Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Well, let's be clear here. You win $500 million, then you have to pay the man. Also, if you are taking the lump sum, you start off with $250 mil, and then pay the man. So, now you are down to about $162.5, give or take a few million. But wait, it's still not over unless you live in a state with no state income tax. Cool beans for you folks in WA, AK, FL, TX, NV, WY! So, you could be looking at about $150 million when all is said and done.
    Thankfully, no tax in Canada on lotto winnings. Once the dividends come in though.....

I remember a lotto commercial back in the late 80's or early 90's where two news announcers were discussing what they would do if they won big. The guy said 'I'd buy a backhoe. And dig some holes', with a dreamy smile. Loved that commercial for some reason, wish I could find it.

I would not keep working my current job, but might consult again for a little bit. Already volunteer, but might do more hours there. Definitely buy some property in a couple of locations, and recreate with the boat/bike/ski way more. And figure out a way to not spoil our only child along the way! Maybe boarding school during her teenager years...

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I would like to work in some sort of caregiver role, maybe as a CNA at a hospital..
    CNA?? Really?? You know what CNA stands for right

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Now what? You can’t spend 365days a year on the bike/skis/surf...
    Oh so wrong my friend. I absolutely could.

Hire a personal trainer and do a fuck ton of physical therapy for everything that I've screwed up over the years. Then compete in foot / bike races in my age group. I'll never be spancered, but maybe I could be a competitive amateur again. Start a foundation to help keep Portland weird. Then, use some of the winnings to pave wide shoulders / bike lanes on some of the training routes around here where there's a lot of bike/car conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    You can’t spend 365days a year on the bike/skis/surf...
    I’m strongly aligned with the people that say yes you can. And I’m here to say that’s pretty much what I do.

My lottery win was a firefighter retirement in my early 50s (and paying off the mortgage). Since then I’ve only taken jobs that amused me or where I would learn something. Mostly I’ve worked movie extra, gear shop, a little landscaping, and pro patrol. The gear shop for a few years and patrol (and trail crew) was where I learned tons of stuff, especially patrol. But I haven’t worked year-round since I retired, and now I’m not going to take any more jobs, I’ll be fully retired. I fly fish, ride, travel, climb and hike, and ski at areas and bc. And it’s fkna great.

Yeah, I read a fair amount, my old house and yard get tons of attention, I wrench some, stay current on cultcha, I’m a fair cook, etc. I always said that I’m able to amuse myself, I don’t need a job to stay busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    My lottery win was a firefighter retirement in my early 50s.
    Taking that exact same path, just a decade or two behind you

Hoping my joints are still in good enough shape when I hit that magic age (It'll be 51 for me) that I can still do all the stuff I want

I'd start a co-op, work part time as chairman of it's board. Give em a line of credit for a hundred million and go hire some people to start coding: replace Fecebook and most of big data and probably create some hardware and a whole ecosystem that's owned by it's users (who can then decide how to monetize their data etc).

Capital is available enough at this point that it should be competing for opportunities to grow, not building monopolies. So, customer-owned. I always wanted to do that. And I think with a half billion dollars I could hook that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I might then invest in a wood shop, and start doing some small projects like I used to do with my grandfather when I was a kid. Building jewelry boxes, napkin holders, and candle holders. I would also get more into photography. And finish getting that pilot's license thingy I had started way back in HS....Then buy into a fractional jet service and chase storms all winter, while everyone else flew commercial.
    You can do all that stuff besides the jet service right now. As far as chasing winter storms in a private jet--you definitely won't outlive the the 150M.

If you win the lottery for life and feel like you need/want a job, then just give it all away. You’re not worthy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'd hire a killer alt country band and go on tour. Emmylou to sing backup. How bad could my singing sound with her singing harmony? I'd hire James McMurty and Steve Earle to write songs for us.
    First real answer of the thread.

All the people with holier-than-holy charity answers are missing the point....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Fill up a swimming pool with gold coins and swim in that shit like Scrooge McDuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Yes I absolutely fucking can.

Hypothetically...
    get out of my head

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Hire a personal trainer and do a fuck ton of physical therapy for everything that I've screwed up over the years.
    you too

I’d buy Sterling Forest/Tuxedo Ridge so I that when my lazy ass relatives and friends asked me for money I could just give them a job instead. It would also let me have my own barbecue place and bar as part of the base area rehab I would have to do. Maybe a brewery too. Then I’d chase the Renaissance Fair people off the property and put a dude ranch there so I’d have an excuse to keep some horses around. Also, that would keep my lazy ass nephews working during the summer too. Now that I think of it, I might open a shitty little amusement park instead of the dude ranch. I’d try to set it up so the summer business and winter business require the same number of employees. I’d probably lose tons of money but it’d be fun running around the property on a snowmobile all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Taking that exact same path, just a decade or two behind you

Hoping my joints are still in good enough shape when I hit that magic age (It'll be 51 for me) that I can still do all the stuff I want
    Go bro! And take care of your bod. I was lucky that way, I’m still pretty functional.

I'd like to think that I'd do part time IT consulting for local non-profits. And contribute to some open source projects.

I probably would not survive the hooker and blow phase.

Sad thing is, anyone I’ve known with that kind of money only wants more.

Hypothetically...
    While we are at it, I think the toot/tramps campaign may be longer than 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I'd start a co-op, work part time as chairman of it's board. Give em a line of credit for a hundred million and go hire some people to start coding: replace Fecebook and most of big data and probably create some hardware and a whole ecosystem that's owned by it's users (who can then decide how to monetize their data etc).

Capital is available enough at this point that it should be competing for opportunities to grow, not building monopolies. So, customer-owned. I always wanted to do that. And I think with a half billion dollars I could hook that up.
    I like your thinking.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Local startup fund+ whatever other silly ideas I could come up with. Would also likely do something with affordable housing, preferably in areas with lots of uppity NIMBYs

I would move to the Tetons, build trail, and ride bikes a bunch.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Would also likely do something with affordable housing, preferably in areas with lots of uppity NIMBYs
    Get out of my head, to borrow a phrase.

Probably work as some sort of small plane pilot for a couple days a week, maybe even just a flight instructor could be fulfilling if you don't need money.

That and attempt to write the countless book ideas that float through my head unfulfilled.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

After H&B, mtn and beach houses and investing it in something so my day to day is covered, I'd probably do some combination of the following:

Woodworking furniture and knicknacks, leaning toward the artsy side of things. Donate sales proceeds to charity, or maybe just drop them off at a thrift shop and let them deal with selling it.
    Occasional work for habitat for humanity or local equal. Probably organize or sponsor an event or two.
    Just building stuff. I guess I lean toward wood.

But mostly I'd like to think I'd spend some time being a quiet generous benefactor for random individuals and go do cool shit. Like I meet some folks on the lift that seem cool and can rip, I tell them to meet me here tomorrow morning because a spot opened up in the heli and just randomly spread happiness on the occasional whim. Or giving a kid a board when it's clear he's just making due with some terrible gear but they have heart. Hell, I could probably do well in music stores buying kids their first guitar on the condition that when they make it big, I get a backstage pass whenever I want. Basically just making people feel like it's their lucky day.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I’m strongly aligned with the people that say yes you can. And I’m here to say that’s pretty much what I do.

My lottery win was a firefighter retirement in my early 50s (and paying off the mortgage). Since then I’ve only taken jobs that amused me or where I would learn something. Mostly I’ve worked movie extra, gear shop, a little landscaping, and pro patrol. The gear shop for a few years and patrol (and trail crew) was where I learned tons of stuff, especially patrol. But I haven’t worked year-round since I retired, and now I’m not going to take any more jobs, I’ll be fully retired. I fly fish, ride, travel, climb and hike, and ski at areas and bc. And it’s fkna great.

Yeah, I read a fair amount, my old house and yard get tons of attention, I wrench some, stay current on cultcha, I’m a fair cook, etc. I always said that I’m able to amuse myself, I don’t need a job to stay busy.
    Can I be you when I grow up?
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I would move to the Tetons, build trail, and ride bikes a bunch.
    I see what you did there...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Hypothetically...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    get out of my head

you too
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    While we are at it, I think the toot/tramps campaign may be longer than 6 months.
    Are you ready to join like-minded snow sliding enthusiasts? Well all I can say is, come join in the fun!

And after I come to, months later, I’d buy a Swan or some other beautiful cruiser sloop. Bored with all that money and need a job?

Buy a sailboat. You’ll work for the rest of your life.
    I still call it The Jake.