Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44
Results 1,076 to 1,095 of 1095
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    ^^^^ yeah you are missing something

No j1s this year........local employees have some leverage for once
    Shitty pay for front line jobs....... especially during a fucking pandemic. My 17 yr old is a ticket checker at Sierra and is just fine making shit pay....... but the 30+ yr old troller making a similar wage with much more responsibility should be making a living wage
    Yup. A senior patroller can't even afford a house in most ski towns. Something's gotta change.

It's always been a low paying job because there was always a ton of people of all ages who wanted to do it, no matter the pay. Hell, we're talking about volunteers here, and I'll bet they have a ton more skills than some ambassador. But now, hey, in times of plague, maybe that pool of talent isn't so willing.

man

you really are a fucking idiot
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Didn't get your reservation?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I wish some media outlet would run with that story like they did with Sturges in the summer, but, rich liberal journalists ski.
    What a Maroon!!

This from the Tahoe thread. I hope Vail is reading this because they need to fix it now. If the line for the ticket window is extending 100+ yards at 10:15AM on a non-holiday, they are f-ing nuts if they think this is what a reservation system is supposed to accomplish during a pandemic. What happens when all those people finally make it up on the hill?

I gave up on skiing Epic resorts for now and just ski at Sierra, which does a much better job with crowd control. It's questionable whether I even go Epic next year at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Well everyone arrived again today, made the mistake of going to the end of Keller at 10:15 to ride Van Sickle. Crazy on ski run Blvd from people trying to grab the last couple street parking spots as the California lot was full. Lift line a buddy took a photo of had people all the way out in the parking lot, never once seen that before ever, at least there limiting the number of folk that can ski, NOT.

Edit: this was the line to pick up a pass, line on gunbarrel was just backed up to the first chair lift, which is still stupid long

Attachment 357095
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yup. A senior patroller can't even afford a house in most ski towns. Something's gotta change.
    Indeed. Need moar immigrant visas to keep costs down.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/pande...ountain-towns/

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Indeed. Need moar immigrant visas to keep costs down.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/pande...ountain-towns/

Wait. What is going on there? on one hand, they are complaining about high unemployment in mountain towns, and then somebody else says that we need more work visas, so more immigrants can flood the market and, well, create more unemployment? That's incredibly whiney, dumb, and/or, just nefarious. Vail seems to be saying, we want our incredibly cheap and scared to be deported any day so they work like dogs immigrants back.

And, fuck, if housing is a damn problem, build some more employee housing! You're saying your business depends on it, so, get your shit together and do it. But, that would mean some cube dweller down in the front range would have to change toilets every now and then, instead of build another spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    This from the Tahoe thread. I hope Vail is reading this because they need to fix it now.
    Tahoe - 'twas ever thus...

The Winter That Wouldn't Quit

Get a grip. The average cost of a house in Big Sky is around 600K, you may be able to find a condo for 300K. Same with most ski towns. That means to me that if you want to reach the goal you stated you will need to be paying out at 35-40 bucks an hour.

While I tend to agree with you as a former senior ski patroller, that is not reality. Sorry.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Get a grip. The average cost of a house in Big Sky is around 600K, you may be able to find a condo for 300K. Same with most ski towns. That means to me that if you want to reach the goal you stated you will need to be paying out at 35-40 bucks an hour.

While I tend to agree with you as a former senior ski patroller, that is not reality. Sorry.
    What kind of pay does a senior patroller actually make? Gotta say I don't have a clue.

I left in 2013 Y/R F/T making around 26 bucks an hour, insurance (50%), access to a 401K, and a few other perks. I was the Director and managed about 40 patrollers. Asst. Dir. made about 22 an hour, SS Dir. made about 20 an hour. Senior staff made 15-18 an hour, starting wage was 12. We paid what was then considered a good wage.

At places like Aspen/JHMR it is not uncommon for a senior patroller to pull in 25 an hour.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I left in 2013 Y/R F/T making around 26 bucks an hour, insurance (50%), access to a 401K, and a few other perks. I was the Director and managed about 40 patrollers. Asst. Dir. made about 22 an hour, SS Dir. made about 20 an hour. Senior staff made 15-18 an hour, starting wage was 12. We paid what was then considered a good wage.

At places like Aspen/JHMR it is not uncommon for a senior patroller to pull in 25 an hour.
    Thanks. I was hoping it would be more than that, but can't say I'm shocked.

Unfortunately Benny was right when he wrote that there are plenty of warm bodies willing to work for shit pay to do the job.

I bet the life guards on Baywatch had the same problems.

Unfortunately Benny was right when he wrote that there are plenty of warm bodies willing to work for shit pay to do the job.

I bet the life guards on Baywatch had the same problems.
    Actually, not really: https://californiapolicycenter.org/100k-club/

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Same in NYC, believe it or not. Probably not as many, but, that's a really good union. Really good. Knew one who got paid year round, and then was a ski instructor at Hunter Mountain in the winter. Needless to say, he had a full sex life.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i know a lot of senior trollers who own houses
    but not on a 6 month job income
    if you have a good summer life skill that generates income
    and manage your money and have good credit
    a house in slc isnt that unatainable
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

While I agree on all your points, SLC is a city, not a ski town.

A senior patroller can't even afford a house in most ski towns.

Vail Resorts Refusing Refunds to Customers Unable to Use Epic Pass Due to Covid-19 Travel Restrictions
    https://snowbrains.com/vail-resorts-refusing-refunds
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Vail Resorts Refusing Refunds to Customers Unable to Use Epic Pass Due to Covid-19 Travel Restrictions
    https://snowbrains.com/vail-resorts-refusing-refunds
    Katz is a Kunt