Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 1095
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    4,034
    Man, I'm often a glass half empty kinda guy, but I'm thinking this will end up being a big nothing burger outside of a few days at a few resorts.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    15,509
    All depends on;

    A. What is considered safe capacity.

    B. When they hit that capacity, what will the lift lines look like. (from space)
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    20
    This is so fkn whack. How long til Ikon announces the same thing? Iím glad I didnít buy a pass yet, it looks like Iím headed for Miami this winter.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    10,603
    While many consider PCMR boring as F**K, it is always a good day to ski a couple laps on Empire, head over to McKonkeys, then take to gondola to 9990, back to Scott's, Jup, McKonkeys, Empire, Stein's, Jordanelle and home. I wonder whether if this is attempted w/out an Epic reservation, the pass will not scan on the PCMR side of things?
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,205
    it is pretty wack that covid and safe etc, being applied to getting on a chair 40-100+ feet in the air w boards strapped to your feet in sub freezing temps, then going 40-60 mph downhill flying over rocks and dodging trees. stay safe peeps. be covid aware.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,155
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunderBumps View Post
    This is so fkn whack. How long til Ikon announces the same thing? Iím glad I didnít buy a pass yet, it looks like Iím headed for Miami this winter.
    Hopefully Ikon comes out and says they are refunding anyone that paid the $150 up charge for Aspen/Jackson and it is no longer an option this year. Eliminating the Ikoners would really help those mountains and real customers.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    15,676
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunderBumps View Post
    This is so fkn whack. How long til Ikon announces the same thing? I’m glad I didn’t buy a pass yet, it looks like I’m headed for Miami this winter.
    What alternative to Vail's plan would you suggest? Seems like the alternatives are reservations or hours-long lines.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    10,603
    Reservations, or not, there are still going to be long lines and carnage in the base areas of places where initial access is limited to 1-3 lifts.
    Until there is a vaccine, staying opened is tenuous. I give them props for effort, but the answer is stated above. This year, there should be no IKON, Epic or Mountain Collective alternative. Season passes should be limited to individual mountains, and reservations should be mandatory and limited to season pass holders.

    For Utahn's this is a good year to re-discover Pow Mow, Snowbasin and Sundance. Only other places with easy access will be high dollar memberships like the Yellowstone Club.
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    45,332
    Then the economics say that season passes should double or even more in price. Day tickets are money.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    8,156

    Vail Resorts RESERVED SKIING! It's gonna be EPIC!

    Just running through a day at a place like Breck in my mind:

    -Park in free lot. Wait for half empty bus to take me to the gondola (who knows how long this wait could be)

    -wait in staggeringly long line for the gondola as they load singles alone and and then related small parties in.

    -arrive at Peak 7, en route for Peak 6 or the T bar. Horrendous lineup at the 6 pack, again loading 2 singles per chair and small groups separate. Add this to the normal lift line queue bullshit.

    -Eventually arrive at the top and traverse over to the Tbar, where they are loading 1 person per Tbar unless related. Line goes up the slope.

    That could be, what, well over an hour and a half, without actually making a real turn?

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    4,143
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ... Eventually arrive at the top and traverse over to the Tbar, where they are loading 1 person per Tbar unless related. Line goes up the slope.

    That could be, what, well over an hour and a half, without actually making a real turn?
    At very least.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    45,332
    Yup. You might be wishing for that.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    funland
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    That could be, what, well over an hour and a half, without actually making a real turn?
    Ooohh fun sounds like backcountry skiing!!!

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ten Mile Vistas
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Just running through a day at a place like Breck in my mind:

    -Park in free lot. Wait for half empty bus to take me to the gondola (who knows how long this wait could be)

    -wait in staggeringly long line for the gondola as they load singles alone and and then related small parties in.

    -arrive at Peak 7, en route for Peak 6 or the T bar. Horrendous lineup at the 6 pack, again loading 2 singles per chair and small groups separate. Add this to the normal lift line queue bullshit.

    -Eventually arrive at the top and traverse over to the Tbar, where they are loading 1 person per Tbar unless related. Line goes up the slope.

    That could be, what, well over an hour and a half, without actually making a real turn?
    That's a worse case scenario on a Saturday. If you're gonna ski a weekend at Breck, you have to plan better than that.

    But-
    Why are you waiting in a huge line at the parking lot and gondola, didn't get there early enough?
    Why are you riding the Independence Chair to get to the t-bar....that's not how you do it.
    In my thousands of t-bar rides, I've come to realize that at least 75% of riders are already doubled up.

    I have no reason to believe that non-powder weekdays at Breck won't be much different than they were. Those are the best days at Breck, anyways.....skiing the high-alpine wind-buff with no lift lines.
    Old's Cool.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    21,686
    LeeLau just posted this in the Whistler thread, but some of it applies to all Vail resorts and there's lots of good information:
    https://www.mountainlifemedia.ca/202...eOIrVD-3Wifh2Y
    The part about the priority days was news to me:
    ML: So each passholder gets seven “priority days” they can reserve before December 7. Those can be any day of the season. It might be Christmas for some, or all of Spring Break, or whatever. For me it will probably be 7 Mondays, ‘cause that is the day my kid skips school and we shred.
    Marc: That’s right, and after you use the first Monday, you can reserve another priority day. It’s a like a bank account. Once you use a day it goes back into your bank to be reassigned.
    If this is true it makes sense to reserve your priority days early in the season because as you use them you get more. I thought you got seven priority days for the entire season.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What alternative to Vail's plan would you suggest? Seems like the alternatives are reservations or hours-long lines.
    My plan would be to just say fuck it and open fully, but I know that isnít kosher nor politically correct. Iím just hoping Biden wins and the virus disappears soon after.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    8,156
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunderBumps View Post
    My plan would be to just say fuck it and open fully, but I know that isnít kosher nor politically correct. Iím just hoping Biden wins and the virus disappears soon after.

    Itís a fucking worldwide pandemic that the US is doing a disgraceful job of dealing with. Sorry, itís not going away Nov. 4th.

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    20
    Ya it was a joke but maybe also a false reality Iím sipping into. Iím over it, just thinking only in hopes and dreams now. I already had the virus with no symptoms, so just waiting it out.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    12,757
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunderBumps View Post
    I’m just hoping Biden wins and the virus disappears soon after.
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,979

    Vail Resorts RESERVED SKIING! It's gonna be EPIC!

    I know this is a skiing forum but keep things in perspective, folks. This thread is the definition of a (relatively) wealthy 1st world problem.

    Remember - there are people dying by the hundreds of thousands. Almost a million dead worldwide WITH physical distancing. Approaching 200k dead in the US alone (congrats - almost 25% of the worlds covid deaths in less than 5% of the population with the most wealth in the world. That canít be easy to accomplish). While I want to ski hard as much as anyone this season, surely we can recognize that skiing is not the most important thing this winter? And if you donít like having to make reservations, donít ski the resort.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    8,156
    Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    That's a worse case scenario on a Saturday. If you're gonna ski a weekend at Breck, you have to plan better than that.

    But-
    Why are you waiting in a huge line at the parking lot and gondola, didn't get there early enough?
    Why are you riding the Independence Chair to get to the t-bar....that's not how you do it.
    In my thousands of t-bar rides, I've come to realize that at least 75% of riders are already doubled up.

    I have no reason to believe that non-powder weekdays at Breck won't be much different than they were. Those are the best days at Breck, anyways.....skiing the high-alpine wind-buff with no lift lines.
    Hope youíre right. Although, as usual, Iím not going near Breck on a Saturday or holiday.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ten Mile Vistas
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Hope you’re right. Although, as usual, I’m not going near Breck on a Saturday or holiday.
    Truth, I live by the same rule. Sunday afternoons can be great tho after the Dtowners have left. Friends don't let friends ski Breck on Saturdays.
    Old's Cool.

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,643
    I'll probably be shifting my schedule to allow for even more weekday riding this season. Also shopping for snowmobiles.

    You go to Breck on a Saturday, you get what you deserve.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    2,756
    Another real problem no one is discussing here...who else has MAJOR fogging problems if their mouth/nose is covered? I think I'm gonna be skiing in sunglasses all winter.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bethel, Maine
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    I know this is a skiing forum but keep things in perspective, folks. This thread is the definition of a (relatively) wealthy 1st world problem.

    Remember - there are people dying by the hundreds of thousands. Almost a million dead worldwide WITH physical distancing. Approaching 200k dead in the US alone (congrats - almost 25% of the worlds covid deaths in less than 5% of the population with the most wealth in the world. That can’t be easy to accomplish). While I want to ski hard as much as anyone this season, surely we can recognize that skiing is not the most important thing this winter? And if you don’t like having to make reservations, don’t ski the resort.
    While that's half-right, for a lot of communities with economies built around ski-area dollars (direct and indirect), it's not just about skiing. If the ski areas can figure out how to make things work in a way that reasonably mitigates Covid risk while still getting people to spend their time and money on skiing, the local economy keeps functioning (albeit probably not at full speed). If not, either they miss the mitigation techniques, create a hot spot, and then the economy shuts down; or they don't manage to get enough customers in the door, and that shuts the economy down. My wife is a school teacher; I told her not to worry about this year, but I am worried about next year's school budget if the solid waste hits the ventilation device this winter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •