Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Nearly two-thirds of New York restaurants may have to close by January

New York (CNN Business)Nearly two-thirds of New York restaurants could be out of business as soon as January without some sort of additional government aid, according to a new study.

Restaurants across the Empire State have been struggling to stay in business since the coronavirus pandemic forced them to shut down in March. On Thursday, the New York State Restaurant Association released the findings from its latest survey of more than 1,000 restaurateurs across the state.

Nearly 64% of restaurant owners said they are likely or somewhat likely to close by the end of this year unless they receive financial relief. And about 55% of those who are likely to close said they expect to shut down before November.

Only about 36% said they expect to still be in business by January.

"It is painfully clear that without financial assistance, the restaurant industry in New York State could collapse," the association's president, Melissa Fleischut, said. "These recent survey results illustrate just how dire the financial situation has become for most restaurants, and it shows how critical it is that elected officials understand the urgency of the situation."

In New York City, the situation has been particularly dire. Gov. Andrew Cuomo has maintained an order barring restaurants in the Big Apple from allowing indoor seating. The order is designed to limit the resurgence of Covid-19, but Cuomo has allowed restaurants outside the five boroughs to seat customers at a limited capacity.

New York City restaurateurs like Jason Birchard, 53, co-owner of Veselka, a Ukrainian restaurant in Manhattan, say the restrictions on indoor seating are killing their business.

"We would find it very difficult to survive past January," Birchard told CNN Business. "I'm doing the best I can right now."
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I really don't see why they can't allow limited indoor seating.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    we have it here
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

They absolutely should. I work in a related business in the area. The NYC restaurant business has been devastated. They’re holding on by a thread and all they want is a chance at fighting for their own survival. Upstate and surrounding states have all opened. Keeping NYC restaurants restricted to outdoors and takeout is irrational at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    They absolutely should. I work in a related business in the area. The NYC restaurant business has been devastated. They’re holding on by a thread and all they want is a chance at fighting for their own survival. Upstate and surrounding states have all opened. Keeping NYC restaurants restricted to outdoors and takeout is irrational at this point.
    Yeah. At this point, it's politicians just further digging their heels in to try and prove something. NYC was by far the most amazing restaurant destination I've ever been to in my life and it breaks my heart to see the city destroy those businesses, many of which have been there for generations. Not to mention all the employees whose livelihoods have also been taken away.

Limited indoor seating is still hard on local spots.
    Santa Fe area restaurants find little to celebrate with dine-in at 25% capacity

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Yeah. At this point, it's politicians just further digging their heels in to try and prove something. NYC was by far the most amazing restaurant destination I've ever been to in my life and it breaks my heart to see the city destroy those businesses, many of which have been there for generations. Not to mention all the employees whose livelihoods have also been taken away.
    The city/politics isn’t destroying the businesses, the pandemic is. How many cases of COVID-19 from close indoor dining is acceptable to you? Be specific. Also, for extra credit include the financial costs of those cases.

Out of curiosity, are those areas you're seeing packed restaurants in experiencing any different results than high population areas who are being way more cautious?
    What results? People contracting SARS-2? I don't know. There's certainly no reports that I'm aware of reporting a spike in cases in these regions.

When the dust settles, it's going to be really interesting to better understand all the variables. I can't believe we're nearly a year into this virus being discovered (probably longer within the lab tho) and we still know so little about it.
    This is not so. We know everything that we need to know. I stand by everything that I posted months ago regarding this matter. Are you aware of the CDC report that was released last week?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Limited indoor seating doesn’t bring in enough money to survive.

For places like butcher & boar Corp travel & entertainment seemed a big chunk of their biz, until that comes back, nothing doing.

sucks Surly is closing but they already had to change things since they opened because of the local market (Downgrade menu, etc). The upstairs brewers table was awesome, but fell to the TShitties malaise a couple years back. In another city it’d have thrived.

This has been a shitshow for my restaurant and catered events. I've been doing curbside pickup and online marketplace foods only. Last year I was running 3 properties. Now I'm running solo in one place. But I don't want to invite joe public in just yet. Most of our guests are wonderful, gracious, friendly. And then there are the other people. If I have to deal with one motherfucker refusing to mask up I will lose my shit. Other business' near me are killing it. I see how they operate though. Sloppy as fuck. I want no part of that.

My brother is managing 3 restaurants in LA. His people stories are nuts - unruly, no fucks given for others, rude, aggressive. His staff are constantly dropping out from Covid. Hearing the shit he has to deal with seals my decision to keep the public out as long as I can.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to eat out.

Quote Originally Posted by papapoopski View Post
    This has been a shitshow for my restaurant and catered events. I've been doing curbside pickup and online marketplace foods only. Last year I was running 3 properties. Now I'm running solo in one place. But I don't want to invite joe public in just yet. Most of our guests are wonderful, gracious, friendly. And then there are the other people. If I have to deal with one motherfucker refusing to mask up I will lose my shit. Other business' near me are killing it. I see how they operate though. Sloppy as fuck. I want no part of that.

My brother is managing 3 restaurants in LA. His people stories are nuts - unruly, no fucks given for others, rude, aggressive. His staff are constantly dropping out from Covid. Hearing the shit he has to deal with seals my decision to keep the public out as long as I can.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to eat out.
    This is sad.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Pretty crazy. Friend of mine is moving from SF to be head chef at a new restaurant in JH this winter. Seems like a crazy time to start a new restaurant unless you are into gambling and they are all but giving away leases for commercial restaurant space?

CDC report: Dining out increases risk of contracting coronavirus more than other activities

Dining out is one of the riskiest possible activities during the coronavirus pandemic, according to a report issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Thursday, citing the fact that masks are not used while people are eating and drinking.

https://fox17.com/news/local/covid-19-emails-from-nashville-mayors-office-show-disturbing-revelation?fbclid=IwAR09he_jyAK-2PLK8sRgtVFb4EaTXbPPrHLGKGc3kWAfqf053MEz6_xNM

Leslie Waller from the health department asks “This isn’t going to be publicly released, right? Just info for Mayor’s Office?“Correct, not for public consumption.” Writes senior advisor Benjamin Eagles
    A month later the health department is asked point blank about the rumor there are only 80 cases traced to bars and restaurants.
    Tennessean reporter Nate Rau asks “the figure you gave of “more than 80” does lead to a natural question: If there have been over 20,000 positive cases of COVID-19 in Davidson and only 80 or so are traced to restaurants and bars, doesn’t that mean restaurants and bars aren’t a very big problem?
    Health department official Brian Todd asks 5 health department officials: Please advise how you recommend I respond. BT
    The name at the top of the response is clipped off but you may find the answer unacceptable.
    “My two cents. We have certainly refused to give counts per bar because those numbers are low per site."
    We could still release the total though, and then a response to the over 80 could be “because that number is increasing all the time and we don’t want to say a specific number.
    Neither the health department or the mayor’s office would confirm the authenticity of the emails but councilmember Steve Glover had a metro staff attorney inquire. Here’s the official answer:
    “I was able to get verification from the Mayor’s Office and the Department of Health that these emails are real” answered the staff attorney.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Seems like they are really stretching to make a big deal about this. Oh wait, it is a Fox affiliate in a red state! Gotcha.

Bars and restaurants around these parts are mostly figuring it out and doing pretty well. A few that have large indoor seating space and little outdoor are struggling. Numbers have stayed high this week, which is normally when things start to slow down. There's a lot more "Locals" now since people have been moving to the mountains from the cities.

Winter will be the real test. Tent sales are though the roof, some are doing mini yurts with a table in each. We will see.

Had my first couple of beers in an actual bar last week. Not bar/restaurant. All the bars are still closed. The proprietor was referred to me for some business help so we met at his bar, he poured me a beer, and we went out to the balcony and watched downtown for a couple hours of conversation. Just the two of us at a distance. He said I could stay as long as I like...he was missing the bar scene too.

Even though it wasn't a real bar environment with people bellying up, pretty sweet to grab a draft beer and hang out at a bar for some conversation. They are going to slowly reopen bars here with distanced table service only and limited hours. Probably won't be going back for awhile but I was king for a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Seems like they are really stretching to make a big deal about this. Oh wait, it is a Fox affiliate in a red state! Gotcha.
    I guess you didn't lose your business. Gotcha.

On June 30th, contact tracing was given a small view of coronavirus clusters. Construction and nursing homes were found to be causing problems with more than a thousand cases traced to each category, but bars and restaurants reported just 22 cases.Leslie Waller from the health department asks, “This isn’t going to be publicly released, right? Just info for Mayor’s Office?"
    “Correct, not for public consumption,” writes senior advisor Benjamin Eagles.
    No big deal. Just not telling the truth is all.

“My two cents. We have certainly refused to give counts per bar because those numbers are low per site.
    We could still release the total though, and then a response to the over 80 could be because that number is increasing all the time and we don’t want to say a specific number."
    Not really a stretch at all. Pretty cut and dry. Litigation incoming.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I guess you didn't lose your business. Gotcha.

No big deal. Just not telling the truth is all.
    What's a few lives when there's money on the line anyway, amirite??!!

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    What's a few lives when there's money on the line anyway, amirite??!!
    They opened up bars on south Broadway to 50% and open till 11pm.... Today.

Must be a coincidence huh?

Wait and see what happens with the infection numbers. When San Diego opened bars and restaurants to about that level back in May the infection numbers jumped and everything was closed back down within a month.

I'd want to know how rigorous the testing and contact tracing was before you can pass judgement on whether 80 cases is low or not. Especially in a red state where people probably weren't taking mask wearing and other precautions very seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Wait and see what happens with the infection numbers. When San Diego opened bars and restaurants to about that level back in May the infection numbers jumped and everything was closed back down within a month.

I'd want to know how rigorous the testing and contact tracing was before you can pass judgement on whether 80 cases is low or not. Especially in a red state where people probably weren't taking mask wearing and other precautions very seriously.
    Mayor will have to resign for this. 2nd Democratic Mayor in a row. First one was a sex scandal. Lol. Can't make this shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Mayor will have to resign for this. 2nd Democratic Mayor in a row. First one was a sex scandal. Lol. Can't make this shit up.
    For reopening bars resulting in a COVID-19 spike in San Diego?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ants-cdc-study

Adults who tested positive for the coronavirus were about twice as likely to have dined at a restaurant within a two-week period prior to becoming sick, according to a new study from Centers For Disease Control and Prevention.

The study looked at 314 adults who had showed symptoms of COVID-19 and had sought testing at one of 11 facilities across 10 states in July. Of the participants, 154 tested positive for COVID-19, while 160 tested negative and served as a control group.

Participants were asked questions such as how often they had worn face coverings in public and where they had gone two weeks prior to having shown symptoms.

Seventy-one percent of people who tested positive said they had always worn face coverings in public, compared with 74% of the control group.

The study found that both positive and negative cases reported going to gyms, hair salons, shops and in-home group gatherings at about the same rate. But the positive cases were about twice as likely to report dining out at restaurants within the 14-day period before feeling sick.....

Read that. Seems like they may or may not have contracted it in restaurants but most likely if they're willing to eat out, they're probably doing other things that up the risk. I notice things myself where I think that I've been really careful and then I look objectively how I distance or when I wash my hands and I'm not as good about it as I think I am.

It's weird, we've had open restaurants and bars here in North Idaho since May, and we've only had 200 cases of covid since the pandemic started in our county. I've been eating out and grabbing beers since June and so far so good. Indoor and outdoor seating is open. I'm not sure how to explain it. Perhaps it's the low population density? Maybe we have a hidden population of sick people? Mask use isn't very prevalent either.