Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Man, I'm often a glass half empty kinda guy, but I'm thinking this will end up being a big nothing burger outside of a few days at a few resorts.

All depends on;

A. What is considered safe capacity.

B. When they hit that capacity, what will the lift lines look like. (from space)
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

This is so fkn whack. How long til Ikon announces the same thing? I’m glad I didn’t buy a pass yet, it looks like I’m headed for Miami this winter.

While many consider PCMR boring as F**K, it is always a good day to ski a couple laps on Empire, head over to McKonkeys, then take to gondola to 9990, back to Scott's, Jup, McKonkeys, Empire, Stein's, Jordanelle and home. I wonder whether if this is attempted w/out an Epic reservation, the pass will not scan on the PCMR side of things?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

it is pretty wack that covid and safe etc, being applied to getting on a chair 40-100+ feet in the air w boards strapped to your feet in sub freezing temps, then going 40-60 mph downhill flying over rocks and dodging trees. stay safe peeps. be covid aware.

Quote Originally Posted by ChunderBumps View Post
    This is so fkn whack. How long til Ikon announces the same thing? I’m glad I didn’t buy a pass yet, it looks like I’m headed for Miami this winter.
    Hopefully Ikon comes out and says they are refunding anyone that paid the $150 up charge for Aspen/Jackson and it is no longer an option this year. Eliminating the Ikoners would really help those mountains and real customers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

What alternative to Vail's plan would you suggest? Seems like the alternatives are reservations or hours-long lines.

Reservations, or not, there are still going to be long lines and carnage in the base areas of places where initial access is limited to 1-3 lifts.
    Until there is a vaccine, staying opened is tenuous. I give them props for effort, but the answer is stated above. This year, there should be no IKON, Epic or Mountain Collective alternative. Season passes should be limited to individual mountains, and reservations should be mandatory and limited to season pass holders.

For Utahn's this is a good year to re-discover Pow Mow, Snowbasin and Sundance. Only other places with easy access will be high dollar memberships like the Yellowstone Club.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Then the economics say that season passes should double or even more in price. Day tickets are money.

Vail Resorts RESERVED SKIING! It's gonna be EPIC!

Just running through a day at a place like Breck in my mind:

-Park in free lot. Wait for half empty bus to take me to the gondola (who knows how long this wait could be)

-wait in staggeringly long line for the gondola as they load singles alone and and then related small parties in.

-arrive at Peak 7, en route for Peak 6 or the T bar. Horrendous lineup at the 6 pack, again loading 2 singles per chair and small groups separate. Add this to the normal lift line queue bullshit.

-Eventually arrive at the top and traverse over to the Tbar, where they are loading 1 person per Tbar unless related. Line goes up the slope.

That could be, what, well over an hour and a half, without actually making a real turn?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ... Eventually arrive at the top and traverse over to the Tbar, where they are loading 1 person per Tbar unless related. Line goes up the slope.

That could be, what, well over an hour and a half, without actually making a real turn?
    At very least.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Yup. You might be wishing for that.

Ooohh fun sounds like backcountry skiing!!!

Just running through a day at a place like Breck in my mind:

-Park in free lot. Wait for half empty bus to take me to the gondola (who knows how long this wait could be)

-wait in staggeringly long line for the gondola as they load singles alone and and then related small parties in.

-arrive at Peak 7, en route for Peak 6 or the T bar. Horrendous lineup at the 6 pack, again loading 2 singles per chair and small groups separate. Add this to the normal lift line queue bullshit.

-Eventually arrive at the top and traverse over to the Tbar, where they are loading 1 person per Tbar unless related. Line goes up the slope.

That's a worse case scenario on a Saturday. If you're gonna ski a weekend at Breck, you have to plan better than that.

But-
    Why are you waiting in a huge line at the parking lot and gondola, didn't get there early enough?
    Why are you riding the Independence Chair to get to the t-bar....that's not how you do it.
    In my thousands of t-bar rides, I've come to realize that at least 75% of riders are already doubled up.

I have no reason to believe that non-powder weekdays at Breck won't be much different than they were. Those are the best days at Breck, anyways.....skiing the high-alpine wind-buff with no lift lines.
    Old's Cool.

LeeLau just posted this in the Whistler thread, but some of it applies to all Vail resorts and there's lots of good information:
    https://www.mountainlifemedia.ca/202...eOIrVD-3Wifh2Y
    The part about the priority days was news to me:
    ML: So each passholder gets seven “priority days” they can reserve before December 7. Those can be any day of the season. It might be Christmas for some, or all of Spring Break, or whatever. For me it will probably be 7 Mondays, ‘cause that is the day my kid skips school and we shred.
    Marc: That’s right, and after you use the first Monday, you can reserve another priority day. It’s a like a bank account. Once you use a day it goes back into your bank to be reassigned.
    If this is true it makes sense to reserve your priority days early in the season because as you use them you get more. I thought you got seven priority days for the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What alternative to Vail's plan would you suggest? Seems like the alternatives are reservations or hours-long lines.
    My plan would be to just say fuck it and open fully, but I know that isn’t kosher nor politically correct. I’m just hoping Biden wins and the virus disappears soon after.

My plan would be to just say fuck it and open fully, but I know that isn’t kosher nor politically correct. I’m just hoping Biden wins and the virus disappears soon after.

It’s a fucking worldwide pandemic that the US is doing a disgraceful job of dealing with. Sorry, it’s not going away Nov. 4th.

Ya it was a joke but maybe also a false reality I’m sipping into. I’m over it, just thinking only in hopes and dreams now. I already had the virus with no symptoms, so just waiting it out.

I’m just hoping Biden wins and the virus disappears soon after.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Vail Resorts RESERVED SKIING! It's gonna be EPIC!

I know this is a skiing forum but keep things in perspective, folks. This thread is the definition of a (relatively) wealthy 1st world problem.

Remember - there are people dying by the hundreds of thousands. Almost a million dead worldwide WITH physical distancing. Approaching 200k dead in the US alone (congrats - almost 25% of the worlds covid deaths in less than 5% of the population with the most wealth in the world. That can’t be easy to accomplish). While I want to ski hard as much as anyone this season, surely we can recognize that skiing is not the most important thing this winter? And if you don’t like having to make reservations, don’t ski the resort.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    That's a worse case scenario on a Saturday. If you're gonna ski a weekend at Breck, you have to plan better than that.

But-
    Why are you waiting in a huge line at the parking lot and gondola, didn't get there early enough?
    Why are you riding the Independence Chair to get to the t-bar....that's not how you do it.
    In my thousands of t-bar rides, I've come to realize that at least 75% of riders are already doubled up.

I have no reason to believe that non-powder weekdays at Breck won't be much different than they were. Those are the best days at Breck, anyways.....skiing the high-alpine wind-buff with no lift lines.
    Hope you’re right. Although, as usual, I’m not going near Breck on a Saturday or holiday.

Hope you’re right. Although, as usual, I’m not going near Breck on a Saturday or holiday.
    Truth, I live by the same rule. Sunday afternoons can be great tho after the Dtowners have left. Friends don't let friends ski Breck on Saturdays.
    Old's Cool.

I'll probably be shifting my schedule to allow for even more weekday riding this season. Also shopping for snowmobiles.

You go to Breck on a Saturday, you get what you deserve.

Another real problem no one is discussing here...who else has MAJOR fogging problems if their mouth/nose is covered? I think I'm gonna be skiing in sunglasses all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    I know this is a skiing forum but keep things in perspective, folks. This thread is the definition of a (relatively) wealthy 1st world problem.

Remember - there are people dying by the hundreds of thousands. Almost a million dead worldwide WITH physical distancing. Approaching 200k dead in the US alone (congrats - almost 25% of the worlds covid deaths in less than 5% of the population with the most wealth in the world. That can’t be easy to accomplish). While I want to ski hard as much as anyone this season, surely we can recognize that skiing is not the most important thing this winter? And if you don’t like having to make reservations, don’t ski the resort.
    While that's half-right, for a lot of communities with economies built around ski-area dollars (direct and indirect), it's not just about skiing. If the ski areas can figure out how to make things work in a way that reasonably mitigates Covid risk while still getting people to spend their time and money on skiing, the local economy keeps functioning (albeit probably not at full speed). If not, either they miss the mitigation techniques, create a hot spot, and then the economy shuts down; or they don't manage to get enough customers in the door, and that shuts the economy down. My wife is a school teacher; I told her not to worry about this year, but I am worried about next year's school budget if the solid waste hits the ventilation device this winter.