Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Question Canadian Permanent Residency

Does anyone here have any experience or advice about applying for permanent residency in Canada?

My secondhand info probably isn't that helpful, but my friends that pulled it off did one of two things.
    1- Went to UBC, and from there, straight to work in BC
    2- Went in with money and a business plan. The business plan basically showed that if successful, they could then hire Canadians = more jobs for Canadians, which is good, right? In one case, that's exactly what happened, starting a coffee company. In another case, it just meant that my friend's "Canadian company" would be hired and paid, rather than him personally, as an American.

I'm assuming you probably Googled this already and may, instead, be looking for 'insider tips' but this website may be helpful.

https://moving2canada.com/immigratio...ent-residency/

Considering we can't even go across the border right now, it seems a stretch that getting residency there will be a walk in the park but, believe me, you're not the only one who's been thinking about this over the past while.

ETA - Here's another interesting website that has a quick self-check to see if you may or may not be eligible for immigration.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

Yep, just saw that Express Entry website. The "quick check" isn't so quick, though. For example the second question requires you to say whether you've passed the language test. Obviously I'll be able to pass the English test, but I haven't taken it.

I think ml242 has done this (well he's living in Canada and he used to live in the US, but maybe he's a citizen), you might PM him.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    2- Went in with money and a business plan. The business plan basically showed that if successful, they could then hire Canadians = more jobs for Canadians, which is good, right? In one case, that's exactly what happened, starting a coffee company. In another case, it just meant that my friend's "Canadian company" would be hired and paid, rather than him personally, as an American.
    My second hand info is the same. Had a friend move to Seattle and then debated trying to get residency and he said the above was about the only feasible way he found, without marrying a Canadian or doing the student -> Canadian job route.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I’ve got a Canadian passport I don’t use.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There is also a guided point estimator that starts at the bottom of the link below. Easy immigration even under the skilled worker/express entry program seems tough without buying in or other ties to the country.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

As I understand, Canada immigration has its own internal ""linkedin" like database. You create a profile and when Canada has a need for employees with your particular skills, you may be selected and offered a chance to immigrate. They want young people with skills they need (i.e. computer programmer, engineer, health care). Old people are just going to mooch off the government. As an aside, Trump would like the US to have a similar merit based immigration system (rather than the current US system, which focuses on family relationship, asylum, and diversity lottery).

You can own a second home in Canada and stay there for up to six months at a time. You can go back to the US for one day and reset the 6 month clock. However, the 6 months is supposed to be a vacation so if the Canada border guard thinks you are abusing the system by essentially living in Canada full time other than an occasional US visa run, you run the risk of the border guard denying you entry.

For retirement, I have my eye on some locations very close to the Canadian border with skiing close by where I can still live in the US (and take advantage of primary residence capital gains exclusion when I sell) but still recreate daily in Canada and take advantage of their awesome aquatic centers. Still have to use US healthcare but other advantage is almost everything is cheaper in the US and don't have to try to illegal sneak the stuff into Canada. Also, in general, property/municipal tax is less in US than Canada. In general, Canada like to scare away Americans from buying their real estate by taxing them heavily and passing laws that prevent foreigners from making their Canada home a short term rental. Don't get a DUI if you want to go this route.

If Trump gets reelected perhaps you can claim political asylum?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    You can own a second home in Canada and stay there for up to six months at a time. You can go back to the US for one day and reset the 6 month clock. However, the 6 months is supposed to be a vacation so if the Canada border guard thinks you are abusing the system by essentially living in Canada full time other than an occasional US visa run, you run the risk of the border guard denying you entry.
    This is interesting. I'd always read that essentially you can only live in Canada half time without permanent residency. It would certainly be easy enough to take a vacation in the U.S. if that "resets the clock," but does that really work? It seems like it violates the entire spirit of the "max 50%" thing. Of course you aren't really mooching off the Canadian system without permanent residency, so not sure why they'd care all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    This is interesting. I'd always read that essentially you can only live in Canada half time without permanent residency. It would certainly be easy enough to take a vacation in the U.S. if that "resets the clock," but does that really work? It seems like it violates the entire spirit of the "max 50%" thing. Of course you aren't really mooching off the Canadian system without permanent residency, so not sure why they'd care all that much.
    The border guys will catch on quick, so meeeh. I am assuming you would work from home (in Canada for a US company) as you could not work in Canada.

Look on the website and see if you have the skills needed and if yes apply. Both my single and cute daughters have Canadian citizenship, are not in serious relationships and are likely open to meeting 30ish young men that have their shit very together and are on task to make bank. PM your application to pass on
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Both my single and cute daughters have Canadian citizenship
    Well, you know what you have to do now...

Both my single and cute daughters have Canadian citizenship, are not in serious relationships and are likely open to meeting 30ish young men that have their shit very together and are on task to make bank. PM your application to pass on
    Ha ha. This sounds great other than I'm 50 and married! Is polygamy going to be legal in Canada anytime soon?

Ha ha. This sounds great other than I'm 50 and married!
    There are a bunch of polygamists in the Kootenays. Time for a lifestyle change.

The border guys will catch on quick, so meeeh. I am assuming you would work from home (in Canada for a US company) as you could not work in Canada.

Look on the website and see if you have the skills needed and if yes apply. Both my single and cute daughters have Canadian citizenship, are not in serious relationships and are likely open to meeting 30ish young men that have their shit very together and are on task to make bank. PM your application to pass on
    How much for the little girl? I want to buy your women.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Well, you know what you have to do now...
    And why would I have nekkid pics? I am Canadian not Amurican from Kentucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Ha ha. This sounds great other than I'm 50 and married!
    If you're serious about becoming a Canadian...

Wasn’t it determined in the other thread that Buffalo is Canada?

Might be easier than you think.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Wasn’t it determined in the other thread that Buffalo is Canada?

Might be easier than you think.
    True. And if you're a Blue Jays fan...

There's really no reason to go to Canada anymore. We have good beer here now.

I'd always read that essentially you can only live in Canada half time without permanent residency. It would certainly be easy enough to take a vacation in the U.S. if that "resets the clock," but does that really work? It seems like it violates the entire spirit of the "max 50%" thing. Of course you aren't really mooching off the Canadian system without permanent residency, so not sure why they'd care all that much.
    You are correct. You can legally do a visa run and reset the clock (just like Canadians in the US could do a visa run back to Canada and reset the clock). But you are always at the whim of the border guard, so not advisable. I think you could get away with primary house in US, second home in Canada. Go to Canada for a few months, back in the US for a few months, ect, ect. If most time in US, then strong claim you are not abusing visa rules. Canada can deny entry for any reason they want (as can US). I have friend who is model US citizen, no criminal history, worked for NOLS, fancy college grad. She was denied entry in Canada because border guard didn't like her fully loaded subaru (she was doing a multi-month road trip). Thought she was trying to illegally immigrate.

True. And if you're a Blue Jays fan...

There's really no reason to go to Canada anymore. We have good beer here now.
    I forgot they gave the Jays now. Win-win.

It’s cold, grey, snowy and they have hockey. I’d say it checks all the boxes.
    I still call it The Jake.

They also have Tim Hortons.

Maybe check out the rural and northern communities immigration pilot program. There's one for the Kootenays (Nelson and area), and one for Vernon set up.

But please fix your mess south of the line first. It's bleeding over the border despite the closure anyways. If you don't, and shit continues as is, you'll just be coming to no-man's land BC between China and the US. Maybe Texas North will have enough of a buffer, but I doubt it.

True. And if you're a Blue Jays fan....
    Would I have to renounce my Tigers fanship?