Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseBrooklyn View Post
    I can't even imagine how long they'll be with half capacity lift/gondy.

Didn't someone start a thread last season of all the Epic Vail lift lines last year? Or was that on Reddit?
    Holy crap the stories I’ve heard about that day from folks who were there. A massive amount of heavy wet snow with very little steep stuff open. I’m betting there were fewer than 1,000 people who had the gear and skills to actually ski it well and enjoy it.

Maybe more like 100...

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    This really sucks for people who like to ski 5-6 days/wk, but only 2-3 hrs./day. I know so many who ski until 11:00-11:30 and then do other things
    We were talking about this in the "is the season already over" thread. Will locals be shaming other locals for taking a reservation then only skiing for 2 hours?

I predict a similar system will be in place at most major resorts. In a place like SLC this means you can't make a game time decision with your ikon pass based on traffic or accidents, you have to commit early.

Fuck COVID. Its gonna be another season of skinning.

If the intent is to spread out people, the reservations might even be time-of-day split -- like morning only, or afternoon only.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The first domino drops. Will places like LCC, Big Sky, Jackson, ect... follow suit? You have to imagine they will, because whoever does not have a reservation system is going to be inundated with an unmanageable shitshow on a pow day. I'm curious to see how Ikon handles their side of this now. I'm sure their press release will be out before the end of next week.

The critical metric is: "How many days would ski area XYZ sell out at 50% capacity"? My thesis is very few days OTHER than holidays and peak Saturdays. If it's not at capacity, reservations are more a formality than a rare commodity.

Also, if a particular day is not at capacity, I would expect anyone can make a reservation up to and maybe even during that ski day. This all real-time app and web based. No need for a cut off, other than "we are at capacity".

I think that places like Vail, PCMR and Whistler will be at reservation capacity everyday of the season.
    We all knew that it was coming, but today it stings.
    This has motivated me to purchase a Solitude parking pass. Between IKON and EPIC, I expect to ski someplace whenever I want, but will incur several headaches in the process
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

That is the nut to be cracked, what will "capacity" be and how quickly will it fill up? Will all the weekend and holiday spaces get taken by the early priority reservations, or will the hold some back to be released later?

When A-Basin reopened the capacity was pretty low. With only two lifts running it needed to be, plus they were being very cautious. I entered their lottery 6 times and only got 1 reservation.

The new system is going to be a boon for higher-priced day pass holders at the expense of season pass holders.

I just read the FAQ and it states that Vail Resorts won't be selling walk-up window tickets at any of their resorts. All day tickets must be purchased online or over the phone and are subject to availability. However, day ticket customers will have the advantage of purchasing weeks/months in advance and thereby guaranteeing their dates. Whereas the Season Pass holders will only be able to reserve one week in advance.

Vail resorts wins big on this because they get to lock in new revenue form higher-priced day tickets, while suppressing Season Pass holders.

I can see this seriously fucking over a lot of season pass holders. Imagine a 10 day weather forecast predicting a massive storm 8-10 days out. Powder-chasers load up on day passes. Pass holders try to book 7 days out, but get cucked by the capacity limit.

Joel better be right in his forecasts then...

I think it could go either way. Day-ticket people could book in advance thinking a storm is coming, and then it fizzles or hits a day or two later or earlier. Other side of coin is lots of people don't like skiing powder or storms and will book ahead if the weather looks sunny. Total toss-up.

I think there is a very good chance the reservation system stays in place after Covid ends. They'll sell restricted "season passes" that offer the ability to reserve limited spaces on the mountain in advance with blackout days and also have some like $4k+ unrestricted walk up and ski pass.

This is the death of skiing as we know. Forget someone going skiing for the first time on a whim. The short term I bet it works out nicely, as there will be less traffic on the hill, long term I think participation will continue to dwindle and make skiing unsustainable once many of the boomers kick the bucket/stop skiing.

I don’t think vail or any of the resorts are going to make money on this. Just trying to open and protect their downside. Just sucks for all sides.
    Glad I picked up a zero degree bag. Even backcountry is gonna require more time and effort to get out and away!

Fuck!!! Fuck you Epic pass/VAIL!! FUCK YOU!!!

What does this mean???? why isn't this information posted???

Throughout the season, pass holders will be able to make as many week-of reservations as their pass type and availability allow.

FUCK YOU VAIL!!! FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had such a good thing going... 2-3 hours on a pow day morning, and then haul ass to work.... FUCK!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I think there is a very good chance the reservation system stays in place after Covid ends. They'll sell restricted "season passes" that offer the ability to reserve limited spaces on the mountain in advance with blackout days and also have some like $4k+ unrestricted walk up and ski pass.
    Its already been said once in this thread but bears repeating:

You shut your whore mouth!
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Employee and dependents will not have to make reservations. They can go whenever except on blackout days.
    Blackout dates - 12/4/20 - 4/4/21

But don’t they care about all the powder techs who sold in the city and headed for #Mtnlife.

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    This is reasonable under the circumstances but will result in skiers like me rolling their passes over to next season and skiing BC all this year. If I was a skier who lived far from the mountains and was only planning on skiing 7 days this season it would be fine but I've busted my ass and structured my life to be able to ski on a much more ad-hoc basis and this format does not allow for that.
    ^yep

Not inspiring me to buy a Kirkwood Pass. No way I can chance not being able to ski even though I have a pass.

I wonder what weekend warrior home owners will do. What if your kid is on ski team? I know at our hill it is mostly the wealthy 2nd homeowners who have their kids in the free ride teams. It has become like day care for them. Will the rich be able to guarantee daycare for their kids so they can ski by themselves every Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Will the rich be able to guarantee daycare for their kids so they can ski by themselves every Saturday?
    I would say no way.

Vail Resorts RESERVED SKIING! It's gonna be EPIC!

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseBrooklyn View Post
    I can't even imagine how long they'll be with half capacity lift/gondy.

Didn't someone start a thread last season of all the Epic Vail lift lines last year? Or was that on Reddit?
    Powder day liftline WITH 4 ppl per chair.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2895.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	313.5 KB 
ID:	338296

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Employee and dependents will not have to make reservations. They can go whenever except on blackout days.
    Smart move. They need employees.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Blackout dates - 12/4/20 - 4/4/21
    Whoops.

Who the hell will work there then?

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    Fuck!!! Fuck you Epic pass/VAIL!! FUCK YOU!!!

What does this mean???? why isn't this information posted???

Throughout the season, pass holders will be able to make as many week-of reservations as their pass type and availability allow.

FUCK YOU VAIL!!! FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had such a good thing going... 2-3 hours on a pow day morning, and then haul ass to work.... FUCK!!!!!!

The irony of your username isn’t missed here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Whoops.

Who the hell will work there then?
    I kid...

Really? I didn't read the whole thing. Employees get a pass and first priority? Sheeeit, maybe time for Benny to do that liftie thing.

No, no, groomer. Yeah. Ten mm edible, Spotify over the stereo, plenty of water. Yeah.