Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Aren’t they on fire?

Some maybe. Not all. Hasn't moved that far west.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    They do not really have steep lines for the most part, but you said you're not really looking for that.
    No, not really - he said this:

Quote Originally Posted by Tjaardbreeuwer View Post
    Because I would like to ski steeper stuff too,
    and this (among other things):

[FONT=arial]

However, my wife and I are pretty fresh backcountry skiers, and we have our 10 and 13 year old daughters along. We also need to plan a long time ahead, so have to be prepared for any kind of avalanche conditions.
    So some of us thought this:

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    OP. The more I read this thread, the more I think you need a guide.
    But really I think rideit nailed it with this:

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Mt. Unicorn Hut System?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Gary, as a newb I don't think he really knows what he wants (or as noted, he wants a unicorn). Which is to be expected, really, don't we all want sweet steep pow lines that are safe, from an affordable backcountry hut that has easy access? I mean, can't blame the guy for having a wish list! So, I offered an option that checks most but not all of the boxes. Because checking all the boxes is unobtanium.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I hear ya danno, your choice of hut is probably spot on. I still maintain the biggest takeaway for the OP is to get guided.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Gary, as a newb I don't think he really knows what he wants (or as noted, he wants a unicorn). Which is to be expected, really, don't we all want sweet steep pow lines that are safe, from an affordable backcountry hut that has easy access? I mean, can't blame the guy for having a wish list! So, I offered an option that checks most but not all of the boxes. Because checking all the boxes is unobtanium.
    You nailed it pretty much, except I do know what I want, and I don’t think it’s a unicorn.

What I want is area has extensive amounts of ~20-30 degree slopes near the hut/yurt. Full stop.

The thing that is probably causing confusion is when I once mentioned I might want to ski steeper lines. That was in a direct response to another remark about snowpack, and so it was to ‘steeper than the 20-29 degrees we were talking about before’. not steeper as in ‘dude, I want to to go shred some steep lines*. So in this context, it was meant as 30-35 degree slopes. Maybe it’s best if we completely ignore that, since it seems to be causing a fair bit of confusion, and isn’t a factor in location at all for me.

*which I do want to, but would do guided, without kids etc. not on this trip.

It's been mentioned but most huts will do a first day only guided. Even if you're very experienced it can be very worthwhile. The guide knows the area like the back of his/her hand and can point you in the direction of terrain that you want, efficient skin tracks, which aspects to ski based on wind etc..

* quite a few operations actually require a 1st day guide if you havent been there before or dont have a "group leader" with certain avy certs.

Also(obv continental snowpack) if you have some time to kill there are a ton of FS cabins in MT that would fit the bill for what you want, ie meadow skipping, and be dirt cheap. Browse the reserve.gov site and pull it up on google earth.

People are giving you solid advice.

Honest question- "if you know what you want and dont think its a unicorn" than why dont you have at least some options to ask about?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Mt. Unicorn Hut System?
    how about brokeback mountain ski area?
    or do you need to be experienced to ski there?

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    It's been mentioned but most huts will do a first day only guided. Even if you're very experienced it can be very worthwhile. The guide knows the area like the back of his/her hand and can point you in the direction of terrain that you want, efficient skin tracks, which aspects to ski based on wind etc..
    I agree. I really see value in, and appreciate guides. I have gone out with guides many times in the past. If full guided is not feasible, then 1 or 2 days is certainly a great option if they offer that.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Also(obv continental snowpack) if you have some time to kill there are a ton of FS cabins in MT that would fit the bill for what you want, ie meadow skipping, and be dirt cheap. Browse the reserve.gov site and pull it up on google earth.

People are giving you solid advice.

Honest question- "if you know what you want and dont think its a unicorn" than why dont you have at least some options to ask about?
    Good tip about the FS cabins/lookouts. I have looked at them for summer trips, didn’t think of them for winter.

I appreciate the stuff people have mentioned. Very helpful.

As to your question, I can interpret it a few ways:
    if you mean, why don’t I have huts in mind already, and ask about them?
    I only know of a few huts that would seem to fit the bill. If I have already heard them, I don’t need to ask about them(at this point), I already have them on my list. But I figured there must be hundreds more huts in the US.

Mainly I was trying to come up with a list of potential huts to check into further. Besides the CO hut website, it is hard to find a a good listing, and even if you do (thanks @schindlerpiste for that website backcountryhuts.net !) it is a long process to locate them precisely enough on a map to get a feel for the terrain.

I figured that an Internet forum is a great place for that. Someone has been to, travelled by, or heard of a hut that seems to fit my request, they can quick put the name on here, and then I can delve into it deeper.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

What they consider “low angle” might still be steeper than what I am willing to do.
    Abandon your maritime vs. continental criteria, and go with some of the excellent recommendations given by others...

I'll repeat what others said - it's meaningless given that you're skiing long angle, even if you're not going to be guided. Essentially, you're gonna stay out of avalanche terrain, so snow climate is irrelevant. Your saying that you may want to ski the steeps too doesn't make any sense. Just plan the meadow skipping vacation, or plan the vacation where you're gonna go pay a guide to take you into areas where you're not qualified to safely assess the avalanche risk.

I would argue that you should not be taking 3 inexperienced backcountry skiers (2 of whom are children) into avalanche terrain, period, full stop, without a guide or more experienced partner. If you decide to dial it up and go somewhere where you'll need a guide, that guide will know the snowpack in the area so the climate is not an issue.

OK, I'll just piggyback this thread rather than starting my own. I'm doing my own research too, but please put some huts/yurts on my short list.

-excellent skiing
    -variety of terrain available (our group is very experienced/comfortable evaluating snowpack and terrain, but would be booking well in advance so having options for varying avy conditions is ideal)
    -within a 1 day drive of Denver (so WY, UT, NM, parts of MT and ID)
    -not guided (the one day guide thing is probably doable but not looking for guided trips)
    -not Colorado (already familiar with the options)
    -snowmobile access permitted is preferred (even if only part of the way). Does not need to have sled lap skiing available, we can skin just fine. Shorter access non-motorized also fine, I just prefer to spend more time skiing and less time slogging into the hut. Plus we like to bring a lot of food and booze. A few miles is fine.

I really just have not explored much outside of CO, but have a bit more vacation time now and want to branch out.

have not been to Zimmer but have skied some in the Beartooths . Not sure about conditions. when I was there above tree line was windblown did not leave a mark. Tobacco Roots look a little more interesting in my opinion. Better book tomorrow. Did not follow the climate discussion here. But climate is everything. You don't book a family hut trip in a maritime climate months in advance. Could be raining. But someplace like Wolf Creek yurts you can pretty much count on good snow.
    off your knees Louie

Looking for backcountry hut/yurt with "hippie pow"

Got a case of Analysis paralysis, pick one and go. I suspect you don’t need as many acres of low angle slopes for the low angle dangle as you’d think...

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Got a case of Analysis paralysis, pick one and go. I suspect you don’t need as many acres of low angle slopes for the low angle dangle as you’d think...
    Yep, don’t need much for size of terrain
    more a matter of figuring out availability and travel

You screwed up eliminating Colorado in your initial post.

Especially since the person that knows the most about huts , posts here regularly.

https://www.huts.org

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    You screwed up eliminating Colorado in your initial post.

Especially since the person that knows the most about huts , posts here regularly.

https://www.huts.org
    There are lots out there, but I won't be mentioning any, Why? Well the ones I know are pretty booked up, and I'm guessing it is because of the outlook on ski areas (reservations, or closing like last year).

Dude had received a LOT of advice without even a glimpse of his wife's tits, man this place is slipping!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I was skiing around the wolf creek yurt today. OP if you are still around this place fits your critrtia perfectly.

You out solo most of the time?