Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    No offense meant billyk but we’re not talking 0 to 60 here. Kayaking doesn’t have to be the equivalent of roping up to kick cornices off a pow line. Are there risks learning to whitewater kayak? Sure. The dude is talking about taking some kayak classes with his 9 yo daughter.

Yeah, sorry to be a downer. Probably things will be fine provided you stick with lower class levels and get lessons. But it is good to be aware, at least, of what can go wrong.

Spent a reasonable amount of time on rivers in rafts and canoes...I’m reasonably aware of the power of water

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4342.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	338983

Good times were had!

It’s normally a lot colder.

The small boat looks good on her

how long is the paddle ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Go to the Jackson website, JacksonAdventures, and get EJ's rolling/bracing video and his strokes and concepts video. Then spend lots of time on flat water/pool sessions learning it. When doing whitewater keep it to the class 2 stuff for a couple 2/3 years, she's only 9, last thing you want to do is get her scared, cause then it's all over for her. Join a club if there's one around you and take lots of lesson if you can. Kayaking is about as fun as it gets. Where do you guys live? I'm in Golden, Co and teaching my 8 and 12 year old. Psyched to see your daughter wants to kayak, as I think at last count there were only 23 people left kayaking in the U.S.

Just saw you live in Park City.

If you guys make it out to Colorado next summer hit me up and we can take the gets kayaking. I spend a lot of time on the Arkansas river and there is a lot of good class 2. PM sent with my phone #.

Thanks MCskid! We’ll try and get out! The 11 year doesn’t want anything to do with it....a bit more timid. Picked her up a small oar boat. I’ll PM ya back in a few.

Detrusor,

I remember having a conversation with @Olympus about paddling with kids. His are older than mine but he was getting them going and they were having a blast. He lives in SLC and might have some gear available that his have grown out of. Hit him up via PM or let me know if you need an email address.

I have a boat rack full of we boats that could use some love. I would absolutely send some your way if I could figure out how to ship them cheaply. How big are you? I may have something that would fit and get you on the water.

I agree with meant others who have posted - we kayaking is awesome. Some of my best days were paddling with friends in high school and college. Like anything else it takes a measure of humility and respect for the power of water but as long as you can exercise that you'll be golden.

I ran an ACA kayak school during the summer when I was in college. I was always amazed at how quickly kids would get it in comparison to their older counterparts. I'm excited to get my own kids going next year.

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Rapids surfing etc are all cool but the grace and beauty of learning to nail the basics, ferrying, eddying in/out on moving flatwater, is a pretty cool life experience even if that is as far as it goes.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Thanks MCskid! We’ll try and get out! The 11 year doesn’t want anything to do with it....a bit more timid. Picked her up a small oar boat. I’ll PM ya back in a few.

I started Kayaking while living in PC. Spent a fair amount of days on the mighty Weber.

Closest reliable WW was the canyon stretch of the Snake. Pretty mellow and playful above Blind Canyon with clean water that wasn't too cold.

Enjoy the ride.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Can you please tell me if the kayak is 62 cm wide enough for a beginner? Wouldn't it feel like sitting on a stool with two legs? I understand, of course, that everything requires skill and that it comes with experience. But I would like to go out on the river, especially at first, to be sure that you won't get burned in the water, if you just lose a little bit of vigilance. Or sit-on-top sentence for a beginner?

Got into the pool for my first session. Pretty damn fun! The wet exit is pretty easy, amazed at how responsive the boat is after rowing the raft. Looking forward to getting outside Friday.

My advice: lean upstream when leaving the eddy.

j/k, I fucking miss kayaking. I have no real excuses except little kids and life...but when the Lochsa is 1.5 hours away, those excuses are weak af.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    I am so itching to go boating this weekend and I'm stuck in the house. My daughter's 21st birthday festivities going on and everything in the Smokies is running, phone blowing up with people that want to go boat.....

Anyhow, my advice; find some people that can teach you the basics whether that is just some friends or a club. Club boating gets a bad name, but it is a great way to meet some like minded people and get started. Most clubs have a late spring early summer school for just a few $$$. You can always come to East TN and go to Paddle School right around Memorial Day, 2 days of camping, good times, oh and some kayak instruction on the Hiwassee, Ocoee, or Tellico rivers for $100. (Shameless plug, I'm currently the President of the Chota Canoe Club in Knoxville, TN. https://paddlechota.org/ )
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

First moving water today. I know the Provo is easy but it was great to be outside and move in and out of the little eddies. 9!year old is so much better than I am!

Floated the Weber last night with the 9 year old in a dual lesson format. Great fun, no swims. I’m sore today in my core and shoulder girdle.

Sweet man, glad it's been fun for you guys.

Glad you're getting out there and enjoying yourself and spending some great time with your daughter. River people are some of the best community that I know.

Out of curiosity, what boat are you paddling?

Jackson nirvana large. Picked up out of the rental fleet from rendezvous in Jackson.