Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I'll touch base with Keith this week. It's almost time for a couple first pair protos to check out and weigh.

Nick. - Keith did black bases with the Praxis die cut on the 191s. I imagine he'll do that again.

Would like to a rocket pic as well.
    I already have both stiff and soft pairs of 186 Kusalas, but ....

I have been skiing the original carbon fiber kusalas for 6-7 years. These are great skis for the backcountry and powder days, and they edge on iced up terrain. I have skied them extensively on high angle terrain in chamonix and here in New Hampshire.

It’s hard to find a ski like this from the mainstream manufacturers because they dumb down the turn radius or the stiffness for the intermediate masses. Serious skiers need to buy a pair so that we keep them in production.

Keith has been two guys down at the shop, so the 26th is still the date pressing starts, including checkouts on the first pair. As for weight - since he's using the same materials I did, (14 oz glass and carbon fiber top and bottom) the only weight difference is the core, for which I used aspen. So with the UL layup, minus the metal tips and tails, it should be damn close to the original 186.

Splat--we have through till the end of tomorrow to order correct?

Well, order placed. Enduro/carbon/veneer. Was a little tempted to go UL for touring, but I’m not sure I’d jive well with that layup. Still a little tempted to throw a pair of shifts on these for the occasional side country lap

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Splat--we have through till the end of tomorrow to order correct?
    Tuco - yes, tonite.

Gotcha.
    Gonna try to get my brother interested.
    My order is coming.....
    Can't wait for these....

Couldn't resist.
    Trigger pulled.

:

Kusala Pow By Praxis - Orders Close 10/17

Who all is doing UL vs Enduro core?

Rethinking carbon/enduro/veneer vs carbon/UL/veneer before it’s too late. I have 192 enduro/veneer protests, as well as 189 ON3P Cease and Desists. Billy goat 108 Tour this season as dedicated touring rig.

Cease and Desists will stay for resort, if I get these in enduro/carbon/veneer I may sell the protests if I like these better in resort.

Thinking about the UL core for Pow touring. I’m in CO this season, but just got a job offer out in CA so will be moving back next year (= Tahoe touring after this). Only worry with UL core is if I’ll have wished I went Enduro so I can ski them in resort. And if UL at 2100g/ski is worth it as a more or less dedicated Pow touring ski (vs something like a BG tour or Wildcat tour closer to 1850g.)

Options are:

Enduro/carbon/veneer+attacks: resort

Enduro/carbon/veneer+shifts: resort and some side country or short pow tours (leaning this way, since my BG108T will cover most conditions especially in Tahoe)

Enduro/carbon/veneer+tectons: pow touring plus a little resort

UL/carbon/veneer + tectons: touring

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post

Options are:

Enduro/carbon/veneer+attacks: resort

Enduro/carbon/veneer+shifts: resort and some side country or short pow tours
    I’m going one of these two options based on actual weight of my delivered pair. If the enduro core with veneer is 2250+ g per ski it’s a no brainer to have this be a resort ski, less then this I’ll probably mount shifts.

I would have no reservations about buying this ski in Keith’s UL core if I was planning ~70% touring duty. I think on big resort days it would be a 100% non issue. I’ve held onto some concerns about using that core on a resort when it’s beat up but I still think Keith’s UL cores are as good or better than the best of em and for a touring POW ski, well like I said, zero concerns. I’ve skied my UL GPO’s on a really beat up Silverton day and was pretty damn blown away how well they did, but it was certainly noticeable. On the couple resort pow days I’ve had on em I never once noticed the core difference. As long as your resort days are pow days and the majority of the usage is soft BC I say go for it, anything less than 70% touring I’d stick with enduro.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Trigger pulled...can’t wait! Already heard from Keith
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

For anyone still on the fence about cores, here’s the reply From Keith re: UL/Carbon/Veneer vs Enduro Carbon Veneer:

I think we should come back to the conversation once I get some weights on the proto pairs we are making now. The idea you have with either shift on enduro veneer or a lighter binding on a ul makes sense. I don't really have any issues with UL cores on fat powder skis even at the resort, figure they are fat and stiff enough that they hit a weight heavy enough to be just fine at the resort, and being they are powder skis the conditions probably dictate that dampness or deflection is not a problem.

I'll follow up with weights once we get some skis made, I'll also post up info on the product page once I have it.

Was with Keith today. The veneers are lighter tops based on the added strength they give the cores, allowing the cores to be a little thinner by like, I think he said .258 mm. I'm getting maple tops on a UL core. I'll have some pics next week when the pressing happens. If anyone decided they want in, you can mail Keith and beg for a spot before all the cores are done.

How much did it end up being with the UL/Veneer layup?

$1000

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    $1000
    Thanks, splat. I’ll have to sit this one out unfortunately.

First pair getting pressed right now. Keith opened up ordering on the Praxis page for a couple people who were late . Only for today if anyone wants in. He'll close ordering tonite. Pressing starts Monday.

Post weights once you get them!

FKNA!

Stoke level is high for these!

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Post weights once you get them!
    Original Kusala pair I gave keith to work from weight 10lbs. 4 oz. The first proto pair came in at 10 lbs 8 oz in nylon with enduro core. Keith thinks we'll save 1 lb on ul with veneer top and around 7 oz on the enduro core with veneer.

Thanks Pat. So should be:

Nylon/Carbon/Enduro: 10.5lb pair = 2380g/ski

Veneer/Carbon/Enduro: 10.06lb/pair = 2280g/ski

Veneer/Carbon/UL: 9.5lb/pair = 2155g/ski

Hmmm. Enduro core might be worth the extra 125g for me. Maybe with lighter binding for touring. Could be a good application for Lindahls’s frankentour bindings

Fucking Rad.