Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Post Lotto Win Employment

Hypothetically...

You win an easy $500mil in the lotto.

You buy the beach house, the house at the mountain, the Beechcraft to fly back and forth...

You spend 6mos doing the hookers and blow thing...

Now what? You can’t spend 365days a year on the bike/skis/surf...

What’s that one job you would still work 1 or 2 days a week? Starting building skis? Start welding up bike frames?

Running the riding mower on the Pebble Beach 18th Hole 1 day a week?

For me, not sure... maybe building custom dog houses on commission, only for pups I jive with that can do a solid retrieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickwm21; 08-19-2020 at 04:11 PM.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Machine bike parts. Learn to weld frames. Keep doing my normal job, just half time. Learn to tune EFI. Learn to build/program Arduino stuff.

Volunteer with any number of 501 c’s?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    ...Now what? You can’t spend 365days a year on the bike/skis/surf...

Yes I absolutely fucking can.

Hypothetically...

I'd quit my day job for sure. But would be way busier with all the other projects I'd pick up. Plus trail building and road trips. Volunteering. Only work with people I want to work with.

I was off work for almost 2 yrs before my current job. Found myself way busier than when I was working, doing all the stuff you don't have time for when you have a normal full time job.

I just had this conversation with a co-worker last week! Spend some time traveling, but then what? I'd volunteer. I'd want to do something, but having a part-time job would feel wrong because it would be taking a job from someone else. But then, people don't seem to want to work these days, so maybe a part time job doing something I'd enjoy. I would definitely not keep working my current job,

My parent's neighbors won $12 mil maybe 20 years ago in the lotto. He was a mechanic at DuPont. He tried to keep working, but people would not stop harassing them for money. He ended up quitting, built a nice, but not fancy, house on the golf course. Probably only cost him $300k when he built it. Built his son a house too, probably about $200k. Bought himself a little bit of land and runs 100 head of registered Angus. So, he works on his little ranch and he and his wife spend time with their grandkids, travel occasionally, but again, nothing lavish. Some of the nicest people, most down to earth people I've ever met.

Name:  two-chicks.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  39.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Now what? You can’t spend 365days a year on the bike/skis/surf...
    My retired father begs to differ.

Personally, I like the idea of trail building and some volunteer work. Maybe grow shrooms and/or extract DMT.

I would run a foundation to give away most of the money to worthy nonprofits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Yes I absolutely fucking can.

Hypothetically...
    I'm with her.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I would like to work in some sort of caregiver role, maybe as a CNA at a hospital. A lot of those positions are part time and have pretty flexible hours, leaving plenty of free days for skiing and biking, etc. You need to get certified, but the course only costs like $700. Some places offer on-the-job training so you can skip the course and get paid for the training. It would be nice to actually feel like I was doing something that was helping other people, a lot more than my current job anyway. In fact I'm pretty close to the point where I can do this, but COVID was a reality check and made me decide I'd rather wait until the pandemic is under control. For the money it's not worth the risk of bringing that virus home. But eventually I'd like to work two or three shifts a week at a hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    If I truly had fuck you money, this is actually what I would do. It would allow me to work as much or as little as I wanted.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Trail build, volunteer with local SAR.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Name:  two-chicks.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  39.2 KB
    I LOL'd.......Good plan.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If I truly had fuck you money, this is actually what I would do. It would allow me to work as much or as little as I wanted.
    I certainly would give away most of it. Ultimately, I'm a pretty simple man. I couldn't spend a fraction of $500M even if I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I certainly would give away most of it. Ultimately, I'm a pretty simple man. I couldn't spend a fraction of $500M even if I tried.
    I would probably buy some chunks of land in places I care about and place them in some kind of trust. I can think of big parcels of the local shoreline trail that are under constant threat of development or sale.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    No reason to give most of it away. With $500MM invested you could give away $20MM per year and never run out. I'd rather do that than give it all away too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I would probably buy some chunks of land in places I care about and place them in some kind of trust. I can think of big parcels of the local shoreline trail that are under constant threat of development or sale.
    I like that. I heard the Ogden bike park might get sold to developers. That would suck, it's pretty rad.

I'd hire a killer alt country band and go on tour. Emmylou to sing backup. How bad could my singing sound with her singing harmony? I'd hire James McMurty and Steve Earle to write songs for us.

Well, let's be clear here. You win $500 million, then you have to pay the man. Also, if you are taking the lump sum, you start off with $250 mil, and then pay the man. So, now you are down to about $162.5, give or take a few million. But wait, it's still not over unless you live in a state with no state income tax. Cool beans for you folks in WA, AK, FL, TX, NV, WY! So, you could be looking at about $150 million when all is said and done.

Sure, you can still retire on that, but you might not be living super large and in charge.

Having said all that, I would invest the majority of it in a diversified portfolio, and try not to dig too much into the principal.

I might then invest in a wood shop, and start doing some small projects like I used to do with my grandfather when I was a kid. Building jewelry boxes, napkin holders, and candle holders. I would also get more into photography. And finish getting that pilot's license thingy I had started way back in HS....Then buy into a fractional jet service and chase storms all winter, while everyone else flew commercial.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    So, you could be looking at about $150 million when all is said and done.

Sure, you can still retire on that, but you might not be living super large and in charge.
    I beg to differ. I could retire and live the great life on 1/20th of that. I would be living super large and in charge with $150M.

I like my current job (I'm a professor) and just undertook a project I'd want to see through, so I don't think I'd quit my dayjob for a couple of years. When I did, I might teach a class or two here and there. i'd write a novel (does that count as a job?). I like woodworking and might try to sell some stuff, if just to give me an excuse to build more.

If I truly had "fuck you" money, I'd want to build my own boarding school/college that integrated academics/service/outdoor activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    At somewhere around half a million a month in income on that 160 mil, my definition of large and in charge has been met.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I beg to differ. I could retire and live the great life on 1/20th of that. I would be living super large and in charge with $150M.
    This.

I'd find plenty of joy in doing nothing at all.