Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    The 30M GS stick is not that ski, it has almost no slarve in it's DNA. It demands forward pressure and wants to be skied from the tip, has almost no tail release... the 30 and 35M GS skis are not all that fun vs. the older 23 and 27 M ones in the 183-193cm...
    ^^^^^^Needs to be said. The overall experience went from “exhilarating” to “exhausting” when they bumped up from the >27m skis. 99.99% of people looking for a GS ski would be much happier with a master’s GS. Same construction, more sidecut (~23-27m), wider waist widths (~70mm), still holds an edge like anything. The Rossi M23 is a fucking machine, with the added benefit of not snapping your knees if you make a mistake. They don’t get dumped for $99, but there’s still deals on them if you look.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    ^^^^^^Needs to be said. The overall experience went from “exhilarating” to “exhausting” when they bumped up from the >27m skis.
    X3.

The 190cm 30m WC skis kick my butt. A 183cm or 186cm (Women's FIS GS) with a 27m radius (2013-2015-ish) certainly doesn't ski itself, but is still fun.

Masters/beer league with the tighter radius is big fun and not ass kicking

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

You mean like these?
    Name:  WC GS 93.jpg
Views: 1772
Size:  12.5 KB

2013 Men's WC GS 193 stiff build w/plates...

65mm underfoot, 27M rad.

I might lose the plates and ski them flat if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    This thread has me thinking about going back to the roots on a gs ski... my question is should I buy a groomer boot as well for the groomer ski set up or will the full tilts suffice? That gets me thinking about bindings too... should I run a kingpin, a jester, or do I need a dam groomer clamp set as well? Groomers are getting pricy.

Fuck me running... just found these butes

https://www.corbetts.com/2009-fische...s-m-skis-only/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Get a 12 tongue for your FTs. If your fit is good, that should be fine. Remember, many world cup racers used to ski that boot.

Putting touring bindings on a race ski is ridiculous. Don’t do that.

I have a quiver of groomer skis and a quiver of off piste skis. Groomer skiing is way more fun on specialized, well tuned skis.

I have a pair of 2017 Atomic Redster RS double deck 3.0 skis. 183cm / 24m gs skis (I think they market it as a Master's or skier-cross ski) that I'd sell for $200+ship with either x-16 VAR (din 8-16) or x-12 VAR (din 4-12) binders if someone wants to give them a go. This is a really fun size for free skiing or beer league racing.

I also have a pair of 2012 Atomic 201/33 gs skis that are fun for empty slopes but I don't ski them any more.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Don't do that. You won't be able to get those things bent into shape until they're all the way up on edge, and then you're just going to boot out without a plate. It's there for a reason.

Good thing you got a big hill; I put my old 222 DH boards on last year for shits and giggles, and by the time they came around i was in the parking lot. Those Fischers are going to be fun.

You mean like these?
    Name:  WC GS 93.jpg
Views: 1772
Size:  12.5 KB

2013 Men's WC GS 193 stiff build w/plates...

65mm underfoot, 27M rad.

You got it, keep the plates on...better leverage and prevents boot out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Some interesting 30m woman's GS ski vs shorter radius men's info.
    https://www.pugski.com/threads/men-s...nt-point.3358/
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 09-11-2020 at 09:20 AM.

If I took those plates off, I'd still stack beneath my clamps.

I just wouldn't have the mega longitudinal stiffness under the middle third. Kind of even out the flex and make them more versatile for me...

Just a thought.

^ Probably not your plates, but Fischer Curv plates allegedly increase flex in the middle of the ski, they have little rollers and wedges that drive the flex deeper.

If I took those plates off, I'd still stack beneath my clamps.

I just wouldn't have the mega longitudinal stiffness under the middle third. Kind of even out the flex and make them more versatile for me...

Just a thought.
    I picked up some old Salomon race skis last year, which came mounted with a floating Hangl plate which rattled and flopped side to side - basically the riser bit was worn out. I removed those plates and mounted some fixed non-race Salomon risers to get the binding height back. Worked fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

https://www.black-crows.com/us/en/p/...k-gold-vg.html

Found the groomer killers. Procured a 189.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't often recall another's gear needs, but when I can, it's always the red ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I find that the village is often underrated for it's groomed skiing. It doesn't have a ton of groomers but the handful are often A+.

A few go for miles, all have some real pitch, most are mega-wide, and downhill visibility is usually excellent.
    At any hour there is a groomer entering the direct sun corn cycle, assuming temps allow for that.
    If you show total control and some finesse turns, the speed wranglers tend to ignore you. Blind jumps and rollers are OK with spotters...

All key ingredients to top shelf groomer gs'ing.

And the snow, maybe some fresh cord with 2 inches of fresh with a trace of water for texture. And the entire run, top to bottom, side to side, is as smooth as a sheet of paper.
    It feels like crushed velvet. Elvis.
    Railing at mach, alone in the bubble, feeling nothing but the wind and the speed.

Then you hit the unseen bump and pull a Bode save, all outriggered, land it in a tuck and force that fucking arc.
    I got about 10 trams of that in me. Every day.
    Except for soft days.
    I think it's Gros Ventre that i try to hit on hardpack days, it's a blast. What else am I missing?

Guys, I'm thinking I may need to ditch my regular ski clothes for the impending groom-life I'm about to participate in. What do you guys wear? I'm inspired by the white onesie in this video, it reeks of class but doesn't say ex-racer:

I can't believe this only has 59 views.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I think it's Gros Ventre that i try to hit on hardpack days, it's a blast. What else am I missing?

Guys, I'm thinking I may need to ditch my regular ski clothes for the impending groom-life I'm about to participate in. What do you guys wear? I'm inspired by the white onesie in this video, it reeks of class but doesn't say ex-racer:

I can't believe this only has 59 views.
    Make that 60. I needed a laugh.

Scored nice pair for groomers, 186cm 26m radius.

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I’ve some minty racers in SG & GS if ya want - pm me.

Educate me on how an Experience 84 @15m radius is different than a race ski? I'd guess that the race ski is stiffer, but at 15r, isn't this similar to a slalom ski?

I ski the exp 100 as my daily driver. Love the way it skis, but would like more hold/less width for hard pack days. The 84 makes sense to me, unless I can overpower it too easily.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Night and day difference.

The race ski has a smaller sweet spot, an order of magnitude more grip, way more rebound and if you want it to skid your technique better be dialed.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Make that 60. I needed a laugh.
    77 now : ) tgr pushing there clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Educate me on how an Experience 84 @15m radius is different than a race ski? I'd guess that the race ski is stiffer, but at 15r, isn't this similar to a slalom ski?

I ski the exp 100 as my daily driver. Love the way it skis, but would like more hold/less width for hard pack days. The 84 makes sense to me, unless I can overpower it too easily.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Maybe think of a firm groomed slope like a track day at your local race track. The Experience 84 is like a Subaru Forester and the race ski is like a...race car. They'll let you on the track in the Subaru, and you can get around the track in it (until the brakes fade to nothing) and make it from start to the end and declare that driving on the track is okay but nothing to write home about. Now, get in a race car (with some driving skill) and there is no way you'd wonder if they are basically the same.

Race skis (and race cars) demand the full attention of the operator, work better the harder you push them, reward skill, punish mistakes, etc.

Makes sense...i should rent some experience 84 to see if they'd be fun or not.

I'm a former racer, but now at 55yrs young, not sure if I want a full fledged race ski anymore. Favorite ski in my 20s was a pair of race stock Atomic hv3sl, I think in a 203. You had to be on your game with those, but they sure were fun.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

That said, anything in the mid 80's and some camber and two layers of metal will be a lot of fun on groomers. And the speed limit will still be really high for recreational skiing.

As a bonus they'll be useful off the groomers too.

As for the 84, I think you'll find it a bit soft. The 88 will be better pretty much everywhere if you're skiing fast.

My 82 Brahma Blems showed up. They feel beefy. I think they'll slay the ice and keep me safe from myself.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post

I'm a former racer, but now at 55yrs young, not sure if I want a full fledged race ski anymore. Favorite ski in my 20s was a pair of race stock Atomic hv3sl, I think in a 203. You had to be on your game with those, but they sure were fun.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Those old slalom skis probably had a 50+ meter radius. I'm a couple years older than you and came up when all good skis were race skis. People went from beginner skis to race skis back in the day. Now there are a lot more options. Race skis still require your full time attention but can do so much more.

I know it is a pain in the ass but try to demo on-hill at a place that will let you swap out as many times as you want and take a run or two on several "classes" of skis ignoring brands, just get a feel for what types are out there. Cole Sport at Deer Valley used to do this with a really large selection. Go on a weekday by yourself. Start with "frontside" skis like the E84 you are looking at. If you can, try a more groomer-carver ski (look for a squared off tail) like a Head Titan, Rally, or Supershape, an MX83, a Liberty V76, or Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti. Then try a more versatile (rounded off tail) frontsider like Brahma 82, Kanjo 84, or Experience 84 or a multitude of others.

Then try Non-FIS race skis like Rossi Hero Elite ST Ti /Hero Elite LT Ti, Atomic S9/G9, Volkl Racetigers, Head i.SL or i.speed, all the big manufactures have them.

Then, if they have them, try a pair of real 165 FIS slaloms and a GS ski with 24-30m radius. It might cost you almost as much as buying a used pair of race skis but by the end of the day, you'll know.

edit: Actually just remembered, if you can go to Deer Valley, Rossignol has a yurt with free demos over by the Empire lodge. You can try out a number of front side oriented skis there. I've tried a couple skis there and both had questionable tunes but it is free. It will still cost the price of a lift ticket but the groomers are nice. Again, go alone on a weekday.