Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    For me, this ski is fucking amazing. Cannot believe how fun this ski was through the changing conditions throughout the day. Mounted on the line, with Shifts. Have some slight reservations with the shifts. But the skis performed amazing in 20"+ of fresh, tracked, but the level of ease it is to ski in late day conditions was phenomenal. Turn up the speed and these just crush. Call me a fan boy, but Pat and Keith did another awesome collaboration.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    For me, this ski is fucking amazing. Cannot believe how fun this ski was through the changing conditions throughout the day. Mounted on the line, with Shifts. Have some slight reservations with the shifts. But the skis performed amazing in 20"+ of fresh, tracked, but the level of ease it is to ski in late day conditions was phenomenal. Turn up the speed and these just crush. Call me a fan boy, but Pat and Keith did another awesome collaboration.
    My sentiments too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Got some calls today after the storms that hit the Sierra finally broke to blue.
    Some of the same thoughts expressed as you said above, Yanos.

Skied mine all week, I don’t think I’ll ever be looking for a pow ski again. Kusala are my new “cold dead hands” ski

I've put three days on my 189 Kusalas.
    AKA Super Kusalas AKA Supersalas AKA Supasalas.
    Each in at least a foot of fresh snow.
    Two days in a foot plus of high density snow mixed with graupel (@Wolf Creek)
    One day in two feet give or take in ultra low density blower. (@ Jackson Hole)
    Absurdly light, saw a weather report referencing 4%.

They are straight up pow murder machines.
    Unlimited float.
    Incredible speed.
    Turn shape dial modulation is vast.
    Big face killers, yet happy and nimble in the trees.
    Although not as nimble and quick as the OG 186s, which are magic in the trees.
    But the 186s don't slay big lines as well.
    Extremely happy to have both.

Mounted @ -1.5.

Finally got some pow to use my Kusalas in, love 'em. I have the heavier version, mounted exactly per Splat's recommendation for my Vulcans. Figured it would be crowded so we headed pretty far back out, turned into a 10 mile day tour with about 5k vertical. These skis are a really great blend of easy to turn but with good stability at speed. I prefer them to my DPS Wailer 105 and Lotus 120s. Technique wise, short turns are easy with extension/retraction turns; medium or long radius turns just lay em on edge like you're groomer skiing. They are quite easy to ski. I thought i would need the vulcans but I think these would be fine with lightweight touring boots like my Scarpa Aliens. Really well done Splat, they're great. I'm putting in inserts so I can use them with DIN bindings at the resort, so more after I get more time on them.

Splat, you should bring back PM Gear and handle the marketing and office stuff, just have Keith make the skis. Seems like a win/win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Finally got some pow to use my Kusalas in, love 'em. I have the heavier version, mounted exactly per Splat's recommendation for my Vulcans. Figured it would be crowded so we headed pretty far back out, turned into a 10 mile day tour with about 5k vertical. These skis are a really great blend of easy to turn but with good stability at speed. I prefer them to my DPS Wailer 105 and Lotus 120s. Technique wise, short turns are easy with extension/retraction turns; medium or long radius turns just lay em on edge like you're groomer skiing. They are quite easy to ski. I thought i would need the vulcans but I think these would be fine with lightweight touring boots like my Scarpa Aliens. Really well done Splat, they're great. I'm putting in inserts so I can use them with DIN bindings at the resort, so more after I get more time on them.

Splat, you should bring back PM Gear and handle the marketing and office stuff, just have Keith make the skis. Seems like a win/win/win.
    That would be sweet!

Did you mount on the dot or in the -1.3 to -1.7 range that Splat mentioned upthread?
    When I compared my OG 186 to the new 189s I found the contact points (both front and rear) on the 189 were shifted back by about 1.3 cm.
    That and my OGs are mounted at -4mm to avoid previous holes and I love the way they ski.
    That's what influenced my -1.5 mount decision, which I'm happy with.

pfluffenmeister, you would have to ask Splat, he got out a tape measure and measured and squinted and measured and squinted for 5-10 minutes and made a mark. I am sceptical it makes all that much difference (sorry Splat), I think they would ski great a couple of cm back too, would just take a bit to adjust. In the BC, with tech boots and tired legs and only skiing 5-10k per day, I doubt I could tell which is which. At a resort with alpine boots and fresh legs, I probably could. The ski shape and flex is what matters, to me. And in this case, the shape and flex are perfect.

Gearing up for the next storm cycle!

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Gearing up for the next storm cycle!
    Noice!
    Looks good with black and gold.
    Birch veneer?

Looks sweet! Minty 155s!

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Noice!
    Looks good with black and gold.
    Birch veneer?
    Cherry. Looks a little lighter, maybe from the lighting above

Damn, those are HAWT!

Yes. Hawt.

Best looking setup so far this season

Pivots are mounted at 100.7 from tip, for 336 BSL. Two consecutive days so far, and they feel pretty natural to me. The mount location feels nice and balanced.

Yesterday was about 4 inches of deepening maritime snow on refrozen crust, and each run was more hospitable than the last. They started feeling pretty familiar while I was getting knocked around in the set up chop last night and then I remembered that my Lhasas are the basically same build (enduro carbon veneer 4/5 flex). It’s not a bad, out of control underdamping response in messy snow, just not heavy hitter damp. To be expected.

Today was anywhere from 6 to 24 inches plus another 6 throughout the day. Hip deep snow in the steep trees. In the deep, fresh chop they continued to pwn throughout the day.

Will probably spend a bunch more time on these. They’re a lot of fun. I think I might also end up going ahead with the plan to install CAST hardware and make them into a 50/50 setup.

Thanks for the stoke lucknau!

I CASTed mine. Skiing them soon hopefully

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4379AF37-46F9-4E26-B7AB-460AD3801750.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	452.8 KB 
ID:	362657

Damn those look goooood!!

Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Damn those look goooood!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

So nice you said it twice!

Nice rig! I didn’t know they made that binding with the original Forza colors.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I know a few people couldn't believe how well they landed in pow when launched.
    I believe it! I don't think I've been on a ski that stomps into deep pow more confidently (my OG super stiffs).

Want more reports.

Howdy,

For anyone who missed out on the run, I'm going to list my Praxis Kusalas on Gear Swap soon.

Props to Splat and Keith for making this ski happen. Glad I had a chance to support and check out the design.

These are stock nylon tops, mounted on the line with Wardens at 309 bsl. Skied a total of 4-5 hours at Alpine so like new, no scratches, etc.

Will post later with photos. PM if interested.

That ski will never leave my quiver, and I have friends interested. Known mags get first dibs but if they sit I’ll facilitate a deal for you.