Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

I say it's like standing in a phone booth, the world whizzing by. Fast skis take you there.
    Now, If this aint ski poetry, nuthin is. Well put sir!

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Dunno ... can never have enough K2 skis...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I will say that super g’ing around the bird on the Aurelian ducroz 192’s is a life changing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yes. I agree with this 100%

Need Groomer Skis

This thread has me thinking about going back to the roots on a gs ski... my question is should I buy a groomer boot as well for the groomer ski set up or will the full tilts suffice? That gets me thinking about bindings too... should I run a kingpin, a jester, or do I need a dam groomer clamp set as well? Groomers are getting pricy.

Fuck me running... just found these butes

https://www.corbetts.com/2009-fische...s-m-skis-only/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^
    Depends on your skill level. And size.

Clamps need to be strong, but unless you weigh a lot or have a race pedigree, any top shelf between 7-16 din should do.
    Doesn't need to be new. Lotsa bomber binders around here for cheap.

You don't want it to rattle off. You do want it to pop off though, when it gets jacked.

You won't need a stiffer boot until you do. When the boot stiffness is not up to the speed and G's, you'll know.

Race skis always seem to be on sale. But dang, those prices are screaming.

I got the white 2013's from CM the other day.

Psyche!!!

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    This thread makes me want to buy a pair of ridiculous stiff 15M slalom skis.
    Stockli Laser SC in a 170. But you need to have dentist money to afford one.

Rossi made a 170 version of their consumer WC SL ski (the Radical) a while back. Should be good used deals on them.

Thanks everyone. Depending on price, I think I'm now committed to sparkle motion. If I get a GS ski it won't overlap the Mindbender so that justifies it. I can't think of any steep groomers at brighton or snowbasin so i don't think I need the longest stiffest GS ski if i can never get it up to speed. So 188 length-ish?

I've never raced, any advice? Is there any big difference in the past 5 years or so that a non-racer would even notice? I'm wondering if any recent GS ski will feel like a ferrari so I don't have to worry about which one to get.

Need Groomer Skis

lemme ask around the race folks I know - I’m sure there are skis to be had
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Skis.com website is showing 20 pairs of blem 180 Brahma 82's available and all other sizes with less inventory. Code Snowflake1 for an additional 10% off. Comes to 342 shipped plus tax. The pair I ordered was 362 with tax/free ship to Iowa.

Thanks for the thread muted. Got me thinking about my need for something skinnier than my OG Brahma 88's for hardpack front side. I've been debating something like the Firebird 76 HRC with full camber or similar, but I'm a playful undisciplined skier. So I think I'll dig the skinny Brahma for this price which is the best I have seen since they debuted last summer. I always liked getting on the Blizzard Quattro series before Blizzard neutered them and gave the goods to the Firebird line and these are said to ski pretty similar to the old Quattro. The 82 Brahma has less tip and tail rise and it starts closer to the tip and tails than it does on the 88. So not really the same ski, but the same spirit, and all of the Brahma's are more hardpack oriented now than they were a few years ago (according to my local Blizzard rep/daughters race coach).

Also, I got the 180 even though I am 6'2 and 200 because I ski 2 or 3 days a week in the midwest and only a couple weeks and a weekend a year out west, where I have longer skis if need be.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 09-05-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Skis.com website is showing 20 pairs of blem 180 Brahma 82's available and all other sizes with less inventory. Code Snowflake1 for an additional 10% off. Comes to 342 shipped plus tax. The pair I ordered was 362 with tax/free ship to Iowa.

Thanks for the thread muted. Got me thinking about my need for something skinnier than my OG Brahma 88's for hardpack front side. I debated something like the Firebird 76 with full camber, but I'm a playful undisciplined skier. So I think I'll dig the skinny Brahma for this price which is the best I have seen since they debuted last summer. I always liked getting on the Blizzard Quattro series before Blizzard neutered them and gave the goods to the Firebird line and these are said to ski pretty similar to the old Quattro. The 82 Brahma has less tip and tail rise and it starts closer to the tip and tails than it does on the 88. So not really the same ski, but the same spirit, and all of the Brahma's are more hardpack oriented now than they were a few years ago (according to my local Blizzard rep/daughters race coach).

Also, I got the 180 even though I am 6'2 and 200 because I ski 2 or 3 days a week in the midwest and only a couple weeks and a weekend a year out west, where I have longer skis if need be.
    Huh, now I’m skidding towards this direction as someone who used to ski moguls all the time. This review, if true is selling me:

“ You've probably got an all mountain ski in your quiver. You might have a powder ski too. Do you have a ripping carving ski that you can slay moguls on too? Probably not, or if you do, it's probably in the 90-100 mm range and doesn't feel nearly as quick as a ski like the Brahma 82. Alternatively, if you spend most of your time on a system carving ski, ask yourself whether it has the versatility you'd ideally be looking for. For some, a system carving ski doesn't need versatility, it's just for carving. For others, the Brahma 82 is going to change your world.”

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Stockli Laser SC in a 170. But you need to have dentist money to afford one.

Rossi made a 170 version of their consumer WC SL ski (the Radical) a while back. Should be good used deals on them.

If you're flush and want a stockli, my recommendation would be the Laser WRT ST - delightful hybrid of GS and SL; truly unique.

Judging by the interest I'm seeing in groomer skis it seems like a lot of folks are doing the same calculation--with reservations required I'd better plan on skiing on groomer days if I want to ski at all.
    I have a pair of non FIS GS skis with bindings and race plates I picked up for $100 at Start Haus in town. Not quite sure what they are--maybe U18's. They're enough ski for me and I only take them out on days when the hill is empty. There are race options short of FIS.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not quite sure what they are--maybe U18's. They're enough ski for me and I only take them out on days when the hill is empty. There are race options short of FIS.
    If they are shorter than 183, they are most likely U18. I use a de-tuned women's FIS GS ski and they work great once up to speed.

I would almost pay full price for an 80mm waist full on FIS women 30m construction with a 23m tip. I have a pair of Volkl 30m womens gs ski and if they had a little more sidecut up front and 80 underfoot they would slay a place like Snowbasin. Really don't need the 65mm underfoot for non injected snow, and a little more tip to engage would be welcome.

I have a lightly used Blizzard Latigo 184, 78 underfoot. From the Brahma/Bonafide lineup but no longer in production. One mount for STH2 at 306 bsl. $150 shipped USA?
    PM me for pics

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    I have a lightly used Blizzard Latigo 184, 78 underfoot. From the Brahma/Bonafide lineup but no longer in production. One mount for STH2 at 306 bsl. $150 shipped USA?
    PM me for pics
    This is basically the new Brahma 82 that they discontinued, and then rebranded as an 82 Brahma with more carbon/steel/torsional rigidity. Also known as Black Pearl 78 for women. I have skied them and they are a fricken blast. Way better than the 88 Brahma on ice, way faster edge to edge, but also way more locked in and thus much, much harder to smear so a lot less versatile but that is true of any ski as you get skinny. The 78 width is handful when the snow warms up or otherwise goes to shit compared to the 88 but that is to be expected. A ton of fun though and a travesty that Blizzard let the skinny all mountain concept die a quiet death for a couple three years.

I went with the Brahma Blems. Thanks uglymoney, we are cross-pollinating groomer ski ideas with this thread I guess. The thought of having a ripping mogul ski and a decent carver sold me. I would love to test out a real GS ski someday, but I'll have to rely on my JH huckleberry for that one day, thanks for the offer DJ!

It is going to be funny for the first time when I look down and click in to these. Moguls will be a million times easier though, finally.

Sweet! Looking forward to comparing notes.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Sweet! Looking forward to comparing notes.
    Absolutely! Looking forward to comparing our experiences when we ski the Brahma on PCP laced joints and without.

DJ, I'm thinking of replacing my annoying dumb BC boots this weekend, with all the holiday sales happening, but just wanted to check in with you first and ask if you remember me buying new BC boots recently?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    True GS skis are my favorite for hard pack days. Cheap, stiff, fast. Often $100 brand new (couple seasons old, not the latest and greatest so racers don't want them), or even less - and with bindings - at ski swaps.
    What Chup said...

One of our local shops in VT has a wall full of 1-3 year old Blizzard, Head and Volkl SL and GS race boards still in the wrapper for $99...some with plates...call around...shops will almost give away brand new race skis if they've got outdated graphics...wicked way to get maximum grippy grins on the groomers when there's no fresh snow around...
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

I can't often recall another's gear needs, but when I can, it's always the red ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I find that the village is often underrated for it's groomed skiing. It doesn't have a ton of groomers but the handful are often A+.

A few go for miles, all have some real pitch, most are mega-wide, and downhill visibility is usually excellent.
    At any hour there is a groomer entering the direct sun corn cycle, assuming temps allow for that.
    If you show total control and some finesse turns, the speed wranglers tend to ignore you. Blind jumps and rollers are OK with spotters...

All key ingredients to top shelf groomer gs'ing.

And the snow, maybe some fresh cord with 2 inches of fresh with a trace of water for texture. And the entire run, top to bottom, side to side, is as smooth as a sheet of paper.
    It feels like crushed velvet. Elvis.
    Railing at mach, alone in the bubble, feeling nothing but the wind and the speed.

Then you hit the unseen bump and pull a Bode save, all outriggered, land it in a tuck and force that fucking arc.
    I got about 10 trams of that in me. Every day.
    Except for soft days.

Sweet, sweet music.

How does a relatively modern 30m GS ski compare to a 205 race stock GS ski from say 1990? They don't look much different, aside from tip point shape.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    How does a relatively modern 30m GS ski compare to a 205 race stock GS ski from say 1990? They don't look much different, aside from tip point shape.

Here's a pretty good and accurate timeline.
    https://skiinghistory.org/history/evolution-ski-shape

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Well, the 205-210cm GS ski from the 90's was the only choice for an all mtn ripper way back when. Yes, you can slarve a 65mm waist ski, it could also be skied from the tail. These still come out each year for LBD.

The 30M GS stick is not that ski, it has almost no slarve in it's DNA. It demands forward pressure and wants to be skied from the tip, has almost no tail release. I have multiple pairs 30M+ left over from kids going thru FIS, but for me, the 30 and 35M GS skis are not all that fun vs. the older 23 and 27 M ones in the 183-193cm;- but kids are off that size and onto 30M at 16. ~35M is fun for SG if they run 200+.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I will say that super g’ing around the bird on the Aurelian ducroz 192’s is a life changing experience.
    I agree. Been skiing the Pro Rider 105/Factory 192s for years now and they do feel like a GS ski as far as edge hold and stability. Main difference is that my Dynastar WC FIS GS boards are lightning quick as far as turn initiation.

Non-FIS GS cheater skis are a great option but it in years past when I've looked for them, they seem harder to find than new "old stock" FIS or Masters race skis as they always seem to sellout quick.