Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Hell, it’s below 32 most summer mornings in South County....
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    27° La Pine

Meadows have released further details on this season...

https://www.skihood.com/en/about-us/...ate-the-most-s

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Meadows have released further details on this season...

https://www.skihood.com/en/about-us/...ate-the-most-s

Discuss
    it's the same strategy they've used in prior years (minus the limiting of passes)
    i think we're still gonna have a packed weekend, esp when it snows

and they've been generally poor in their line management...i'm not expecting much in a more distanced version of chaos

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    For Alta
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    For Alta
    For Cascades
    Saturday

Rain. Snow level 7000 feet decreasing to 5500 feet in the afternoon. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Saturday Night

Rain and snow showers likely. Snow level 5000 feet. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Sunday

Mostly cloudy. Chance of rain and snow showers in the morning, then a chance of rain in the afternoon. Snow level 5000 feet. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Exciting! But, I'm not ready for the mountain biking season to be over yet...

I am trying to ignore the weather this early and will start paying attention to it in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PNW-skier78 View Post
    I am trying to ignore the weather this early and will start paying attention to it in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wore jeans and flannel to come down this week. 80*, GTFO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3078.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	342754
    October turns, and another year, completed.

Fresh snow this weekend?

looks like you got a stone grind too to get the bases ready for the season

good for you getting out and keeping tay going

Mmm... gritty suncups.

Woof. Kind of ride down you feel in your teeth

Hey all, thought I'd pop in here instead of starting a new thread. Reno/Tahoe skier here, mainly touring these days. Recently applied to a couple decent jobs up in Bend and was wondering what the half day/before work touring options might be around Bend/Central Oregon. Is Tumalo, Vista Butte, and Todd Lake it? I actually have the Backountry Ski Routes Oregon book from some trips that fell through awhile back and it seems like most stuff is sled access or a long day. Any info is appreciated, cheers!

P.S. - sorry for the crosspost, I don't know if the 19/20 or 20/21 Oregon thread is more active.

Bend is a town that doesn't go to work in the morning. Many many people have job schedules that don't start until 1:00. You can find them by the dozens on any powder morning. They'll buy season passes and ski in the morning, going to work in the afternoon. So many people take advantage of that schedule at the ski area.

There is good touring but it is not close to the highway. You will spend most of your day getting to and from any good ski hills. I would add Red Top to your list of destinations. It is a peak above Fawn Lake, which is south of Odel Lake. I would also add Maiden Peak, Mt Washington Pulina Peak, South Sister to the list but they are as you say sled dependant or they are Spring trips.

Maiden butte reminds me, what ever happened to Schralper from the board? He still kicking around S County doing his sled ski thang?

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    Bend is a town that doesn't go to work in the morning. Many many people have job schedules that don't start until 1:00. You can find them by the dozens on any powder morning. They'll buy season passes and ski in the morning, going to work in the afternoon. So many people take advantage of that schedule at the ski area.

There is good touring but it is not close to the highway. You will spend most of your day getting to and from any good ski hills. I would add Red Top to your list of destinations. It is a peak above Fawn Lake, which is south of Odel Lake. I would also add Maiden Peak, Mt Washington Pulina Peak, South Sister to the list but they are as you say sled dependant or they are Spring trips.
    Thanks, snojones. I'll add Red Top to the list. In terms of Tumalo and Todd Lake, do they get swarmed when conditions are good or are most folks heading to the ski area like you mentioned?

GoSlow - Quick hit touring options around Bend are very limited. Add the cone at Bachy to your pre-work list, and a couple on your list you will probably drop off. All of the low hanging fruit is hammered pretty much immediately now. I always laugh when I'm skinning up at 5 am in the dark and there's already several groups hitting it. That said, you can usually find untracked snow if you get up early. Just don't go expecting solitude. Thinking back 5, 10, 15, 20 years it truly does seem that the number of folks touring has grown exponentially. If you have full days and a sled you'll be psyched.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Thanks, snojones. I'll add Red Top to the list. In terms of Tumalo and Todd Lake, do they get swarmed when conditions are good or are most folks heading to the ski area like you mentioned?
    Without a sled, the touring options get old really quickly. They're super limited and are going to be swamped even more this year. Early season you can access some stuff off Santiam pass and other places before the road snows in too much, but after that, your non-sled options shut down until roads melt out in the spring.

Even in the 3 years I've been here, people getting a morning lap at Tumalo has exploded. You can show up at the parking lot at 5am and have 3 or 4 other groups there. The lot can be completely full by 8am or earlier.

If you want a wide variety of touring options get ready to a) walk a loooong way b) buy a sled or c) find friends with sleds who are willing to tow you 8 miles over bumps

Cool, thanks all for reaffirming what I was already thinking. Bend is a great little city and I like the vibe/size compared to Reno, just a little worried about getting bored with the terrain (even with mtbing). For all of the shitty parts about Reno, I love the access to awesome roadside touring and mtbing within a 30-1.5hrs drive.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Maiden butte reminds me, what ever happened to Schralper from the board? He still kicking around S County doing his sled ski thang?
    He’s around. Nice throwback, brah. Most don’t know the legend of the Schralper.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

I thought Oregonians were bread to despise California transplants, not help direct them to their stashes. Bend obviously doesn't have enough people or snowmobile owners yet.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I thought Oregonians were bread to despise California transplants, not help direct them to their stashes. Bend obviously doesn't have enough people or snowmobile owners yet.
    Last I checked, Reno is in Nevada...

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I thought Oregonians were bread
    Oh, we are. Soft, white, fluffy, sometimes crusty.

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    Oh, we are. Soft, white, fluffy, sometimes crusty.
    Sounds like the perfect croissant.