Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Pretty stoked. My Justis just showed up. Rocker is deep compared to the other black crows I have. It’s stuff and I can’t wait to rip them.

I also found these in northern VT on CL. No idea who’s they are but they are a great deal.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/spo/d...201065076.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    My 82 Brahma Blems showed up. They feel beefy. I think they'll slay the ice and keep me safe from myself.
    Bump - how are you (and muted) liking those Brahmas? Looking for a groomer and bump ski for days it hasn't snowed in a while. I have race stock SLs but those are kind of a one trick pony (fun though). Brahma 82s are cheap and seem to fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Bump - how are you (and muted) liking those Brahmas? Looking for a groomer and bump ski for days it hasn't snowed in a while. I have race stock SLs but those are kind of a one trick pony (fun though). Brahma 82s are cheap and seem to fit the bill.
    I skied them today until the snow softened. Haven't been put west this year so just using the 82's as a weekend warrior daily here in the midwest. Much more demanding than my old OG Brahma 88's. They love some speed and enough slope to put some power through them. Good for slow turns on steeps or fast turns on cord. They kind of fall down for me in between or in the flats so I think they are a bit bipolar...ski me fast and hard or slow and whip me around like you mean it. They need to be driven with some forward pressure to work for me. Super poppy if you're able to put them to work.

For the price they are a score. I think a lot of people would be better served with a 76 under full camber pseudo race ski like the Firebird HRC depending on how you ski. My skiing is undisciplined and always changing up turn to turn and playing with the terrain and I like to b able to wash on the steeps so they suit me fine...I like them but don't love em like I do my old beater 88's which have a massive sweet spot but feel like they have no camber left when you hit ice - but with the 88's you never 'have' to go back to the car to change skis. My 88"s are in no way shape or form up to the task of holding an edge on hard snow like the 82's (which do well and feel like they have way more effective edge). I need to upgrade my 88's a few gens for sure.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 03-07-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Been curious about the Stöckli Laser AX, no race plate.

A couple old timers around here have them and I see them railing carves and zippering bumps.

Quite intriguing.

I'm a huge fan of skiing the Women's FIS GS ski around. They're 188cm 30m ski that are pretty mellow. Definitely need some space and speed to get them going, but I've found them to be a fun free ski. I really feel like a lot of guys could handle the ski as it's not too burly. The Men's FIS ski is also pretty fun, but definitely needs to be pushed harder.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeskiTrenchCarver View Post
    I'm a huge fan of skiing the Women's FIS GS ski around. They're 188cm 30m ski that are pretty mellow. Definitely need some space and speed to get them going, but I've found them to be a fun free ski. I really feel like a lot of guys could handle the ski as it's not too burly. The Men's FIS ski is also pretty fun, but definitely needs to be pushed harder.
    +1, love free-skiing 188/30's. Been on them for 6+ years. If they have a speed limit it is higher than mine. Not much fun on busy slopes.

Me: Late 50's, bad knee and about 170lbs fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    +1, love free-skiing 188/30's. Been on them for 6+ years. If they have a speed limit it is higher than mine. Not much fun on busy slopes.

Me: Late 50's, bad knee and about 170lbs fwiw.
    Yeah I've found that outside of a GS course I can't really over-ski the 188's. You can lay them over and trust the ski. I actually found them to be pretty fun on really soft groomers too. The men's ski might be a good option for anyone that's either really strong or big. I'm a 170lb recent ex-racer and found the 188's to be enough, and I haven't talked to anybody that said they're too much ski.

I skied them today until the snow softened. Haven't been put west this year so just using the 82's as a weekend warrior daily here in the midwest. Much more demanding than my old OG Brahma 88's. They love some speed and enough slope to put some power through them. Good for slow turns on steeps or fast turns on cord. They kind of fall down for me in between or in the flats so I think they are a bit bipolar...ski me fast and hard or slow and whip me around like you mean it. They need to be driven with some forward pressure to work for me. Super poppy if you're able to put them to work.

For the price they are a score. I think a lot of people would be better served with a 76 under full camber pseudo race ski like the Firebird HRC depending on how you ski. My skiing is undisciplined and always changing up turn to turn and playing with the terrain and I like to b able to wash on the steeps so they suit me fine...I like them but don't love em like I do my old beater 88's which have a massive sweet spot but feel like they have no camber left when you hit ice - but with the 88's you never 'have' to go back to the car to change skis. My 88"s are in no way shape or form up to the task of holding an edge on hard snow like the 82's (which do well and feel like they have way more effective edge). I need to upgrade my 88's a few gens for sure.
    Interesting. I picked up some 82s blems to replace a pair of 88s strictly for groomer duty.

Need Groomer Skis

Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    Been curious about the Stöckli Laser AX, no race plate.

A couple old timers around here have them and I see them railing carves and zippering bumps.

Quite intriguing.
    Never been on the AX, but demoed the Laser GS for a few days and they are miles better on groomers that Brahma 88s or Salomon X-Drive 8.8s. Wish I could find a pair for a reasonable price—can’t justify anywhere near list given I wouldn’t use them all that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Never been on the AX, but demoed the Laser GS for a few days and they are miles better on groomers that Brahma 88s or Salomon X-Drive 8.8s. Wish I could find a pair for a reasonable price—can’t justify anywhere near list given I wouldn’t use them all that often.
    I have a pair of Laser GS in a 180 I'm looking to sell, they were skied probably less than 20 days. let me know if your interested.

The 82 seems pretty similar in stiffness and feel to me to the 88s. I actually own 4 pairs of different Brahmas, wife has 2.

2019 180cm 88(about to be retired, sidewall blowing out camber is just about gone maybe 200 days?)
    2020 187cm 82
    2020, 180cm 82
    2021 183cm Brahma 88(only skied a day)

I own masters and real deal GS ski, and SL skis and quite frankly the Brahma 82 seems to be a great option for hard snow for people who dont like carvers(or race skis), its far better in bumps and skied out trees than any carver could ever hope to be, and better on groomers than anything short of race ski especially the 187cm. With enough pitch the 187cm does a really nice dynamic short turn as well. The 187cm can feel long in certain styles of bumps and certain tree but in big bumps its decent. The 180cm in either(actually measure like 178cm) never feel too long in anything but can feel slightly short on some chopped groomers. The 183 88 ....I dont have enough time on it to really tell.

Every single one of them came railed though and can feel pretty demanding until they are flattened. I tune the 82 to a .75 /3 and I tune the 88 to a 1/3. I run Pivot 18s on all of them.
    Last edited by Bushwacka; 03-11-2021 at 06:26 AM.

Hmmm...

Sounds good. Will send em to through the machine before next season.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Seems as good as any place for this:

What ski is <95. Mm but closer to high 80s or 90 the better, available in a 183-89, good for my very amateur fucking around in the park and moguls - think similar to the old 184 Volkl Karma , and available to purchase new (ie still being made)….

Looking to add a screw around park/mogul/groomer stick
    Others in the quiver
    102 mantra
    109 automatic - hopefully soon replaced with the 110 BC
    Salomon blank
    Bodacious
    Pon2oon

Skis I didn’t like the first couple years of the newer enforcer 100, armada 95 ti ski (can’t even remember the name)
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Fischer Ranger 94FR could work

I shouldn't buy new skis but have been thinking about something for this spot as well, even though it wouldn't get used much.

I was researching the volkl kanjo 84 and it's intriguing. Shares a lot of design characteristics of bigger skis I like, but narrow and very light at under 1600g for the 175.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    A late reply but I regret buying those skis and was one of the dumbest ski purchases I've ever done. There's without a doubt a ripping groomer ski out there I'm sure I'd like, somewhere, but I'm not going to blindly purchase another one without demo-ing it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    The 82 seems pretty similar in stiffness and feel to me to the 88s. I actually own 4 pairs of different Brahmas, wife has 2.

2019 180cm 88(about to be retired, sidewall blowing out camber is just about gone maybe 200 days?)
    2020 187cm 82
    2020, 180cm 82
    2021 183cm Brahma 88(only skied a day)

I own masters and real deal GS ski, and SL skis and quite frankly the Brahma 82 seems to be a great option for hard snow for people who dont like carvers(or race skis), its far better in bumps and skied out trees than any carver could ever hope to be, and better on groomers than anything short of race ski especially the 187cm. With enough pitch the 187cm does a really nice dynamic short turn as well. The 187cm can feel long in certain styles of bumps and certain tree but in big bumps its decent. The 180cm in either(actually measure like 178cm) never feel too long in anything but can feel slightly short on some chopped groomers. The 183 88 ....I dont have enough time on it to really tell.

Every single one of them came railed though and can feel pretty demanding until they are flattened. I tune the 82 to a .75 /3 and I tune the 88 to a 1/3. I run Pivot 18s on all of them.
    I had them ground, kept them at 1 2 base. Same complaints.

Oh well. Like I said I can get them to work and as long as you bend them they work well. Just less versatile and take more focus than they should for what they are and if the snow gets wierd I have to go change them out to my much loved OG Brahmas because they get spooky.
    Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    A late reply but I regret buying those skis and was one of the dumbest ski purchases I've ever done. There's without a doubt a ripping groomer ski out there I'm sure I'd like, somewhere, but I'm not going to blindly purchase another one without demo-ing it first.
    Your silence spoke volumes.

I wish they were more like the old Latigo. They were very intuitive and easy to ski, even if a bit unspectacular.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Seems as good as any place for this:

What ski is <95. Mm but closer to high 80s or 90 the better, available in a 183-89, good for my very amateur fucking around in the park and moguls - think similar to the old 184 Volkl Karma , and available to purchase new (ie still being made)….

Looking to add a screw around park/mogul/groomer stick
    Others in the quiver
    102 mantra
    109 automatic - hopefully soon replaced with the 110 BC
    Salomon blank
    Bodacious
    Pon2oon

Skis I didn’t like the first couple years of the newer enforcer 100, armada 95 ti ski (can’t even remember the name)
    Check out the Rossi Experience line. I find them to be rippers. Random look at the Rossi site and the 86 comes in a 185. Bonus is that you can find these to rent at most big hills.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I'm selling a Rossi Experience 100 in 182 for $100 if you want to go wider. Drilled once, bases in great condition. not exactly the twin-tip park ski you're looking for but thought I'd offer. DM for pics.
    Last edited by CirqueScaler; 12-22-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Take a look at the Elan Wingman series for groomer days. Even the Ripstick 88 if you want something that is super-versatile.

Also - I have some barely used Nordica Soul Riders (one set of holes for 22 Designs) in 185cm - both the 87 and 97 I'll probably be parting with. Twin tips in the vein of the Volkl's from about 10 or so years ago.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Praxis MVP 94?

I had them ground, kept them at 1 2 base. Same complaints.

Oh well. Like I said I can get them to work and as long as you bend them they work well. Just less versatile and take more focus than they should for what they are and if the snow gets wierd I have to go change them out to my much loved OG Brahmas because they get spooky.

I wish they were more like the old Latigo. They were very intuitive and easy to ski, even if a bit unspectacular.
    Mmmmkay. Sorry but I need to clarify this after skiing the Brahma 82 today bell to bell on firm but warm wet snow on a real hill. Snow was pretty variable, from soft ice to dirt to soft granular and they ripped all of it and weren't at all a lot of work or spooky. The grind helped tremendously. The skis lost almost all of their annoying characteristics and the sweet spot expanded tremendously. I think first day out after the grind they might have just needed a touch more detuning and more hill. I did that and Chestnut opened up some goodies. It was the first time I have skied them where getting thrown into the backseat didn't remind me my knee doctors name is Fabiano and the first time I didn't feel like I had to baby them thru turns. Just fun and poppy.

Anyway, now that they are dialed I gotta say. Good ski. Happy with them. Would recommend but maybe demo first and get a grind right away (Muted are you reading?).

Much more ski than the Old Latigo but in a good way.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Nevermind.

See the Blizzard thread
    Last edited by sf; 12-26-2021 at 01:37 PM.

I'm reviving this thread to get the collective input on what to use as a hard charging ski for spring groomers and winter boilerplate, and because-
    1) OP is truly hilarious (see page 1)
    2) I spent 10 days last may at Squallywood on my 116 waist DD's - they worked, but not great.
    3) I don't know shit about this kind of ski in the modern era (my last GS skis were ca. 1990 KS GS Electras and I own 4 pair of skis over 115mm)
    4) I'm to old to go off piste and bounce off rocks unless there are freshies under them to keep me 'safe'

I'm a 6'4" 230# ex racer boy who got too high working at Alta in the 90's and wandered into the BC to tele for the next 30 years. I'm back to locking my heels most of the time, but don't know shit about hard snow skis.

school this maggot
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

Heritage Lab R99 Comp or R87 Comp for ze ice.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums