only has drive through service. No one is allowed inside. Although I think you might be able to make an appointment if there’s something you can’t handle that way.

Have done lots of these.

Always cash.

Some people are bored, so they write a vague ad and bleed time and effort answering everyone’s questions and having 45 tire kickers come to the house.
    My approach is to be very detailed, including putting a video on youtube, all the possible problems, etc...and have one or two people to the house who really want to buy something.

Sold 2 cars on CL, one 3k cash, one 10k cashier's check. Drug stores sell counterfeit pens, so grab one of those and know what else to look for on 100's. The color changing ink and watermarks are easy to see at a glance, and 3 counterfeit verifications per bill is more than enough.

Meet in a parking lot. If they want to test drive it, get a photo of their ID and insurance. If they bite, try to close the deal at the bank where you can watch them get the check and you can sign the title over in the lobby (easier before covid).

If you can have a big buddy hang around, that's a plus.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post

He found a branch of his bank 2 mi from my house. I showed up with keys and title and he handed me cash. He then came and got his car and drove off. Worked well.

He did ask me to under report the sell amount for taxes. Because he's a recent CA transplant to ID, I didn't. Told him they are watching that closely now. Not sure if they are or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    If it's from the bank, you can get a cashier's check too. Unlike a personal check it's guaranteed funds, so no need to worry about it clearing. Unless you want the cash, then carry on.
    They can actually cancel cashiers check and you are screwed. Wiring funds or cash is king

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)