Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_1_3 View Post
    How so? Feel free to mark up my errors in MS paint
    I see a map with an eastern edge of about -121* longitude. There’s another 4* to go before the border with Idaho. Can’t mark up what I can’t see.

See Figure 1, but open to interpretations. I would have just written Cascades if left to my own devices, but then came across this subset of naming.
    https://hess.copernicus.org/articles...3367-2014.html
    Are you trying to get us to do some school assignment for you?

September 1 2020

Willamette Pass will move forward with the intent of FULL OPERATIONS as snow will allow this coming winter season.
    Operations will be modified in order to meet state and local guidelines. Please have patience, this is an evolving situation for everyone.

So that's good.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

WP was the last to stay open last year, no?

Yes. Sounds like the mom & pops might be a good option if the big B gets slammed. Here comes the next smoke out for us. Fuk
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Yup, getting a wind shift and all that west side smoke coming to us
    Forecast for rain early next week

Name:  118701499_3548831568501739_8807639518943700955_n.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  53.5 KB

Storm Hood, thanks for the OR encyclopedia link, that is very helpful. And good call on the Trout Creek mountains, you were right! I had looked into the Wiki link, but figured rather than guess on which (sub) ranges are most important I'd summon the powers of TGR's clan of friendly Oregonians to help guide me. My OR mountain experiences are limited to summer park laps at Hood and skiing a couple laps on the Cooper Spur in 2013 (an exquisite line; five-star fun!), so I am the first to admit my lack of knowledge. Again, thanks for your input.

Here's a revised map, comments always welcome. Is the ??? area near Crater Lake considered the Southern Cascades? How's the subrange naming of the Blues now? Cottonwoods worth adding?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OR_swe-01.jpg 
Views:	1632 
Size:	444.4 KB 
ID:	339558

TBS, maybe you can see the whole image now? And no, not a school assignment. Sorry. I'm merely trying to ensure my physiographic nomenclature is correct so I don't make egregious errors in describing locations (where you would go, "WTF? What a dumbass!", but you can do that anyways, it's fine). Following your earlier comment, I removed the western Cascades/High Cascades naming.

I would make the Wallowas/Eagle Cap on the same size as the rest of the subranges for more clarity, but then again that is a bit of a political position others would have the “Alps of Oregon” as there own standalone.

I like that you added the Aldrich and Mauries, if you are looking at the map for the hrdrological importance they make up significant divides for where the water goes while leaving The Blues.

Also, might as well get the Seven Devils on the Idaho side of the Snake and Hell’s Canyon on there.

Crater Lake is still the Cascades, but take all my suggestions with a grain of salt I am just a Oregonian with a general Social Science Degree and not a real geographer.

Also, there is a good thread about The Blues in the Books forum here on TGR.

Lastly, sorry for any spicy-ness in attitude. Shit is a lot heated around here, so thanks for the distraction even if you are getting us to help you with your homework 😉

Mckenzie now at 144,695 acres, 0% containment with 207 firefighters.

TBS, maybe you can see the whole image now? And no, not a school assignment. Sorry. I'm merely trying to ensure my physiographic nomenclature is correct so I don't make egregious errors in describing locations (where you would go, "WTF? What a dumbass!", but you can do that anyways, it's fine). Following your earlier comment, I removed the western Cascades/High Cascades naming.
    Nope, same map that chops off eastern 2/3 of the state. I’m on an iPad Air

Are you opening up the image or just viewing it from the post. It's all there on an android device.

shows up on a desktop web browser
    it was cut on my ipad too -- had to side-swipe

i'm def feeling a little weird with the odd flat yellow lighting and constant smell of smoke, and I"m not that close
    how are you all feeling who are closer to the smoke?
    i hope everyone is staying safe

I’m was viewing - using Chrome. Tried swiping - nada.
    Not sure why this is important anyway. Pick up a Rand McNally Atlas for Oregon - all basic land/water features are listed.
    Don’t need to spend time on this in a thread about being optimistic. Best reasons for optimism
    1. It was 30*F Tues @ 0700
    2. Forecast is for rain here early next week.
    3. La Niña is coming. I love that little tart.

ETA for Multicolon - smoke is getting worse at La Ponderita. Can’t see The Sisters from my house. Can smell smoke inside the house with AC going and all windows closed tight. Supposed to get way worse tomorrow and the weekend as winds shift to westerly in advance of the rain front.

looking forward to the rain...tho I do have a river day set for next Thurs, so hopefully can still get out in decent weather

one day...someone's gonna say,"hey, those colons kinda look like snow" - a man can dream, right?

^^^You live on the west side of OR and a little summer shower is gonna wreck your fishing? You need to be optimistic!

*wheeze*

Stay safe, Orygun mags! We'll get through this, even if the glass is twice as large as it needs to be

no filter, tuesday 6pm, s. salem area looking towards jefferson which you can usually see poking up right in the middle there...

Name:	red sky.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	339623

today smoke has settled lower and air quality is way worse but lighting is yellow/brown and not as apocalyptic, vibes to any effected from all this, speak up if need anything

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    ^^^You live on the west side of OR and a little summer shower is gonna wreck your fishing? You need to be optimistic!
    i'm optimistic that rain is good for wildfire

Storm Hood, thanks for the OR encyclopedia link, that is very helpful. And good call on the Trout Creek mountains, you were right! I had looked into the Wiki link, but figured rather than guess on which (sub) ranges are most important I'd summon the powers of TGR's clan of friendly Oregonians to help guide me. My OR mountain experiences are limited to summer park laps at Hood and skiing a couple laps on the Cooper Spur in 2013 (an exquisite line; five-star fun!), so I am the first to admit my lack of knowledge. Again, thanks for your input.

Here's a revised map, comments always welcome. Is the ??? area near Crater Lake considered the Southern Cascades? How's the subrange naming of the Blues now? Cottonwoods worth adding?

Name:	OR_swe-01.jpg 
Views:	1632 
Size:	444.4 KB 
ID:	339558

I would suggest using Google Earth Pro with the NOAA SWE equivalent .kml overlay or QGIS(free) which would add some detail to the map. The map could benefit from a hillshade or imagery overlay as well

Jefferson is getting absolutely hammered. I know fires are a natural part of the ecosystem, but God Damn.

I'm neither a dentist nor a forest resources management guy, but my understanding is we've been too effective at suppressing wildfires, so when they do take off there's a lot more fuel, and they burn hotter and spread more than would have been the case 200 years ago. So these particular fires likely wouldn't have occurred without human intervention.

Stay safe Oregon mags! Masking tape and plastic drop cloth has helped with smoke proofing some of the key spots (windows, fireplace) in my drafty old bungalow. I have a furnace filter taped to a box fan and the fucker is running for all it's worth, and it's helping -- I now have just a hint of delicious smoke aroma inside the house. Good thing because it would be hard to get through my busy day of TGR posting if I constantly smelled barbecue :-/

Also, if you're in the PDX metro area and you haven't signed up for phone alerts from your county, this might be a good time to do that - you can signup here: https://www.publicalerts.org/

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Also, if you're in the PDX metro area and you haven't signed up for phone alerts from your county, this might be a good time to do that - you can signup here: https://www.publicalerts.org/
    thx for that
    i didn't know about it

I feel like I'm smoking a pack of Camels an hour and that's inside the house. What's next. Oh right a Nov. election.

might be time to use a n95 at home if you have one
    i've had headaches & I'm pretty far from the real trouble here
    i fueled up today -- it was self serve because of air quality