Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I also mounted mine on recommended and have never been tempted to move back. No tip dive and the tails are plenty loose. I remounted with inserts for Zeds and Wardens this year and had to move up +0.5cm to avoid hole conflict, but can’t feel any difference on snow.

Congrats on the purchase, I think you’ll be very, very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    I also mounted mine on recommended and have never been tempted to move back. No tip dive and the tails are plenty loose. I remounted with inserts for Zeds and Wardens this year and had to move up +0.5cm to avoid hole conflict, but can’t feel any difference on snow.

oops, wanted to edit one word in my post and instead it got deleted.. Retyping...
    Q for you Pescado enthusiasts. I have read all your reviews and you convinced me - I just got a Pescado and Atomic Backland! This ski will never see a resort. I have few other skis for inbounds. I am 66 and I don't jump cliffs, don't switch, don't jib. In backcountry 80% of skiing is a low aspect terrain, not exposed, I do it alone often. You guys (in other threads may be as well) had described it as the best slow skiing low aspect slopr powder ski, and this is what I needed (I was thinking about Pon2oons, but you switched me to Pecados). 20% of my skiing backcountry is in 40 degree chutes, but it is very conservative from full stop to full stop

Now here is my Q. Where to mount? The recommended line... but for whom? for those who ski inbounds and occasionally go out? or 50-50? or for true powder enthusiasts? I.e. where should I mount - on recommended -80 mm from true centre, or may move back from this recommendation even other 3 cm back, so to mount at --1 cm from true centre? Any ideas? tgapp, jongle, other Pescado guys... please advise

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post

already happy. impressive. plus I put it on the scale. 1800 gr for a ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_1954 View Post
    already happy. impressive. plus I put it on the scale. 1800 gr for a ski.
    so time flies. Yesterday was first powder day. Took them to resort, first hour was untouched snow of course and then progressively moving towards the rope and then out of the bounds.

Everything you guys said about the ski is true. Phenomenal flotation. Hence very good on low aspect. But I do like how it behaves on steeper terrain too. It finishes the turn and doesn't want to charge down. Very controlled. I understand that this is not others may look for, but for me it is exactly what I was looking.

Once again, out of bounds in virgin snow it is a very good improvement over my previous backcountry ski (K2 Missdirected - girl's Obsethed, 169 144-117-134).
    I am talking about skiing down of course, also it has cintered base so I waxed those. And scraped and brushed all the wax like crazy not to contaminate the skins. Also skiing yesterday in resort without the skins for the whole day, to "remove" what wasn't scraped off and brushed off (yes I am a bit paranoid).

So comparing those two skis, the Pescado is 5% wider (about 10 mil wider), 5% longer (180 vs 169) and most importantly the mounting point is 8 cm further back (so tip is 10% longer). Gives you 20% more surface - explains insane flotation. 20% more surface means 10% less required speed to start floating.

as for going up, as I said I never put my skins yesterday. But the whole setup is 1900 grams lighter than my Missdirected. Skis at 3600 are 700 grams lighter, Atomic Backland at 800 grams is 800 grams lighter than G3 Onyx plus a Pomoca skins.

I was so impressed that for a minute was thinking about buying second pair for resort. However I think that for crud the current K2 obsethhed with its super rocker will be better. But if I change my mind and buy it, it definitely will be demo bindings, on the groom I think it will be to my advantage to move the binders way forward (on one of my Obsethed it is a demo binding, and I move it a lot, depending on snow).

But thank you very much guys for your reviews - it helped me and I second all you said, please sign me in to your group of Pescado fans.

Surprised to not see any love here for the Bent Chetler 120.

Upsides: Stupid light for a 120mm ski (well under 1800g at 184cm), really playful, and the small bit of camber underfoot keeps them workable in chop and variable snow. I rock them with Shifts, and they’re an absolute blast in pretty much any condition, especially pow.

Downsides: If you’re on the bigger side you might find yourself overpowering the BCs as they’re quite flexy, and if you’re exclusively touring on them you’ll probably want to mount a cm or two back from recommended (kick turns can be a bitch with those tails) which will in turn dial back the playfulness a bit.

I'd personally go with a K2 Catamaran or Rossi BO118, but only to establish that dominance on the skin track by showing everyone how strong I am.

Growling and making myself look really big also helps with that too
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

New Powder Touring Skis?

I ended up getting the K2 Mindbender 116C. Haven’t skied them yet. But at ~1,875gm per ski in a 179cm (mine weighed in at 1,891gm and 1,864gm) they are decently light for a 116mm wide touring ski. Like the tip/tail rocker too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EAB2ED07-6189-45CE-A7A4-B01EE566346A.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	394804

Name:	IMG_3001.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	240.4 KB 
ID:	394805

Name:	IMG_3002.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	394807

Name:	IMG_2747.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	950.0 KB 
ID:	394806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2748.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	831.5 KB 
ID:	394808

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post

Upsides: Stupid light for a 120mm ski (well under 1800g at 184cm), really playful, and the small bit of camber underfoot keeps them workable in chop and variable snow. I rock them with Shifts, and they’re an absolute blast in pretty much any condition, especially pow.

Downsides: If you’re on the bigger side you might find yourself overpowering the BCs as they’re quite flexy, and if you’re exclusively touring on them you’ll probably want to mount a cm or two back from recommended (kick turns can be a bitch with those tails) which will in turn dial back the playfulness a bit.
    I have a bc120 and tour on it 90% of the time in interior Idaho. Got em with moment voyagers. I love the setup. The only thing that sucks is icy skin tracks (obviously), which I only encounter when I took them into the sawtooths in the spring. Stupid idea, but there was snow in the forecast. They surprisingly ski very well in variable conditions and the voyager binding is confidence inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post

I was thinking the BC with Cast as a dedicated touring ski. Have heard it punches above its weight.

I toured on the older, heavy version of the Chets for years. Maybe the funnest ski ever. Get ski crampons if you don't already have them. Helps out quite a bit with the spring crust skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I was thinking the BC with Cast as a dedicated touring ski. Have heard it punches above its weight.
    I think if I was to redo this setup I’d go Cast. The Shifts have performed super well, but the AFD and forward pressure quirks didn’t exactly start our relationship off from a great place. No issues with the Shifts since I’ve gotten them dialed, but there’s a lot less potential for things to go wrong with the Cast system IMO.

Anyone skied the old Salomon MTN Lab 114? Looks like everything I am looking for in a larger touring ski; wide, long radius with minimal rocker (solid edge hold in steeps with little oversteer), and circa 1800 grams (sweet spot of not too heavy but good ski ability). My Black Crows Atris mounted with Alpinists, whilst a little heavy, did a reasonable job of filling this spot but are now residing on the North Face of the Aiguille du Midi...

Quote Originally Posted by JackSkier View Post
    Anyone skied the old Salomon MTN Lab 114?
    It was a great ski. Instead of discontinuing it, they should have added an MTN 105 (MTN Explore 95 is also a good one).

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    It was a great ski. Instead of discontinuing it, they should have added an MTN 105 (MTN Explore 95 is also a good one).
    Sounds good, I'll keep an eye out for a pair. I have the MTN 95s, they're great skis as you say..