Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    What happens if you have a season pass, don't have a res, so you borrow your buddy's season pass when he finishes his half day and goes to work?

Will this be the punishment if caught?

Attachment 338356
    Well, since you are required to ware a facemask, how could they tell who is behind the mask?
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Given resort avariciousness I'm kind of surprised there isn't a refundable (??) deposit required up front for reservations, even with a pass, to control the no-shows.

What about the moguls though?
    Friggin endangered moguls....
    WON’T SOMEONE THINK OF THE ENDANGERED MOGULS?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    What about the moguls though?
    Friggin endangered moguls....
    WON’T SOMEONE THINK OF THE ENDANGERED MOGULS?!?
    I heard you have to pre-order moguls.

Makes sense, why would they bring them all out of storage with the risk they just sit there and rot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’ll have one tight fast 30 second zipperline, hold the ice, hold the check walls, no kickers needed, anywhere but under the chair plz&thx

All of this crying and hand wringing is going to seem silly when the second wave hits and the resorts never open.

I’ll have one tight fast 30 second zipperline, hold the ice, hold the check walls, no kickers needed, anywhere but under the chair plz&thx
    That sounds great.

I'm in. Never thought I'd miss moguls as much as I do right now.

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking with mandatory face coverings this would be the easiest year ever to share a pass with someone who even only slightly looks like you.

seriously,,,, who wants to go halvsies on a pass this year?

I am trying to process my choice here. My kids have scheduled their days around getting out of school early to ski. I never ski open to close. Will the lines be so astronomically long, that the pain outweighs the pleasure? Is the ability to get up on the mountain and walk laps better than just accessing backcountry. I don't have all of my kids trained tot he point I trust their judgement on powder fever backcountry.

Covid Sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    All of this crying and hand wringing is going to seem silly when the second wave hits and the resorts never open.
    Is it bad a little part of me almost wishes this to be true, just so Epic and ikon go bankrupt and sell off mountains back to private ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    Is it bad a little part of me almost wishes this to be true, just so Epic and ikon go bankrupt and sell off mountains back to private ownership?
    And all of the local businesses suffer/close as well......fucking sweet, bro.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    You understand what is happening with ski town properties right now. Manhattan and Cali all want to be here. They unfortunately are not going bankrupt. Properties are selling site unseen.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    And all of the local businesses suffer/close as well......fucking sweet, bro.
    They'll survive. Killington was bankrupt for a few years recently and the access road still exists. Bankrupt doesn't mean closed.

I think they are going to plan for a bunch of no-shows and adjust how man reservations can be made after seeing the data for a few weeks. Won't matter if people don't show if they do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    You understand what is happening with ski town properties right now. Manhattan and Cali all want to be here. They unfortunately are not going bankrupt. Properties are selling site unseen.
    And what happens when the lifts dont spin and the bars close? Or, horror of horrors, these Aholes have to win a lottery every fucking day of the season to go ski, just like the peasents.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    They'll survive. Killington was bankrupt for a few years recently and the access road still exists. Bankrupt doesn't mean closed.
    He was supporting the idea of the ski areas closing due to COVID in hopes of bankrupting VR. Operating while bankrupt doesn't matter if you're closed because of COVID. Closed ski area = no out of town visitors = local businesses suffer BIG TIME.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I think they are going to plan for a bunch of no-shows and adjust how man reservations can be made after seeing the data for a few weeks. Won't matter if people don't show if they do it right.
    Until everybody actually shows up on a powder day...

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    He was supporting the idea of the ski areas closing due to COVID in hopes of bankrupting VR. Operating while bankrupt doesn't matter if you're closed because of COVID. Closed ski area = no out of town visitors = local businesses suffer BIG TIME.
    First world problem. Seriously. Theres a shitload of Americans who will have much more basic survival concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    First world problem. Seriously. Theres a shitload of Americans who will have much more basic survival concerns.
    Being able to make a living for yourself and support your family is a first world problem? Geezus christ, Benny. If the ski areas close or never open, they'll be plenty of locals here just trying to survive.
    Last edited by cmsummit; 08-28-2020 at 12:06 PM.
    Old's Cool.

I don't want my friends who work in the industry to suffer. I think the real estate arm of Vail is thriving. I understand many have been and are out of work. My comments aren't in support of the man over the little guy. My comment was purely "if they never spin a lift this year, Vail will be here next year." I would love if the pre talisker owners could take Park City back and manage it like it was before they didn't pay the lease, but it is not reality. Reality is my kids smallest class size has gone up by 15 kids because New York and California are all finding ways to live here and escape the covid reality of the city. Wealth is mobile and it is pouring into ski towns right now. Whether taking residence in second homes or buying here, that is the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Until everybody actually shows up on a powder day...
    Until we know what's the max amount of people allowed on slope each day, and how many people are on slope on a normal unrestricted powder day, and how they load lifts, no one knows what happens when 'everybody actually shows up on a powder day'

I would guess lines will be long on pow days but things will stay untracked longer, if there is a significant restriction on skier numbers.

Thread theme song

https://youtu.be/ADwVvT7-5_0

This is basically my whole ski life, from childhood through last season. That program of fitting a few hours on the hill every day into the rest of life, that’s skiing to me, that’s being a skier vs being a touron.

But I guess it’s also been a lifetime of businessy fucks constantly making it obvious that since my version of skiing isn’t making them rich, it’s meaningless to them...so Vail taking the initiative to ratfuck the core of ski town everyday skiers is hardly surprising.
    Yup, I'm the same for many years. I go make turns for 2 - 3 hours when I have time, that is, no meetings or urgent tasks. I can't foresee planning ahead for reservations; I just go when the opportunity exists. I go Mon, Tue, Wed, Thr, and Sun, and staying away from the Friday and Saturday madness, especially the latter.

They have to have enough capacity to make running the resort profitable, which is typically the weekends.

I am gonna guess that most non-holiday weekdays will not be at capacity and you can jump on your phone last minute and make a reservation as you are putting on your boots

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)