Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lastly ZX 108 anyone?

Liked the Kassel BMX108 (first rocker year) but man was it demanding - kinda like a katana in the soft. Looking for something that can go side country. Usually run a 188-90 thinking about going a bit shorter for touring... anyone skied the 184 v 191? Thoughts on how they ski v. Say a commander 108 188 or woodsman. Should I go 184 or 191? Or just buy a commander?

Tia

I skied the 191 (I think it was 191) ZX 108 for an afternoon and loved it. It was sort of one of those skis that you click into and forget are there? They just made skiing easy.

I did ski the FX106 the same morning and HATED it. It’s one of the worst 3 skis I’ve ever been on. So the bar for me to like the ZX 109 was pretty low.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Skibrd have you skied the BMX 105 and if so how does it compares to the ZX 108 ?

I know that your question is super specific, but don't discount this deal. Besides, this is the fair comparison.
    Not mine, but...BIK

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Blizza...e5fa%7Ciid%3A1
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    Skibrd have you skied the BMX 105 and if so how does it compares to the ZX 108 ?
    I don’t really remember much about the BMX 105. I do remember thinking I’d like the 105 HP a lot.

The BMX 105 (not HP) was blah
    the HP version was really nice.
    Stable, surfy, on edge, all in all a very good ski.
    The perfect every day western US ski in my book.

It’s only limitations are at the very fringes ... when something like a Head Monster is the right choice. I happily ski it everyday inbounds on pow days at Snowbird and Alta, FWIW. Plenty surfy for me.

look forward to trying the ZX this winter.

Marshal, is there a big difference between the BMX 105 HP and non HP, or slight ?
    I have a BMX 105 non HP in 181 mounted alpine. I like it, great float, and stability is ok but could be better. Considering putting touring bindings on it and getting a BMX 105 HP 181 for a bit more stability. I’m just afraid that it might be a little too much ski for my taste, not sure. For exemple, the Blizzard Cochise 2015 185 was too much ski for me ...

Yo man!

a couple quick caveats:
    - only skied 189 not 181
    - not skied hp and non-hp back to back.

with that said:
    - non-hp is lighter (~150g), noticeably softer, less lively
    - Hp flex is round and nice, amazingly smooth feel, lively
    - the HP has stiffer tip, more rebound, smoother feel
    - Only felt the HP was easy, fun rewarding, directional ski

189 HP vs 185 Cochise
    - 189 hp has lighter feel, less boardy, way more surfy
    - Cochise damp heavy feel, large radius, bottom feeder
    - in all, Cochise 185 feels bigger and plankier than 189 HP

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 09-08-2020 at 09:10 AM.

@Marshal, it does help thanks

Anyone fondled the ZX108 already ? What's the mounting point like ? Around -12.5 like on the BMX105 or more forward ?

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    @Marshal, it does help thanks

Anyone fondled the ZX108 already ? What's the mounting point like ? Around -12.5 like on the BMX105 or more forward ?
    I skied half a day on it in early March. It skied great, I had no issues. Mount point didn’t feel off, skied just like Kaestles should, correct.

So I asked a Sport Conrad about the mounting point of the ZX108 184 :
    True length is 183cm.
    There are 2 lines, standard and "Generation Z" :
    Standard is 78.7cm from the tail so -12.8cm
    Gen Z is 80.5cm from the tail so -11cm

The MP of the BMX105 -12.5cm so similar.

I was wondering if the ZX108 would have some newschoolish mounting point around -8 or something like that.

It's a bit sad though they could have called that standard line "OK BOOMER" or something like that

I like traditional mounting points even though I'm not a boomer yet so that ZX108 is tempting
    Last edited by stuntmanbo; 09-22-2020 at 07:56 AM.

Embrace the boom

Lastly ZX 108 anyone?

This jives it seems. Have been starting at +1 on their skis after the first few pairs, where on those after bouncing around I ended at +1. Not that I’m gen Z but the mount skis traditional while not being a complete departure from my pow rides.

Did you notice that the recommended drill for the ZX108 is 4.1, as opposed to the one for the non-HP BMX 105 which is 3.5 ?
    So I'm wondering if there is a partial titanal plate in the ZX108 ? Can't tell on the picture. Or does it happens that non titanal skis are sometimes drilled at 4.1 ?

ZX 191 any more thoughts on mount point ?

I skied the 108 for a week and half last winter, sad to have to give it back to the rep. Skied the BMX 105 HP for the 4 seasons prior. Skied the 106 HP last winter.

108 really great off piste soft/medium/firm snow performance, not as good on piste/hard snow as the 105.

Skied my new pair 2 days so far. All days mounted on the boomer line, even though at 55 I am technically Gen X you little
    jibber punks!

5'9" 165lbs, old as mentioned, back line is just fine for me.
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

Reviving an old thread. Anymore people on the ZX108 with thoughts and impressions? Trying to decide between picking one of these up in a 184cm or an Enforcer 110 Free 185cm. Currently have a BMX105 189 non HP and love it but looking for something slightly smaller for wiggling through trees and bumps. And hoping for some crud dampness. Don't need to blow through it but a little suspension would be appreciated.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    I skied the 108 for a week and half last winter, sad to have to give it back to the rep. Skied the BMX 105 HP for the 4 seasons prior. Skied the 106 HP last winter.

108 really great off piste soft/medium/firm snow performance, not as good on piste/hard snow as the 105.

Skied my new pair 2 days so far. All days mounted on the boomer line, even though at 55 I am technically Gen X you little
    jibber punks!

5'9" 165lbs, old as mentioned, back line is just fine for me.
    I just picked up the fx 106ti. Haven’t mounted yet - but can not fing wait to get this out west.

Couldn't resist picking up a pair from Blue Zone Sports in Tahoe but haven't mounted. Hand flexing they feel soft.... Do they ski stiffer than they flex? I could imagine it being amazing in powder but not so much once it starts to get cut up or setup?
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Couldn't resist picking up a pair from Blue Zone Sports in Tahoe but haven't mounted. Hand flexing they feel soft.... Do they ski stiffer than they flex? I could imagine it being amazing in powder but not so much once it starts to get cut up or setup?
    They ski correct if you have the legs to drive them. Definitely are not slouches in cut up snow.

@k12, they hand flex softer than the BMX 105 non hp ?

Yes. I have the bmx 105 189 and the zx 108 184 hand flexes softer in the tips and tails. Not by much but it is noticeable.

For those who skied both the ZX108 and the BMX105/115, have you been annoyed by the smaller turn radius on the ZX vs the bigger on the BMX ?

Just saw this thread, and I demoed the ZX108 191 a couple weeks ago in JH, and I liked the QST 106 188 that I demoed the next day in almost the exact same conditions better. The front of the skis were very similar, but the tails of the ZX wanted to go much straighter than the QST at the finish of the turn. I usually like a stiffer tail, but this seemed odd, and could have been a demo binding ramp issue. The groomer runs back to the lifts were very similar with both skis, so it wasn't like I liked the Zx better there. Both very damp.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Bumping this old thread to see if there is any more insight on the ZX mounting points.

I just picked up a pair of the ZX115 in the 193 on a sweet deal. Stoked on how this thing looks/flexes. I’m a big guy and a lot of skis feel really short, this one does not. I ski the 189 TX103 slightly forward of recommendation, but that one is skied with a two buckle boot. The ZX115 is getting cast/Cochise, and will primarily be an inbounds sidecountry ripper.

I’m an old Millennial, so maybe split the difference between the boomer and gen z line??