Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Eating in restaurants?

I've eaten food in exactly one restaurant since the covid started. It was a brilliant omakase style meal lasting well in excess if 2h with just Mrs Cruiser and me at the bar. I've had a good bit of take out but this time, just a couple of weeks ago, was the only time I've actually eaten in a restaurant. I cook well enough but I'm missing the dining-in experience a bit for sure.

How about you? You eaten inside anyplace lately?

As an aside, has anyone had any really knock your socks off take out lately?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

No. Look at a waiter working and everything they touch between serving you. Or go in the kitchen and see how many people have masks off or their nose exposed. Just did pick up at Pat's BBQ here in SLC yesterday and the kitchen staff were not 'on' it. I mean, I'll still do takeout elsewhere....

Outside dining only. Could see kitchen staff. Fully masked

no

Outside only ... which will end when the cooler weather arrives, unless many places do as we’ve seen in Europe - overhead and stand heaters outside.

Nope. Not worth it. Take out is good enough.

Usually outside but that would be the case this time of year anyway. Mrs. Bimble & I have been inside twice, once at a bar in Creede where nobody (including the staff) was a wearing a mask and a local place where they were. Both were crammed with Texas tourists. No worries.
    The Sheriff is near!

Yes, once or twice a week for months now, ever since they reopened stuff back in May. Mostly outside, but occasionally inside, where it's always almost near-empty anyway (the couple times we encountered a crowd we just turned around and left). Doesn't seem that risky to me. Not really worried about what the waiter touches because from what I've read that's not a common means of transmission. As long as I'm not in close proximity to somebody and breathing their air, I feel safe. These places are hurting big time and takeout isn't enough to keep them alive. What is Yelp saying, that 50 or 60% of the restaurants on their website have closed permanently? That's fucking crazy. I figure if the staff has the guts to be in there working, I can find the guts to go eat there. One thing I will say, we went for pizza the other night and I saw a noticeable uptick in older folks eating out. They have been mostly absent from restaurants for obvious reasons, but maybe that's changing.

We get takeout at least once a week, to support the struggling local establishments. Tips =50%
    But dine inside a restaurant? Oh hell no.

I've dined at restaurants outside twice - both with Puma. With at least six feet between all diners. On windy days.

I dined inside several times for the few weeks it was allowed in California, but only in establishments where I trusted them to be on top of it (i.e. I'm friends with the owners or managers). And a few places on the Nevada side of the lake since some of that is still allowed... but same deal, very selective.

For sit-down - outside, well spaced, a couple-four times. Tipped well. Still closed for inside dining in NM. I did get my first haircut since February with my usual this week.

Take-out or delivery weekly.

Not worried about the kitchen staff, but it’s mostly academic - most of the higher end places I’d want to go shuttered for good., so haven’t been out to eat. Done takeout.

Nope. We mention that we miss it on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    For sit-down - outside, well spaced, a couple-four times. Tipped well. Still closed for inside dining in NM. I did get my first haircut since February with my usual this week.

Take-out or delivery weekly.
    Pretty much this. Patio dining only, and only a handful of times since March.

When we went to MT we had take-out most days, but the last day we went to a taphouse and sat on their patio so I could get some fresh fish-n-chips.

I miss fresh fish-n-chips more than anything...

Eating in restaurants?

At home we have exclusively been doing weekly takeout from a local food truck. (had kid in school)

Planning on doing outside next weekend in Burlington for college kids drop off...
    Last edited by BC.; 08-21-2020 at 05:34 PM.

pepperidge farm remembers
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

We’ve done outdoor picnic tables a couple times but nfw I’m dining inside anywhere.
    Lots of takeout though and still seems inexpensive since we don’t have multiple cocktails like we normally would.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    We get takeout at least once a week, to support my desire to not cook and do dishes
    FIFY
    skid luxury

I've done patios probably 4 or 5 times since March and did sit down once when we were in Wisconsin. Been doing lots of take out and (ugh) fast food. No doubt the eating out budget is way down compared to normal without a beer of two with dinner.

I've been tipping well but its a little frustrating because I've had so many screwed up orders or things missing, and I can't remember to look before I get all the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I miss fresh fish-n-chips more than anything...
    What I really miss: There’s a whiskey bar-restaurant here that has/had a bar with a fantastic bourbon and rye stock, and the bar staff knew my name and what I liked. I miss sitting at the bar with my date, talking with the staff that treated us super-well, trying different whiskeys, and eating their fabulous Carolina style ribs and duck fat fried potatoes. They have some outdoor seating but it wouldn’t be the same. I don’t know if the place will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Lots of takeout though and still seems inexpensive since we don’t have multiple cocktails like we normally would.
    OTOH, yeah, I’ve saved tons of money drinking at home.

Take out only. Not missing that much, or dealing with it just is not appealing. Trying to support local businesses, and tip nicely. Cooking a lot and leftovers for work lunch.

I kind of view restaurants the same way I view my health club these days--they're all more or less deserted where I live, so I'm going to go while the going is good. I wouldn't get on a cardio machine in a room with other people panting away, but I never really did that anyway. But the pool has been great--never more than one or two people, always a lane open. Sometimes when I'm the only one swimming there I'm like yeah, I dig this pandemic stuff--keep all these fuckers at home! Not really though. I feel for these businesses that are getting crushed. So even if I didn't go to the club to swim, I'd keep my membership current, unless I lost my job or something.

I have spent the past two weeks in Miami and have been doing exclusively take-out. I have been able to patronize my favorite restaurants, but I have done so from the comfort of my home/son's apartment. Just don't forget to treat take-out as in restaurant dining and add an appropriate tip.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

have not even eaten outside anywhere. did takeout twice.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Take-out only until today. Mrs K2 never had 5 Guys before, have to go in to order, no drive thru. It felt uncomfortable being inside with people eating waiting while for our order. We ate at an outside table

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Mrs K2 never had 5 Guys before
    Is that what she told you?