Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Kusala Pow By Praxis - Orders Close 10/17

Spun off this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...sala-Size-Poll

The page is up, orders are being taken for this limited edition kusala by praxis.
    Pressing late october, delivery mid - late november.
    Orders will close october 17.
    Best pow ski ever.

Name:  Kusalas.jpg
Views: 6627
Size:  42.0 KB

https://www.praxisskis.com/special-e...usala-pow-189/

Link is borked.

Apologies if I missed this in the other thread, but do we have an expected weight for these?

Link's broken. Is this build capped at a certain number of skis?

No cap on numbers, just a date sales end.

Link fixed.

I have zero need for these but want them.

Press a 183 bro in a 186.
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

So awesome to see these up on the Praxis page!!!!
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Also see that UL core is an option according to the page so that should make some people happy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ooh la lah

Life of a repo man is always intense.

Always a warm spot for PM Gear - 188 Bros were my first exposure to an indie brand. About a dozen pairs of indie skis later, makes me think that Splat is singularly responsible for more ski sales than any other individual on this forum (talk about creating addicts).
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

sent keith an email asking for an UL core option. he added it this morning - says you need to go with a veneer top in order for it to work.

question now for you kusala veterans (splat, others): i'm seriously ready to start saving money to be able to buy a pair, but will i be able to drive this ski? how demanding are the kusalas? i'm 6'0, 155 lbs, and while i am capable, i am not an expert level skier. i just don't wanna get this ski if it's gonna kick my ass and throw me around.

Dibs if they kick your ass!

I need to look at what people said about these more before deciding. I really like the idea of a stiff rockered pow ski, chipotle bananas or whatever have also caught my attention. But I'm not sure if I need these, I have GPOs as my everyday ski. Maybe I need a pow ski too?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Lol, just came here to say that so second in line if anyone doesn’t gel with theirs.
    Can’t decide if I really *need this ski in my quiver of pow skis. Guaranteed FOMO if I don’t do it. Feck!

The originals are sublime pow skis, so easy to ski

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    sent keith an email asking for an UL core option. he added it this morning - says you need to go with a veneer top in order for it to work.

question now for you kusala veterans (splat, others): i'm seriously ready to start saving money to be able to buy a pair, but will i be able to drive this ski? how demanding are the kusalas? i'm 6'0, 155 lbs, and while i am capable, i am not an expert level skier. i just don't wanna get this ski if it's gonna kick my ass and throw me around.
    You don't have to drive these skis. They're so damn easy and intuitive, it's as if you think about turning and they are already turning. I'd have to say that if ever there was a pow ski that required no pow experience and would be easy, it'd be the Kusala. For me, the thought that the Kusala would kick anybody's ass is hard to fathom.

Detrusor said it.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post

I need to look at what people said about these more before deciding. I really like the idea of a stiff rockered pow ski, chipotle bananas or whatever have also caught my attention. But I'm not sure if I need these, I have GPOs as my everyday ski. Maybe I need a pow ski too?
    If you've never toured on anything floatier than the gpo it's worth a taste. EDIT - I have 186 bmt 122's and am very interested in these as they're bigger and probs slightly stiffer

Question about how a standard layup handles chop. Would chop rating go

Billy goat > Kusala > Protest ? Or Protest > Kusala?

Deciding whether to jump through the mental gymnastics to get these in an inbounds layup or touring

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Spun off this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...sala-Size-Poll

The page is up, orders are being taken for this limited edition kusala by praxis.
    Pressing late october, delivery mid - late november.
    Orders will close october 17.
    Best pow ski ever.

Name:  Kusalas.jpg
Views: 6627
Size:  42.0 KB

Dude, Ive been politikin' for this for years. Since you were still pressing(well 191 actually, but let's not split hairs here).
    85 Hundo in mf'n plumbing this week and now resto(kitchen-bath) underway.
    Fuck!
    Gotta be a sign closing days my bday!
    Am I still in?
    No way I'm not!
    Praxis boys, will that UL core still be able to sleigh for a bigger dude, resort and tour w more than likely cast setup or am I better off with standard build?

Frictionless pow Slayer, of course I'm in.....
    Gonna be some shit poppin up in gear swap

The all carbon 186 Kusala is ~2000g on my scale. The 193 Chipotle Banana weighs in at ~2300g.

Guessing optimistically based on some back of the envelope interpolation, an enduro 2400g Kusala would be cool, and less would be a bonus.

Mass ratio of Enduro vs UL of various Praxis models seems to be around 1.0875:1. Estimated UL core would thus be 2200g, vs a 2400g enduro.

ok. perhaps overly wishful on my prior guess

I also am interested in the UL setup. Already ordered, and talking to Keith he said a veneer+UL combo takes about a pound off the skis. Seems to be in line with lucknau's wags. I still would like any weight data points that anyone can pile on. I am hoping to get it to slide in under 9 lbs.

Also, what say the collective for the best color wood veneer with the skis actually on the snow? I've never seen a real pair?

Quote Originally Posted by telelebowski View Post
    Also, what say the collective for the best color wood veneer with the skis actually on the snow? I've never seen a real pair?
    Pretty sure my Protests are oak (bought 'em used, so can't confirm) and they look great, but the cherry ones I've seen are my favorites.

I’d imagine the Kusala in enduro carbon would be about the same weight as the stock 192 protest. Protest a little longer, wider, but softer. So 2300g or so. UL maybe 2100

The stiffness of these things is where a lot of the weight is coming from. You all are a funny lot: "I want an ultra-fat touring ski, and it has to have a mass to surface area ratio that's competitive with the lightest boards on the market, because being a weight-weenie is trending hard. BUT, it also needs to have a flex like an I-beam, because I only ski 60+ miles per hour on my 200 gram pin bindings, especially when I'm deep in the backcountry."

I've been a touring weight weenie for years... ain't no trendy to it, glade. I also use metal clamps on 2500g skis.

It's ok to ask for desirable qualities. And I already said my earlier guess was off. Sounds like the UL is an option so that's probably the lightest we can expect without subbing carbon for core wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I've been a touring weight weenie for years... ain't no trendy to it, glade. I also use metal clamps on 2500g skis.

It's ok to ask for desirable qualities. And I already said my earlier guess was off. Sounds like the UL is an option so that's probably the lightest we can expect without subbing carbon for core wood.
    Yep, nothing trendy about it. I want to have my cake and eat it too. And if the ultralight core represents a small sacrifice in downhill performance, that's one that I am willing to make in favor of more pow laps. I also plan on putting a super light, all metal touring binding on these.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Not trying to piss in anyone's Cheerios, just an observation on how discerning and demanding the skiers here are in terms of the attributes they want in a ski.

I can't wait to see how these turn out, if they ski as nice as they're going to look being made by Keith, they'll be glorious.