Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Powder Touring Skis?

As the days get shorter, I’m thinking more and more of skiing, and of course some new ski gear. With all that money I’m saving by not travelling, I figure I should treat myself to a new pair of powder touring skis. Models I’m currently considering for big days in soft snow include:

DPS Pagoda 112 Tour 184cm.
    112mm 1560gm, 15m. It’s an easy turning unsinkable shape that I already know and love, with big claims being made about being being both light weight and damp. Most expensive.

G3 SLAYr 114 185cm
    114mm, 1660gm, 22.7m. Light weight, fat, surfy, stable, Canadian made, cheapest.

WNDR Alpine Intuition 110 Reverse Camber 185cm
    110mm, 1800gm, 22.5m. Forward mounted.

They’re all pretty similar, and I can get deals on each of them, but am wondering what the collective wisdom might be on this vital subject.

Down CD 114L should be on your short list ... only in 189 however (if only they made a 182 ... sigh). I think they're shipping to the US these days (without the need for the annual group buy).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Down CD 114L should be on your short list ... only in 189 however (if only they made a 182 ... sigh). I think they're shipping to the US these days (without the need for the annual group buy).

... Thom
    Those really have my attention. I am wondering about the flex pattern though - are the tails really dramatically stiffer than the shovels, like their graphic seems to indicate? I'm good with them being pretty stiff overall, but super directional flex patterns with much softer shovels than tails tend to not agree with me.

Are you thinking you’ll have more pairs of touring sticks?

My current setups are Moment Deathwish Tour as a daily driver and Line Pescado’s that actually get used A LOT.

The Pescado is a ridiculous powder touring ski. Lightweight. Easy Kick turns. Nothing floats better at slow speeds. Crazy playful but still stable at speed. The way they let you approach tight trees is nothing short of crazy. They’re fine on firm ski outs to the car. Mashing through variable snow isn’t in the cards... but that’s the case for everything you mentioned.

I know it’s easy to write that one off... as being an outlandish shape but I’ve never let anyone borrow them that didn’t buy a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom
    They look like they’d be perfect for negotiating big lines in the Alps, but I suspect they’d be a handful bouncing down the steep treed pillow lines that are my usual fare in the Kootenays.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post

My current setups are Moment Deathwish Tour as a daily driver and Line Pescado’s that actually get used A LOT.

The Pescado is a ridiculous powder touring ski. Lightweight. Easy Kick turns. Nothing floats better at slow speeds. Crazy playful but still stable at speed. The way they let you approach tight trees is nothing short of crazy. They’re fine on firm ski outs to the car. Mashing through variable snow isn’t in the cards... but that’s the case for everything you mentioned.

I know it’s easy to write that one off... as being an outlandish shape but I’ve never let anyone borrow them that didn’t buy a pair.
    came here to recommend the pescado. 10/10 best touring ski i've ever had. it's insane just how good that ski is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post

They do look intriguing, I just imagine they’d be a little wide and heavy on the skin track. It’s possible the SLAYr 114 could have similar qualities?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    They do look intriguing, I just imagine they’d be a little wide and heavy on the skin track. It’s possible the SLAYr 114 could have similar qualities?
    they (pescados) are like 1800g. just don't make the mistake i made and put tectons on them. with a light binding they'd be a total powslayer.

QST 118. Light weight, handles variable conditions great, super intuitive, can ski slow or fast, pivots on a dime. Very under rated ski. I could actually ski it everyday if I didn’t have a huge quiver

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Like tgapp said, not that heavy. You're really splitting hairs compared to a 1700gram ski... and honestly a few of the options you listed are likely a little heavier than stated specs. Point being, they're plenty light.

Also, re-the Slayr that'll be a really different ski... not bad necessarily but the Pescado is in a class of it's own. I typically like 2300-2400 gram resort skis and struggle on lighter stuff but the Pescado is just different. Any turn shape you want, fits most styles, and just keeps you smiling. Watch a few of Pollard's videos of them, they actually honestly illustrate how the ski likes to be used. There are a few threads here about them here as well. I've done everything from mellow trees to drops and pillow lines big enough that I won't mention the size to avoid seeming like I'm stoking a TGR ego.

It's a unique ski on paper but just works really really well for almost everyone. You mentioned the Wailer and I think the Pescado does exactly what the Wailer intended to... but does it better in every way.

They look like they’d be perfect for negotiating big lines in the Alps, but I suspect they’d be a handful bouncing down the steep treed pillow lines that are my usual fare in the Kootenays.
    I always hesitate hopping into these threads, 'coz we all chime in with a ski we either own or want to own.

For me, it's a bit of both. I have the CD114s in a 182, but not the "L's". I'd get the "L's" in a heartbeat if they made them in 182.

On a "chargey-ness" scale, I'd put them about midway between my GPOs (I have a pair of 182, MAP/Carbon/Nylon #4, and 182 Enduro/Veneer, #4) and the Praxis Qs I owned (182 MAP/Carbon/Veneer #4). I'm 5'8 / 165#.

The tail feels similar to my two GPOs - solid, but not brutal. I can easily recover from getting in the back seat. The GPOs swivel a bit more (mounted at -1.5), and the Downs ask you to drive them just a wee bit more from the tip.

The tips on the 114s make me wonder if Simen and Geo had a spy in the ON3P factory. While not quite as magical as Billy Goat RES, they're darn close, and I'm mulling over the idea of selling my Goats. I always regret selling Goats however ;-)

I noticed that @Boissal revived last year's Down group buy thread over on Gear Swap. I'm still curious if the boys figured out how to ship the North America.

Lots of good skis out there. Best of times / worst of times.

...Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

G3 SLAYr 114 looks interesting. Just flexing the Sendr 112 look challenging. I saw some real rippers skiing them but they would have been too much for me I am almost sure. SLAYr looks a little easier with more tail rocker.

I mostly used a pair of older Wailer 112 Pure 3 last year - logged plenty of powder days on them in Japan, BC and WA. While they are not the lightest by modern standards, I still just really enjoy the ease of use, versatility in trees/pillows, just fun powder skiing, and still having some amount of smoothness/stability. If the Pagoda does have some of the dampness in lighter package, that could be fantastic. The banana shape is not for everyone but in a touring setting with lots of trees it just works for me.

I would add Völkl BMT109s and Katana V Werks to the list as well.

BMT109s if you want something looser and lighter, Katanas if you want something a bit more chargy (mount forward a bit is recommended - 2-3cm depending on length).

I do not know what the current pricing on these is like in the land of the free or canuckistan (there seems to be a whole lot tighter price control over yonder), but over here in Euroland it is really quite easy to find either ski heavily discounted (for instance at Sport Bittl or Sport Conrad).

For full on powder use I would also consider BMT122s - truly excellent powder skis imho. Some pairs are still floating around for sale, though they were discontinued after the 2019 season.

Pescados are really nice skis that I have been wanting to try for a long time that get a lot of praise. Their 158mm wide shovels doesn't scream skin track ease though

Billy Goat Tours are looking like the ultimate Kootenay touring ski to me. I've been on the the regular Billy's for the past few seasons as my fat touring ski and I couldn't ask for much more other than a bit less weight.

But you're getting old so should probably stick with DPS

So many good options out there. Two thoughts/opinions...
    1) Err on narrower - since a) even if light, a wide ski will add skin weight and uphill resistance and b) realistically how many big pow days are safe to go... plus 105-110 waist goes a long way, especially with pow friendly shape (rocker and flat or reverse camber)
    2) Narrow options based on shape first - Camber (cambered, flat, reverse) I'd argue is the biggest question. Since you have a RC ski on your list with the WNDR reverse. For soft snow, I'm a fan of RC in that it floats well for its width and weight. My choice is fellow Canuck Hoji's Raven (the 184 is 1700g)
    But again, so many great options!

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Pescados are really nice skis that I have been wanting to try for a long time that get a lot of praise. Their 158mm wide shovels doesn't scream skin track ease though
    Good point. It has never really bothered me but I’m not sure why. It might be that it’s just a shorter ski than I’m used to but I also just tend to be on wide setups. They do break trail nicely. I bought these thinking I’d use them 5x annually but tent to pull them out 20-25 days per year.

One other point on skinning with these. I typically use pure Mohair skis. I have some blended skins for these to get a little more grip. They’re not bad and are easier than fully rockered skis but I like a little more grip as the surface are on the tail is reduced a little. No need to go with Nylon skins though.

Straight powder touring ski?

Volkl BMT 122
    Lotus 120 (124 now?)
    Praxis protest / gpo

For tight spaces and pillow lines, I'd be looking for something fully rockered and not a crazy amount of taper (cross out the wailers you listed). That's
    Volkl BMT 122 or 109
    Volkl katana v werks
    4 frnt renegade (122 underfoot - have not skied may need space to come alive)
    4 frnt raven (107 underfoot)
    wndr alpine
    black crows nocta

Honestly can't go wrong with any of the above skis. I'm a full rocker fan boy for bc skiing.

That's what I was skiing the week you and I were at Snowfall a few years back and again this year a Fairy Meadows. They bounce very well considering their girth, I find them to be more at ease in that kind of terrain than the Wailer 105 I used as my all-around skis for years. Clearly a 189 can be a bit demanding to toss around when things come at you fast and I had a few tense moments in the really steep sections below the hut a FM but nothing a good assplant couldn't fix.
    Overall they seem to be almost as stable at speed as what I consider the reference for big open slopes (the old Lotus120) but they are much more versatile in other terrain. I skied them every day for a season in the Wasatch and never touched my smaller skis, only this year did I start spending more time on the skinnier version (CD104L) and that was mostly to ski some particularly stupid lines.

Any one tried the ferox?

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    they (pescados) are like 1800g. just don't make the mistake i made and put tectons on them. with a light binding they'd be a total powslayer.
    I put Tectons on mine as well. If I were to do it again I'd mount them with inserts for alpine bindings and Zeds or similar, but Tectons have been a decent compromise. The Pescado is a super fun resort slush ski and I don't mind skiing Tectons inbounds, especially with a ski like the Pescado, where its design (light construction, tons of sidecut) doesn't lend itself to charging hard anyway.

There is no better ski than the Pescado for making low-angle pow or tight trees way more fun than they should be, but there are (obviously) more versatile options that would be more suitable for couloirs or big open bowls. The Pescado's ridiculously fat tips and tails make it too eager to hook up into a turn when the snow is steep and firm. And they're a little too turny to really let them run in open spaces.

I'll throw the Bent Chetler 120 out there as a similarly fun but more versatile pow ski. You can find last season's topsheets on sale too, at least up in Canada.

Not to thread jack too much, but what's your argument against the tectons on the pescado? Too much binding/weight? Thinking about this exact setup as a possible one ski quiver for a future Japan trip. Thought the tecton might be a good compromise for that use, though I also have no qualms skiing a lighter binding on it (skied the first get ATK rt's on icelantic nomads for 3 years as my only skis for all use).

Quote Originally Posted by NotFlyingIsNotTrying View Post
    Not to thread jack too much, but what's your argument against the tectons on the pescado? Too much binding/weight? Thinking about this exact setup as a possible one ski quiver for a future Japan trip. Thought the tecton might be a good compromise for that use, though I also have no qualms skiing a lighter binding on it (skied the first get ATK rt's on icelantic nomads for 3 years as my only skis for all use).
    yeah as a jappowpow ski or as a travel ski it would be a sweet setup, but i don't need a super bomber, responsive binding with all the bells and whistles for good old hippy powder farming. in retrospect, i wish i had put helio 180's on them, but the tecton is a decent compromise.

I bought mind with two precious mounts so I did Shifts because I wanted to tour and take them to the resort. Crazy fun resort ski for both good snow and spring laps. The shifts bother me touring but it’s a comprise I needed to make.

I’ve thought about a quiver killed setup with two bindings on a future set of Pescado’s. As a travel ski Tecton’s would be great.

yeah as a jappowpow ski or as a travel ski it would be a sweet setup, but i don't need a super bomber, responsive binding with all the bells and whistles for good old hippy powder farming. in retrospect, i wish i had put helio 180's on them, but the tecton is a decent compromise.

New Powder Touring Skis?

Bot some Shifts with 120mm brakes back in April from the COVID sales to support a local shop. They were gonna go on some Renegades, then was gonna switch them to 100mm Tecton and get a lighter 100mm touring ski, but dang a Pescado/Shift combo may be funner. For short, low angle laps in the trees. I really don’t do long tours. Just short laps for fun. It’s always more about the down for me.

And these would also be great for the odd deep pow resort or cat skiing/heli day. I like how you can also ski Shifts with your alpine boots (I have Lupo 130s with pins and Krypton 130s for alpine).
    Last edited by kc_7777; 08-29-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_1954 View Post
    Q for you Pescado enthusiasts. I have read all your reviews and you convinced me - I just got a Pescado and Atomic Backland! This ski will never see a resort. I have few other skis for inbounds. I am 66 and I don't jump cliffs, don't switch, dont jibb. In backcountry 80% of skiing is a low aspect terrain, not exposed, I do it alone often. You guys (in other threads may be) had described it as the best slow skiing low aspect powder ski, and this is what i needed (I was thinking abount Pon2oons, but you switched me to Pescados). 20% of my skiing backcountry is in 40 degree chutes, but it is very conservative from full stop to full stop.

Now here is my Q. Where to mount? This recommended line... but for whom? for those who ski inbounds and occasionally go out? or 50-50? Or for true powder enthusiasts? I.e. where should I mount - on recommended -80 mm from true centre, or may be move back from this recommendation even other 3 cm back, so to mount at -11 cm from true centre? Any ideas? tgapp, tailwind, jongle, other Pescado guys... please advice
    I mounted mine on recommended and was super happy with it. Mine are 80/20 touring/resort, mounted with tectons. I don't think I would mount mine back at all - I find that there is PLENTY of float in them, and I've never once been able to get the tips to dive, even when really driving the shovels.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk