Bed liner coverage on a van

Sprinter paint sucks balls....looking at getting liner x sprayed on the whole van. Anyone done this? Seems like it might be really heavy. Not sure of cost etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

A big chunk of the cost is in the prep work. If you do your own prep, you can save quite a bit. Make sure you splurge for the version that is most UV stable unless you want the rig to really look like ass in a few years.

It won't add much weight relative to the payload of a Sprinter.

I seen bedliner down low on kick panels of a big PU and it didnt look so bad

do you need to do the whole truck ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

seen a few rock crawlers and dedicated trail rigs with full bed liner, good for tight trails with trees limbs/brush etc. i could see it on a sprinter if trying to push an overgrown logging/mining road.

will prob do lower 1/3 of my truck bed liner and upper with that clear wrap this fall. got some good scratches this summer exploring some old mining roads. will have to pay a pro to wheel it out

Would be open to just the rockets and front for sure. Mercedes guy told me they use a one step paint on sprinters because it’s expected they will get wrapped or sprayed aftermarket. That’s why they all look like rust buckets. Apparently you can even buff through the paint when working on scratches. My paint is hammered after 40 k miles with rust coming through in spots. ( hard miles but still)

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Sprinter paint sucks balls....looking at getting liner x sprayed on the whole van. Anyone done this? Seems like it might be really heavy. Not sure of cost etc.

We passed a Sprinter van with CO plates in a parking lot in VT yesterday that was coated in bed liner. Mat grey finish. Clearly, it can be done.

One problem with bedliner is that it's a dirt magnet and is difficult to clean because of the texture. But I would guess that once you coat the entire exterior you're probably not super concerned about keeping it spotless.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I really just want to keep rust at bay and I’m stunned at what a real paint job would cost

I would think you're still going to spend several thousand dollars ($3-5k) to get the entire van sprayed with bedliner.

Not going to spend that....self apply clear bra to front and rockers

They also make those magnetic body armor panels. Those might be worth a look for your application.

Detrusor, did you see my link for the vanlife app? One of the ladies involved in that (Dr. that works for WHO) is currently traveling in a Sprinter doing the vanlife with a dude who seems to know everything here is to know about Sprinters. Might see if you can give them a shout on the app.

I’ll give them a try!

Name:  P7050012 (1).jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  81.0 KB

Check out Monstaliner. They have a bunch of colors and prep and rolling doesn't seem to be terrible. I had the rockers, roof, sliders, and bumpers sprayed at the local Line-X with Line-X product. They color matched and laid down a nice primer after prep then sprayed. It's rough texture but smoother than others I've seen and dirt and mud spray off easy. I'm a couple years in and it still looks like new.

I took the molding and parts off myself. Was about $2,300 for everything. I was playing with house money though because a Geico customer hit my rear bumper and because it was a custom bumper and the adjuster was flirty, they paid for me to get a new customer bumper which I didn't.

The guy at Line-X said for a good looking job on the whole vehicle, I was looking at $5-6k but the prep around handles and windows was what made it expensive.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 09-01-2020 at 10:32 AM.

^^^ That's a great way to go for a keeping-it-for-life vehicle. The professional bedliner application is much nicer than the DIY stuff.

OTOH, for a cheap approach, the DIY bedliner kits aren't bad for use on things like rocker panels or bumpers. Easy to touch up. Nowhere near as durable as a hot spray-in professional job though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

a buddy of mine recently did a flat bed dually with LinerX material - he's sort of a pro DIY guy - I'll try to get a photo
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Friend bedlinered their nth hand T100 a few years back. Added some weight but not noticable. Power washed it to get the dirt off at the end of trips, regular car was would miss shit.

Paint work done properly with good prep (ie not Maaco) is really expensive. You get what you pay for on this stuff...

my philosopy of vehical corrosion is once you got rot you got rot,

you can spend $$$$ to paint but its probably coming back so drive it as-is

think about the next ride and don't worry about a little " patina "

edit: Ask yerself what spending 6-8k on the vehical gona do for the value ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-03-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The little surface corrosion can be easily fixed, then I want other paint that’s tougher in the high wear areas

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Paint work done properly with good prep (ie not Maaco) is really expensive. You get what you pay for on this stuff...
    maaco are all independently owned as far as I recall. I have seen pretty good work come out of some Maacos. Do your homework though.

Ive got bedliner/line-x on the hood and the rocker panels of my sprinter. About 30K on it and so far so good....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	van.jpg 
Views:	722 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	339694

Bed liner coverage on a van

Exactly what I’m talking about! I’m doing the forehead of the van as well. Takes a beating. Who did yours?

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Exactly what I’m talking about! I’m doing the forehead of the van as well. Takes a beating. Who did yours?

Sportsmobile did mine when they were building the van....i think any paint shop can do it though

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk